RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG lay gear teeth.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:45 AM
PBJT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default FG lay gear teeth.

first off-truck in mention is a FG MT 2 months old-mostly stock.

So I am looking for the honest truth (ok ok, I know its the internet and no likely going to happen) But who has actually replaced something and no longer breaks a tooth anymore.

I have been given advise to replace plastic mtr mounts, check for bent components, reset gear mesh.

Will I will set gear mesh, drive the truck for 5 min and bring it back and the teeth have spread apart. SO I loosen the screw from the triangle bracket from the top of the diff at the mtr and the gap closes back up. I anchored the top of the engine to the diff on both sides rather then just the one side and the lay gear lasts a long time, but still a break another.

I always break them due to spinning hard accelleration and then getting instant traction, or jumping slightly over a rut in the grass and not letting off the gas.

I think my problem is from the narrow rear section of the alluminum frame is flexing where it narrows for the rear suspension which pulls the gears apart on accell, because the rear diff is mounted on this section and rotationg force/torque from the wheels is pulling up trying to wheely the truck, thus flexing/bending at this narrow section I think I will have an alluminum square rod welded down the back 1/3 underside of my frame to keep that rear tounge section from flexing.

Thoughts???

But before this welding, has anyone actually done something and not ever broken another lay/large rear diff gear. I am on number 8 or 9 teeth broken so far.

PBJT
Old 07-23-2007, 02:32 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: FG lay gear teeth.

Well by having the alloy diff supports keeps the rear end firmed up and doesnt flex , i use the alloy mounts large&small with the alloy diff supports and have no issues at all with my meshing or teeth chipping anymore , but it has costed alot of money to get my truck running without any stupid problems
Hope that helps .
Old 07-23-2007, 04:23 PM
hellya

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: FG lay gear teeth.

Replace the stock motor mounts with alloy ones.....if your engine moves even a 1/4 inch your mesh is off