Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Baja 5B vs. Duratrax Firehammer

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 08:05 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Baja 5B vs. Duratrax Firehammer

I'm fairly experiencec with electric and nitro powered RC cars, as well as with helicopters, but want to try the 1/5 scale gas scene. The baja 5B seems to get a lot more attention than the firehammer, and also seems to have more aftermarket parts. The firehammer is a tad cheaper however. I've had great experiences with HPI and Duratrax in the past, so I'm pretty torn. Any suggestions? At this point im leaning towards the Baja since there is so much more information and advice out there.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 07-05-2007, 08:45 PM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Baja 5B vs. Duratrax Firehammer

Ive had both.
I have kept the Baja.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:23 PM
NitroBurn1

I have the Smartech Spider, same as Firehammer, and i bought it because i got it for 560 dollars shipped off ebay. If you can afford the Baja go ahead and get it.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:52 AM
Dirby

i too have had both .
got rid of the firehammer and now i have two Baja's
get the Baja and you will never go wrong.
get the firehammer and you will be selling it almost as quick as you got it.
Baja rules.
Dirby
Old 07-06-2007, 01:05 AM
sheograth

alright, thats what I was thinking.

Time to put a dent in my wallet.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:44 AM
Baja5BLST

Check ebay, they are cheaper. I believe it's Mac Hobbies. They got it for 900.
Here it is: http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-1-5-SCALE-BA...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-06-2007, 07:43 AM
csp1971

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Baja rules.
It's cool.
I like it.
Firehammer sucks.

Dirby
Old 07-06-2007, 08:59 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

I had 2 firehamers and they rock.........and they need minor hop-ups too keep them going.....I also have a BAJA and It ALSO needs some minor hop-ups too keep it going......The firehammer is a Is worth the 800 if you ask me..But the HPI is also worth the 900also, just wish they would've gave a better radio....
Old 07-06-2007, 08:59 AM
wyd

I have the FH and like it alot. I run with all Baja's but I hate being the same as everyone else so I went with the Firehammer. Really like the car.

All cars will have problems. We sold 9 Baja's at are shop and my Firehammer. The only ones that broke so far are the Baja's. Is it because suck...no but the guys who have them beat the cars. So far 3 broken shock shafts, one siezed motor, 2 blown trasnsmissions, numerous tie rods, tires blowing off rims all the time, and radio going bad.

I'm going to say one car is better than the other or say one sucks like many like to so. Why because in 25 years and working at 4 hobbyshops 95% of the time it is abuse that breaks the cars. Over the years I see guys posting about how everything sucks and when I end up meeting them again most of the time I see why stuff fails.

My Firehammer is not abused and my best friends Baja is not abused. Guess what they are the only two at are shop that have not broken. Plus RTR cars do fall apart if they are not gone over and I don't care who makes them Associated, Losi, Duratrax, Traxxas, and so on we have them fall apart and brought into are shop almost daily. I have never just had cars break from any company unless I beat it down and then I expect it.

These cars/trucks can only take so much punishment and then at 20 plus lbs something must give.

Always buy the car you want and work with it. You are the only one that has to like it.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:55 AM
csp1971

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a Firehammer MT and just ordered a Baja. I hate the responses from some people that give absolutely no reason for their opinion. I was just being a smartass.

I like my FHMT and I don't think I'll be selling it anytime soon.

Wyd you are exactly correct!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:43 AM
wyd

ORIGINAL: csp1971

I have a Firehammer MT and just ordered a Baja. I hate the responses from some people that give absolutely no reason for their opinion. I was just being a smartass.

I like my FHMT and I don't think I'll be selling it anytime soon.

Wyd you are exactly correct!
Thanks. I'm not going to say they FH is better because it is not. I think for most people the Baja is a better fit as it does have alot more hopups (people love hopups) and I would say shops will carry more Baja stuff like are shop does. IF you like to be different like me then the FH might be for you. I'm not what I consider hard on my stuff so it may be/not be a fair assessment on how my cars last. Just trying to be honest.

csp1971 I think in some occasisons some products do suck. Working at a shop and having sponsors when I'm racing touring cars I try to keep from bashing anything because when working at a shop I try my best to give unbiased opinions on products. I know when guys looks for a gas buggy I actually steer them towards the Baja.........why because are shop has about 75% or the parts in stock which customers love and truely think it overall a better buggy than my FH. I'm totally satisfied with my choice of the FH because it offered me a little different look and lets say a challenge to make it better than when I bought it
Old 07-06-2007, 02:44 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

I like my FH. The Baja came out a year after I bought my buggy. Knowing what I know now I would have quite a quandry on my hands as to what to get. I have read many dozen times about all large scale models. Nobody is without design and manufacturing weaknesses. There is also hop-up support. It is actually pretty amazing that only 12 months after the Baja 5B release there is so many upgrade parts around - especially from HPI. Duratrax has not released ANY hopups for the Firehammer buggy or the truck except alloy uprights, alloy shock tower and alloy diff case/sleeve - very pathetic hop-up support by any measure.

If I had the budget to buy another gasser I'd be tempted to get an all-alloy buggy or truck like the Horman or Lauterbacher simply because they look really sweet and complete. I'm sure these would have weaknesses also. The MCD 4x4 buggy and monster truck also are very tempting. All of these vehichles would set me back close to $2000 for an RTR setup.

For less than $1000 you will get what you pay for in terms of quality and durability. I beat the crap out of my Firehammer buggy and expect things to break sometimes. Its fun to tear it down, fix it and put it back together. That's what makes it a hobby for me.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Baja5BLST

ORIGINAL: wyd

I have the FH and like it alot. I run with all Baja's but I hate being the same as everyone else so I went with the Firehammer. Really like the car.

All cars will have problems. We sold 9 Baja's at are shop and my Firehammer. The only ones that broke so far are the Baja's. Is it because suck...no but the guys who have them beat the cars. So far 3 broken shock shafts, one siezed motor, 2 blown trasnsmissions, numerous tie rods, tires blowing off rims all the time, and radio going bad.

I'm going to say one car is better than the other or say one sucks like many like to so. Why because in 25 years and working at 4 hobbyshops 95% of the time it is abuse that breaks the cars. Over the years I see guys posting about how everything sucks and when I end up meeting them again most of the time I see why stuff fails.

My Firehammer is not abused and my best friends Baja is not abused. Guess what they are the only two at are shop that have not broken. Plus RTR cars do fall apart if they are not gone over and I don't care who makes them Associated, Losi, Duratrax, Traxxas, and so on we have them fall apart and brought into are shop almost daily. I have never just had cars break from any company unless I beat it down and then I expect it.

These cars/trucks can only take so much punishment and then at 20 plus lbs something must give.

Always buy the car you want and work with it. You are the only one that has to like it.
2 blown trannies? What the hell did they do to manage that one?
Old 07-06-2007, 05:15 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Baja5BLST

Baja's are known for blowing their diffs....cause they are not properly filled from the factory....Thats why it is a must too check them before you use them too make sure they are filled.....maybe thats what he is talking about?
Old 07-06-2007, 06:03 PM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

Side by side.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96301.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	717505   Click image for larger version

Name:	It98627.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	717506  
Old 07-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Slammed

GREAT POST THANKS
Ive been wanting to see them side by side

ORIGINAL: teamchrome

Side by side.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:29 PM
wyd

You know you always have the guy who can break anything.........this is the guy. I'm not sure how he does it other than he will run down an asphalt parking lot and just pitch it sideways and whack the gas again and again like that. After the 2nd one we have tried building the transmission and put Lucus Oil in the spyder gears to see if this would help. So far so good no more problems after doing that. The same guys have broken two shock shafts, burned out the radio receiver, blew numerous tires off rims (both new and old bead locks) and is getting ready to put in a DDM 26cc stroker motor (like he needs this ).
Old 07-06-2007, 08:31 PM
wyd

ORIGINAL: hndaman1

Baja's are known for blowing their diffs....cause they are not properly filled from the factory....Thats why it is a must too check them before you use them too make sure they are filled.....maybe thats what he is talking about?
When my buddy rebuilt the last one for him he used Lucus Oil in it and no more problems. It has seemed to hold up well to his abouse since then. Believe me when I say this guy can beat up any large scale buggy or truck.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Baja5BLST

I sent my tire(only the tire, not the wheel) flying through the air. was funny
Old 07-07-2007, 03:50 AM
mopar jake

baja hands down it is light years ahead in design and durability over the firehammer i had a firehammer mt the pos woudent even start brand new out of the box. i sold it and bought my baja and i never looked back.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:14 AM
Baja5BLST

I'd give reasons to get the Baja over the FH, since an ugly post will only anger others.
I have only a Baja, and I just got it. It's basically stock, except for metal gears in the servo, and that I gutted the stock pipe. I must say that this thing is amazing. It's extremely fast. And you will be surprised at how quickly it will cover ground. It's scary. I'm running in a yard that's 300+ feet long, and I can only hold it at full throttle for maybe 3 seconds before it's shot from end to end. I love it. A bit scary though, since the stock brakes on the Baja are not the best. Certainly not 1/8 truggy or buggy braking, which is what I'm used to.
In order to fix the lack of braking, I simply took fuel tubing, and replaced that spring on the brake. Voila, better braking for next to nothing.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:05 AM
wyd

I sent my tire(only the tire, not the wheel) flying through the air. was funny
So far I seen one tire spit in 1/2 because it was bald so the shop owner said where going to burn it up. He kept spinning the tires on the asphalt til the tire was so thin it tore in 1/2. lol The other one was actually the tire foam blew out but the tire stayed on the rim.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:38 PM
devo208

I have a firehammer and it makes me want a baja buggie, but my firehammer is fast as hell its hard to get a grip . In the dirt its a blast but i put street tires on it and on the street no grip just keep spinning out very powerfull
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36072.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	717886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11177.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	717887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb74051.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	717888  
Old 07-07-2007, 11:45 PM
wyd

If it is loose on the street you more than likley need a stickier rear tire. The stock tires are very loose on asphalt but are really good in dirt and grass. I have some new tires I'm mounting up and will get some pics of it soon.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:10 AM
sheograth

Yeah I ordered a set of Asphalt busters as well, figured I'd use them a fair amount as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.