RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Questions about 1/5 scale on-road cars...

Old 07-27-2007, 09:06 PM
phatjoe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Questions about 1/5 scale on-road cars...

Hello:

I've noticed that most folks post threads regarding off roads cars. Curious if you enjoy racing with 1/5 scale on road cars?

Also, I've noticed that my stock 1/5 scale bigfoot tends to be a little sluggish from the line, whereas my 1/8 scale Savage takes off. Obviously this is due to the weight, different engines, exhaust, etc...

Curious, for those of you who own 1/5 scale on road cars, are they a little sluggish as well, similar to their off-road counterparts?

I'm thinking of purchasing an on road car. Not sure if I want to deal with an extremely fast nitro which will be a pain to start, or a 1/5 scale car which may be a little slower, but helluva lot easier to start!

Interested in your thoughts....

pj

Old 07-27-2007, 09:18 PM
vtl1180ny

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Questions about 1/5 scale on-road cars...

It's very different comparing 10th or even 8th scales to 5th scale... 10th and 8th handle very unrealistic compared to 5th, 5th scale handles much like a full size car does. Yes, they don't take off screaming like the little cars do, they require more room to get up to speed... But once you learn how to drive one, you're hooked... There's noting like the screeching tires when you spin out... Check out you tube, there's a lot of videos posted there of the large scale cars running... We race on a makeshift track in a parking lot and still have a ball... I usually bring my nitro cars out with me and many times they just sit while I play with my 5th scale... If you're looking for high speed runs and all out accelleration you're going to be disapointed, that's not what the 5th scales are about...

What car are you thinking of getting?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Mike360

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with VTL. You will be racing other 5th scales were setup and driving skills are what win. On acceleration, the clutch would be the key, get one that works for you. The FG 4 shoe is a good'un, not cheap but worth it.
I get to do practice laps with world champs like Frank Killem and my car has pulled his down the back straights but the turns kill me......I think I do have alot better car this year then ever before, we'll see.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:14 AM
phatjoe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So, I've messed around with the 1/5 scale Baja 5B, and bigfoot. I've also messed around with a 1/10 evader aand 1/8 savage. Both nitro cars are very fast off the line.

Without a doubt the 1/5 scale cars are more realistic. But do the 1/5 scale on road cars have the same hesitation off the line as a 1/5 scale off road vehicle? Just curious if the 1/5 scale on road cars are much faster then the 1/5 off road counterparts....

Old 07-28-2007, 08:03 AM
Vette09

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gear ratio and clutch setup play a huge part with these cars. With a stock clutch taking off from a dead stop there is some sluggishness. But that's cause the shift point is set very low and not adjustable. Just like on a nitro car, if the clutch engages too early, the car will bog. But when racing on-road you very rarely come to a stop coming into or out of a turn so it's not much of an issue. If you still bog a little when accelerating out of a turn, an adjustable clutch will fix that.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:37 AM
vtl1180ny

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the stock clutch on my Technokit and it has just the slightest hesitation off the line... I'm not expecting the get up and go like the little cars though... It's really a lot more like a real car.. If you dump the clutch at 1000 rpm you're going to bog, if you dump it at 4000 rpm you're going to take off a lot quicker.... I'm sure with a different pipe and an adjustable clutch I could get rid of it, but even with the slight bog I can still spin the tires with ease if I'm not careful...

If you enjoy the large scale trucks you'll enjoy the cars also...