Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Looking at custom building one

Old 08-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Fewski
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at custom building one

I've been reading about these for a few days now and decided I want to build one, or at least give it a shot.

I'm looking at going with a Stadium Truck type design. Aluminum pan with a metal rollcage. Going to try to keep the weight down and use a weedeater engine.

What thickness should the Aluminum pan be?

Does anyone have pictures with dimensions of their trucks/cars?
Old 08-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Q.S.

Default RE: Looking at custom building one

Hey,,, if i were you i would Build one with a full tube chassis made from steel fuel line it's not that heavy then use sheetmetal for the floor.. not to mention it would look alot more real... just a thought.. stoneyberk. www.quarterscaleberetta.com
Old 08-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Fewski

When I first got to thinking about building one, that was exactly what I was going to do - steel brake line. It's cheap and easy to get.

But then I got to thinking, would it be strong enough? It's hollow inside so that has me a little worried.

If I do go this route, what kind of sheetmetal would you recommend?

Thanks
Old 08-15-2007, 05:34 PM
Q.S.

That fuel line is stronger than you think once you get all the bracing done it is very strong hollow or not. I can set on my Beretta chassis and it dont move/flex at all and i weight around 180LBS. as far as the sheetmetal you need to look around any home improvement store will have alot of different gauges. I used heating/air ducking sheetmetal it's cheap and easy to work with. a good pair of sisors will cut it with no problems. i got my sisors at Harbour freight,,, if theres one around there...stoneyberk www.quarterscaleberetta.com
Old 08-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Fewski

Thanks for the help.

Sorry to keep perstering, but got a few more questions if you don't mind:

What size brake line would recommend for it?

Would a Lincoln 220 welder work for it? Or what do you use?

Thanks

PS: I took a look at your site, awesome job on your builds!
Old 08-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Q.S.

Ask me all the questions you want..no prob.. I used 1/2'' seamless steel brake line for the main section & 3/8''on the bracing. as far as a welder thats up to you I used J B WELD & 4-40 screws and glued in 4-40 bungs/nuts. that stuff is awesome. once it sets up it is real strong. it worked great for me and i have Built 3 cars that way and never had any problems at all. It can be used on almost any thing..I sanded all the fuel line with 80 Grit sand paper before i cut it to size& used a course round file on the inside of the tubes..stoneyberk
Old 08-15-2007, 07:14 PM
vtl1180ny

You can braze it, I wouldn't attempt a mig welder...
Old 08-15-2007, 08:14 PM
bigmodman

well if you want to use your welder i would go with 1/2 inch for the main section and then 3/8 on the cage....but i would go with 16 gauge steel tubing.....the brake line is too thin to weld you can braze it but i wouldnt be as afective as the mig......
hers a drawing i did for one of my future builds.

and i used 1/2 inch steel conduit from homedepot and it works great i think i went over board on it...lol b/c i weigh at 297 and it holds me with no prob at all....

heres a pic of it it stands where it is at right now im not done just yet.! its a 1/4 scale petrol rock crawler.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65850.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	742903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58405.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	742904  
Old 08-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Q.S.

Holy smokes bud 1/2'' steel conduit. where are planning on rock crawlin at The Grand canyon?? that thing would stand up to a long drop. ( just kiddin) is them the pics of what you building now?? Arent you Building a 1/4 scale latemodel to. I seen them pics of it a while ago some where here on rcu. it looked like a latemodel to me. mabye not!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:33 PM
bigmodman

yup i know its a little over kill.heheya im building both...see the rock crawler is my current project and the late model was a learning chassis but ima gunna keep working on it...

Name:	Wu60630.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	743016  
Old 08-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Q.S.

It Looks like your geting better at it. what is that late model RC chassis made out of? boy that rock crawler will be a beast when done whats that going to weight? That thing would be awesome with a 1/3 scale blown V8 in it with a beefed up tranny & some ground hog tires. what is the dementions on that chassis?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:58 AM
bigmodman

the late model is made outa same stuff as the rock crawler!lol hehe they are both real beefy!and the demensions of the late model is bout 18in wide 10 in tall and like 52 inches long...lol i dont think it is really a 1/4 scale but i am callin it one...hehe yeah it would be awesome with a 1/3 scale v8!!!!!!!!only if someone buys it for me then i would take it to shows to pay the person back....hehe but i know that wont happen so it alright......oh and the late model is my first one...hehe which one looks better to you?
Old 08-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Q.S.

Boy that would be a close call they both look good to me!! You need to name them [Some Bad Ass Toys For Some Bad Ass Boys] I think They are both a little over 1/4 scale mabye closer to 1/3 scale. But Hey so is my Beretta I still need to stretch the front 4'' on it so that 1/3 scale Blown engine will fit in it with plenty of room to work around. The Headers are going to be Huge tubes around 3/4'' or so. Plus i need to chop the top a tad.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:21 PM
bigmodman

hehe i like that name....yeah unless someone gives me a motor like that then i wont run one like that even though it would be nice....hey im only 15 so im gettin an early start...but those headers are going to be huge![X(]
Old 08-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Q.S.

OOOh a rookie. hey you got a good start at it. in a year or so find a good job and save save save. and then get one of them 1/3 scale engines. im 44 and just getting around to doing things i thought about doing when i was 15. time flies youl see. save all you can for your future your gonna need it. exspecially now days a good job is hard to come by. them Headers will have a 2'' collector on them to. them will be about16'' long total length.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:48 PM
bigmodman

yeah i have a job,and im saving for my 55' willys jeep,i have to get that runnin first...hehe and then i will save up for a mill/lathe then the motor...but i will use a 50cc mini chopper engine for my crawler.[8D] them collectors are gunna be big....but that motor will breathe pretty easy.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Q.S.

Thats a good start bud. what about putting a big chain saw engine in it. with a scooter tranny with that low gearing for crawling. that Beretta engine will breathe very well. I might even open up the intake & exaust ports a little not sure yet im looking into it. dont want to make a mistake thats for sure. i will have alot of time & money in that little beast when done.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:29 PM
bigmodman

yeah i know i will have the same...grr idk i have a mini chopper motor layin around so was goin to use it... heres a pic of the motor in it.its not mounted.

Name:	Yv66163.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	743337  
Old 08-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Q.S.

It lloks a little small for that huge chassis is it. are you going with a chain drive or a diff??
Old 08-16-2007, 03:23 PM
bigmodman

its diff driven...im goin to make a trans case to make it 4wd...
Old 08-16-2007, 08:19 PM
T I G

Hi fellas,
I find the best material to use is DOM (drawn over mandrel) seamless tubing. Its easy to find, inexpensive and very easy to manipulate (bend and form) plus its very clean (no mill scale or oils) and most of all a joy to weld

Heres a pic of some DOM

Heres a pic of what my truck looks like now

Things are bit hectic around the homestead, I also have another project in the works. Nothing big, just a little molding to do. stoney
Old 08-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Q.S.

Hey bud.. I hear yaa I got a feeling that that project is really going to be nice when all done. it will defentley pay off in the long run. it will be a big money maker for sure. Did you get my E-mails bud?? man tig where did you get that kind of tubing at i never heard of that stuff before.HAHAHA. later on guys..
Old 08-16-2007, 08:44 PM
T I G

wassaby
I just responded to your e-mail
A good place to look for DOM is onlinemetals.com, I got it from aircraftspruce.com but, they robbed me on shipping.

Heres a link http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...=2&top_cat=197

Later gater
Old 08-16-2007, 08:46 PM
bigmodman

wow tig your truck is comin along good!
Old 08-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Q.S.

Gotcha bud. did you try that casting link out yet i gave you?? iv'e know about that kind of tubing for years. [ I was just joking] it easy to work with but i think it bends a little to easy. atleast the stuff i looked at a few years ago did. a little to soft for me..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.