RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

A TALE OF MY FIRST MT5 BASHING SESSION

Old 07-11-2007, 07:45 PM
eps75

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default A TALE OF MY FIRST MT5 BASHING SESSION

well i finally got a chance to run my new mt5. Man does this thing have some serious power.
Everything was going great!! Shredding my grass, and the neighbors just for fun when the set
screws on the spur gear shaft backed out. It stumped me for about 5 min. ,tightened it back down
and away we went!! After dinner, went back out to play and was running it around my yard, I went to
go shoot across the lawn and go tearing down the street when the throttle and steering both cut out and.....
the SOB was headed full throttle with no way to steer towards my neighbors van. Luckily it slammed
into the back tire. Needless to say the body now looks like it was entered into a demolition derby, but
actually straightened back out pretty decently, the paint is trashed, and a few teeth on the spur gear are chipped. Other than
that.....nothing. These things are pretty durable....I was sure I would be rebuilding the front end. What
had happened was .....I never mounted the on off switch, with running it around it my yard it had moved
from where I had it tucked away.....unfortunately it moved in front of the throttle servo sooooooo, when
I went to go blazin' down the street, the servo arm on the throttle servo moved forward and turned off the switch.
How is that for some bull !$#^&. MAN I LOVE THIS HOBBY. Can't wait to do it again tomarrow
Old 07-11-2007, 07:59 PM
TheFgMan01

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: A TALE OF MY FIRST MT5 BASHING SESSION

LOL thats awsome sounds like your having a blast with it. wait untill you install a pipe
Old 07-11-2007, 09:11 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Make sure your batterys are FULLY charged ... and if you havent by the sounds of things INVEST in a GOOD radio .. dont be running a High Dollar RC with a crap radio , your looking for trouble .
Old 07-11-2007, 09:18 PM
NitroBurn1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Man that was lucky it hit the tire, a 20 + pound truck could leave a big dent in a van.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:12 PM
Dave ESPI

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yo got lucky with that runaway truck !

I'm adding in a kill switch to mine next as I really do fear that happening with a weird chance of something going haywire.

Nice to know that your "toy" is a seriously well built hunk of ram-device eh?

I should have mine back up and running this weekend from my 45 mph slam into a concreete light pole incedent that wrecked my MT quite nicely.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:18 AM
mikeinoz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nasty, I've learnt similar lessons the hard way. Fitting a failsafe to 1/5's should be law. I know it wouldn't have helped in this case, only a throttle return spring would have saved it but you just cant take chances with these large scales, they could kill a small child.
Worst runaway I had was with a EK4 with the .70 nitro. Crystal came loose (I always wrap tape around the Rx now) and it went full boar across an oval, across the road, smashed into the gutter, kept going up the gutter across the footpath, smashed into a fence spun around and kept going up the street then finally quit due to head bolts coming loose []
Old 07-12-2007, 05:01 PM
eps75

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ya it all was pretty sweet, there is just a p.o.s. radio in it. That is the first thing to replace.
Also, there is a throttle return spring on it but obviously it is too weak to push the servo back.
I have to replace that too, and along with a fail safe!! After that....I think I will put a pipe on it,
a cat 5 spur gear set...The plastic one wasn't completely trashed during my little "incident", and
some upgraded suspension parts. I still can't believe that this thing didn't completely blow apart.
Well I am off to go see what else I can break!! I LOVE IT[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 07-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Pigsmightfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It doesn't take much to return the throttle servo to neutral, just put a bit more pre-load in the spring.