Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Firehammer MT Dogbones Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:45 PM
csp1971

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Firehammer MT Dogbones Question

I have just snapped a second Firehammer MT dogbone. I just put a new dogbone in the outdrive coming off the differential and the end of the dogbone doesn't move very well. This was happening with the last one that snapped. I took a dremel to the inside of the outdrive to make sure there weren't any metal burrs. I did that before this dogbone and now with the new one it is rough again. Make sense? Has anyone else had this problem? The diff is smooth and there are no "catches" when it spins.

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2007, 08:51 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Firehammer MT Dogbones Question

My FH buggy dogbones have some play. If your bones don't have a little play in them they could be getting compressed with suspension travel causing the snap.

Is there a visible gap between the wheel-side drive cup and the wheel bearings? Maybe your wheel blocks are not in the right spot causing the outside drive cups to be spaced wrong on the inside of the wheel hubs.

Can you post some close up pictures of the outside drive cups where they make contact with the wheel bearings? Make sure the focus is sharp on the picture so we can spot any gap.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:06 AM
csp1971

I'll post a couple pics tonight! Thanks!
Old 07-11-2007, 10:17 AM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

adjust the turnbuckle on the upper rear arms so they stick out a little further, this will give you some play with the dog bone.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:06 PM
csp1971

Images attached. Let me know what you think. The outdrives were notched bigger when my diff housing blew about 6 weeks ago. This time, I'm not sure what the heck is going on.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:38 PM
hellya

i would swith your rear end to a FG alloy and add ball drives
Old 07-12-2007, 02:27 PM
csp1971

I have FG alloy housing on there now. For the ball drives that are out on HobbyThek's site, do you have to have the FG gears in order for it to work? I wouldn't think so since it is for the Comanche\Attack gears.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:20 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: csp1971

I have FG alloy housing on there now. For the ball drives that are out on HobbyThek's site, do you have to have the FG gears in order for it to work? I wouldn't think so since it is for the Comanche\Attack gears.

Yes.... you need the entire FG diff cause the spider gears are different in size...the ball drives wont work with the Clones diff
Old 07-26-2007, 10:30 PM
csp1971

You must be talking about the FG Ball Drive set, not the Carson Ball Drive set. Carson makes two, one for the Comanche/Attack EVO and the other for the Attack. I believe these are direct replacements that will work with the current gears in the Clones.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:35 PM
csp1971

Oh yeah, i snapped another dogbone tonight and lost the left outdrive. Now I'm just trying to decide what I should do. I have backup dogbones already in the mail from Tower. I just need an outdrive. That particular side snapped 3 dogbones. Maybe it was a blessing having it fly out. [sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 07-26-2007, 11:41 PM
motors4fun

When you assemble it back together again, check to see how much play is in there. I can move my dogbones around a small bit. if yours are tight then that is the culprit. Do like the post above says and spin the turnbuckles out a bit so you get the play you need in there. if it binds up at all thats not good.