RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Senior project/Instant scholarship/Long and Fun Project

Old 08-24-2007, 02:16 PM
BRUSHLESS BASHER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Senior project/Instant scholarship/Long and Fun Project

As the title says, this will be a very long project, that I'm sure I'll have lots of fun with. I plan to design and build cars, but not just any cars, supercars. with that said, this project will get me a scholarship into a good design school, I have several in mind, all of which I have contacted. All said that I could very easily get a full scholarship by building what I plan to build.

Now to the project, I will be building a fully functional 1/5, 1/4, or 1/3 model of a real car. I have decided to make either, a Ford GT, a Saleen S7, a Koenigsegg CCX, a car of my own design, or some other historic race car. The car will have working guages, transmission, motor, TT/supercharger, diferentials, steering, etc... I want to make it, so that if you were small enough you could actually drive it, though I will install slamm servos under the seat, that will be easily removeable, and under the hood, conected to the steering. mostly just to show that the car would actually run with someone in it, if it was full sized.

I will be building the motor first, and build a motor stand for it, where it will be able to run, to use as a senior project, or show to the colleges, in the likely event that the car is not yet finished.

I will be making the car out of the materials that the real car is made out of, either aluminum or carbon fiber, but if it is my own car, it will be carbon fiber, titanium, cromoly steel, and aluminum.

I wil be buying a mill, but other than that I don't know what I will need.

If anyone's interested, I can update these threads with pics, as soon as I get started.

I also plan to contact these companies, if I make a model of an existing car, and get permission/blueprints for the car.

I thought I'd just put this up in a few places, and see what you all think. btw, I'll be working in a very large heated garage, and a large section will be mine, for building this car.

it will be something like this, but I want to make it look alot nicer, but still do it cheaply, and hopefully in less time, so I can get to building real cars. Video of home-made ferrari: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJk4dwoOHSU

Comments, sugestions, advice, all of it is welcome.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:38 PM
bigmodman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Senior project/Instant scholarship/Long and Fun Project

wow...how old are you?and yeah i would like to do something like this too,but im only 15.....and i cant buy a mill or anything yet,b/c i need to finish my 55 willys jeep i own.and here is mine as it stands,well both of them.i just started building 2 years ago....the red one is a late model scaled down from mine.and the other one is a rock crawler i designed.and the little motor is one i ported and polished.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12424.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	748665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37617.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	748666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69390.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	748667  
Old 08-24-2007, 03:33 PM
quarterscalelegends

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is going to be a BIG project. I am positive you will not obtain any blue prints from a full size car manufacturer for this purpose. You will most likely need to by a very scale model and scale all your parts off this example.

Along with the mill, you will need a lathe, brake/press, welder and a mini foundry to cast all the required parts for the engine along with other misc. parts that are throughout the car. I would plan on spending a minimum of 5k on tools, probably closer to 9k. But atleast you can use them for other projects!

Good luck and check out my site for some pictures of 1/4 scale stuff, although thats not really what you are going for, but it may give you some ideas?
Old 08-24-2007, 03:36 PM
vtl1180ny

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good Luck...

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/30/v...ly-functional/
Old 08-24-2007, 03:49 PM
BRUSHLESS BASHER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

^^ what about it, I posted the same thing in the original post.

as for tools, I have all but the mill, so another $500 for a small mill should do. and why souldn't they let me build the car? many companies have had people build things like this, not of this caliber, but still, why wouldn't they, I have already contacted saleen, ford, koenigsegg, and lamborghini. I only did it yesterday, so they haven't responded yet. but I still don't see why they wouldn't do it.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Q.S.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would say that 9k for all the machines and tools you will need is a good start up cost. I would plan on at least 10 to 15k depending on what brand and types of machines you plan on buying a good new bridgeport will cost around 7k. and thats again depending on the make. as far as the tooling you can look at another 3 to 4k at least. one thing to keep in mind is you get what you pay for. there are alot of companys out there that claim to have top of the line tools that arent. if you plan on spending this much time and money on this project you sure dont want to be building it cheaply made tools that are not precise. good luck finding a print you will most likely need to find a model of it and scale it to size. you can search the internet but i dont think that you would find any Diagrams on it.. good luck.....stoneyberk. www.quarterscaleberetta.com
Old 08-24-2007, 04:14 PM
speedygonzales

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BRUSHLESS BASHER

^^ what about it, I posted the same thing in the original post.

as for tools, I have all but the mill, so another $500 for a small mill should do. and why souldn't they let me build the car? many companies have had people build things like this, not of this caliber, but still, why wouldn't they, I have already contacted saleen, ford, koenigsegg, and lamborghini. I only did it yesterday, so they haven't responded yet. but I still don't see why they wouldn't do it.
QSL isnt saying they wont let you, hes saying they will not give you the blue prints (i also agree with QSL)

why spend 500$ on a mill. most of those cheaper ones need upgrades right out of the box, your backlash is going to be notice able and get worse after long periods of time. TORMACH makes a great personal cnc machine for 6K, or go for a bigger manual machine.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:19 PM
quarterscalelegends

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BRUSHLESS BASHER

why souldn't they let me build the car? many companies have had people build things like this, not of this caliber, but still, why wouldn't they, I have already contacted saleen, ford, koenigsegg, and lamborghini. I only did it yesterday, so they haven't responded yet. but I still don't see why they wouldn't do it.

They will let you build the car, but they will not supply any prints to make it. The only way to get them is if you know someone that designs them and even at that its very hard to do. You may be able to purchase prints for older cars but they can be VERY expensive. The reason they dont want to give them out is because.... 1) they paid a LOT of money to produce them 2) The cost to copy them and give them to someone is very expensive 3) They dont want to you to see trade secrets

I am also sure they dont want you to make a model of the car. If you were to enter a licensing agreement with them, it may be different, but even at that, it just gives you the right to produce the cars in model form.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:55 PM
BRUSHLESS BASHER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I could pay them for them, so it would be free for them, and if a company was really going to copy something for a car, why wouldn't they just buy or rent the car, and copy what they needed, it would probally be alot easier. and I could go into some sort of agreement, where if I get all the plans for the car, they get the car a couple years after it's done.... maybe.... someone from saleen is supposed to be contacting me, so we might be able to do something, maybe I can make an extra miniature engine for them.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:55 AM
DIABLOTAC78

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

never mind......
Old 08-25-2007, 08:36 AM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bingo ... TRADE SECRETS !!
but good luck too you
Old 08-25-2007, 01:46 PM
fourwheeler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: speedygonzales
TORMACH makes a great personal cnc machine for 6K
Wow Speedy!!! 6K for a mill? I had no idea you were rolling in the green...I am available for adoption at any time.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Apache-

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: quarterscalelegends

I am also sure they dont want you to make a model of the car. If you were to enter a licensing agreement with them, it may be different, but even at that, it just gives you the right to produce the cars in model form.

True, they do not want you to do that.

Before '96 the F1 teams were happy when some firm made a replica of their car as a true scale model. At that time they sended prints on the bodywork etc for free when asked, at least Williams, mcLaren and Jordan did. Provided it was minimum a 1 year old car.
Since the 90's it became such a huge and important industry things ain't for free anymore. You can try to ask but this is not the way it works. THEY pick the firms (not private persons) that are allowed to make a true scale model. The selected companies can after their selection then bid for the CAD files, prices go well over 50.000 and that is just the bodywork...
The same goes i suppose for the normal automotive industry. There I do not know what is the exact policy but I cannot imagine they will give anything away for free. And certainly not to a private person.
My advise would be to ask Frank Killiam, he is an on-road LS driver and at the same time one of the shapers for BMW in the states. No wonder the BMW shells we see on the on-road scene are from his hand. Maybe ask him as he knows both worlds, he is a very helpfull and friendly guy and open for serious projects. At least then you know from first hand what your options are, and what is possible or not.

I do not want to brake down your enthousiasm but that ferrari 3rd scale is a 12 year project with more than 20.000hours of labour.
Nevertheless I am very curious and will follow your project. I hope it will not end with just a few posts on a forum but with a fantastic car.
Keep us posted & Good luck.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:41 PM
BRUSHLESS BASHER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeah, but he spent 3 years of that doing drawings, if I can get them that will cut down on cost hugely. and he had no money, I do, and will be able to buy what I need. I am also contemplating mass producing the engine, if I get a CNC machine it can run while I'm working on other things, either that, or I'll make 2 and sell one to Conely Precision, so he can produce them.I have yet to contact him, but I think he may be interested... and I am fully aware of how long this might take, I want to have the engine and trannsmission done by 5 years.