RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Hitec 5745MG Servo

Old 07-16-2007, 07:58 PM
huw4027

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hitec 5745MG Servo

I am not trying to thrash this servo but just to share my experiences with it
which are not quite good. While the servo works very well it is not durable
at all because i have had two of them go bad on me on two different rides.[:@]
Is it just me or is anyone else having problems with it.[8D]
Old 07-16-2007, 08:03 PM
sugelle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hitec 5745MG Servo

I've used Hitec digital servos in all my trucks (T Maxx, Savage and CEN Genesis) and 1/8 scale nitro buggies and never had any issues (knock on wood). Maybe just bad luck for you? Did you set your EPA so you're not stressing the servos trying to work past the end points?
Old 07-16-2007, 08:13 PM
huw4027

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: sugelle

I've used Hitec digital servos in all my trucks (T Maxx, Savage and CEN Genesis) and 1/8 scale nitro buggies and never had any issues (knock on wood). Maybe just bad luck for you? Did you set your EPA so you're not stressing the servos trying to work past the end points?
This is a 1/4 scale servo so it can't be used on nitro vehicles.I have both the 5645MG & 5995TG on my nitros and no problems there. [8D]
Old 07-16-2007, 09:08 PM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you don't set the end point adjustment to 90-95% max you will fry the servo. If you plug in the servo and it goes bad immediately, then the board is shot(happens due to shipping, etc). If it is working for a while than craps out, your epa is too high and you probably burned the board out.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Dave ESPI

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RC NUT is correct. I toasted my 805 that I use for stearing as it was not set up with the TX for end point adjustment, and I would be able to "slap" the wheels right and left. It eventualy just died out and wouldn't turn right ( left only) occasionaly so I replaced it, and found out about the ratio setting ( of course AFTER IT HAPPENED.. ARGH)
Old 07-17-2007, 04:27 PM
sugelle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: huw4027

ORIGINAL: sugelle

This is a 1/4 scale servo so it can't be used on nitro vehicles.I have both the 5645MG & 5995TG on my nitros and no problems there. [8D]

Sorry...I realize that the 5745MG is 1/4 scale..I forgot to mention that I have been using one in my Baja with no issues and in general I have used the HiTec brand for several years without any issues in my 1/8 scale buggy and other vehicles.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:54 PM
huw4027

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the 805bb in both my Baja 5B and my Cat Sportline Truck and there are
no problems. [8D]
Old 07-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Big Boys Toys and Hobbies

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Huw4027, When I set up your cat truck I set the EPA for you. Over stressing the servo will make them go out.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:44 PM
VegaNate

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have burned up 2 in my MCD Monster. Both on the throttle. I guess now I know what is making them go out. Hopefully Hitec will fix them if I send them back. Thanks for the info guys!--nate
Old 07-18-2007, 04:06 AM
PAPE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok I am a bit confused here. I have burnt 3 of them on my 4th now. I always set the servo with the front tires in the air and adjust it one side at a time till the knucle arm stopers just rest against the A-arm, not forced just resting next to it, my epa may be something like 120% one side and 126% the other side, but the servo is never forced. What yours all saing is to adjust my endpoint to 95%?? If I do this I wont have full stearing meaning my turning radious will be bigger, is this what your all saing?
Old 07-18-2007, 04:10 AM
PAPE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ohh and about the board, I have never had one that the board burns, I have opened them all and the board and the rails are all intact, thre are some black rectangular things with a hole on them and 3 legs, thats what burns on my servos not the board
Old 07-18-2007, 07:55 AM
sugelle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pape,

The object is to set the servo End Point Adjustment (EPA) so that it does not try to work past its physical limits. I normally find that limit and then back it off several clicks. Their is no target percentage that I use, it varies by application. If you need help setting it, take it to your LHS or fellow racer and they can show you how. That's what I used to do before I got the hang of it.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:52 AM
8000ft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In this application (fgmt5 steering) this servo sucks...............it's just to much abuse for it. Even when the EPAs are set right the strain of keeping those big tires pointed in a continous turn just burns the digi up in no time. I went through three of them untill I went to the dual 805 set up, sense then I haven't had any more steering issues.

Do you really need digi for steering an off road truck? On road I can see it where an exact line through a turn is manditory, but in off roading straight lines are borring.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:59 AM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have had a hitec 5735 in my Monster Beetle for 3 years and it still works perfect. In all my vehicles, I have only had one 5745 burn out and that was when I first plugged it in to test it. Every single FG i set up with these servos and set the epa to 95%, to this date I have not had one customer come back to say the servo burnt out. That is going on over 3 1/2 years and probably over 100 vehicles.

The servos burn out when you are doing wide long turns with the servo extended to the extreme left or right for a long period of time. The board in the servo heats up under the stress and it blows the resisters causing the servo to fail. Hitec does not alway warranty the servos if it is drive error. if you are sending them back, just say you plugged it in to test it and it did not work from the start. (make sure the servo is spotless. If they see proof of the case being opened, they will not warranty the servo. Just an fyi out there.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Dave ESPI

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: PAPE

ok I am a bit confused here. I have burnt 3 of them on my 4th now. I always set the servo with the front tires in the air and adjust it one side at a time till the knucle arm stopers just rest against the A-arm, not forced just resting next to it, my epa may be something like 120% one side and 126% the other side, but the servo is never forced. What yours all saing is to adjust my endpoint to 95%?? If I do this I wont have full stearing meaning my turning radious will be bigger, is this what your all saing?

PAPE, If you are running a DX3 radio, you can utelize the *C button on your TX to override the ratios you set, and get full response range for stearing. There is a set-up screen option for it in the AUX section of your programming.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:09 AM
PAPE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dave ESPI

ORIGINAL: PAPE

PAPE, If you are running a DX3 radio, you can utelize the *C button on your TX to override the ratios you set, and get full response range for stearing. There is a set-up screen option for it in the AUX section of your programming.

Dave I use a M8 on all my cars for over 5 years I have always set the end point adjusment correctly but the servos always burn I dont know why all of them the same way they turn one way but not the other, I was thinking of going with the dual servo stering I think that the only way to overcome burning the servos well the cheap 1/4 scale servos.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:20 AM
jasrx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

when i had my FG MT i went through 2 gear sets on the steering servo using the 5745 MG servo ..
but i dont have any steering troubles anymore cause the FG MT went to a new home
Old 07-20-2007, 12:55 PM
Dave ESPI

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

JASRX... lol.. yeah, that WOULD be a solution.... but not one I want to do at this point in time.

PAPE, ther is a partial metal gear build kit that came out as a hop up for the 805 with the HPI buggy that replaces some the plastic ones in the HITEC servo. Python Racing has it on their site. A dual set up may be the way to go, but not sure yet. Obviously 2 servos doing the load of one is easier on the gears, but the circut boards are what take the damages I fear.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:07 PM
PAPE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have not only burnt the hitecs but also the hobbicos and now I am giving a try at the towerhobbies servo and so far so good, but if it burns I will do a dual set up

ohh and I have never broken a gear only the spline on time on a hitec, real easy quik fix when you got many of the same servos burnt in your tool box
Old 07-20-2007, 04:16 PM
TheFgMan01

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ooop's My EPA has be set at 125 for the longest time on both R/C's but they havent burned out on me.. only time i replaced it was when my truck went for a swim last winter. on accident though. all my LHS carries is for large scale is the 5745. but i'd like to find something stronger for the truck eventually. But there good enough for buggies
Old 07-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Vette09

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The only servos that I would consider better are the Multiplex Rhino and the Tonnegawa ps-050. The Tonnegawa servo is a robot servo and there is a guy, Ian Oddie, in Europe that modifies them. I don't know the exact specs but its somewhere around 40 kg/cm at 6 volts and 50 kg/cm at 7.4 volts with a transit speed of around .12 sec. It also weighs around 10 oz, so it's pretty heavy. Considering the Hitec 5745 puts out 18 kg/cm, I'd say thats a lot of torque. I run a 5745 myself because of the availability of the Hitec and the price. It's a great servo for the money, I think the Tonnegawa servo is something like 300$ - 400$. But it is the best of the best from the research I have done. If they were more available here in the states, I would definitely have one in my FG Competition and my Marder buggy. Hell, I'd probably throw one in my Savage too!
Old 07-20-2007, 04:43 PM
sugelle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I thought the Multiplex Rhino DIGI 4 was actually rated less torque than the 5745MG???
Old 07-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Vette09

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I believe the Rhino is rated around 24 kg/cm. The Hitec is 18 kg/cm.