Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Why is the Smartech Titan not very popular?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Why is the Smartech Titan not very popular?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 09:32 PM
NitroBurn1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is the Smartech Titan not very popular?

When I first heard about the Titan I figured it would be a big seller, but it looks like not many people have one. The only place I can find that sells them in the states is jhc-888.com. I also thought that JetPro was going to make a pipe for it, or did they scrap that idea? Anyway, it would be nice if Duratrax would start selling them because I am interested in owning one.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:49 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Why is the Smartech Titan not very popular?

People in the RC hobby have issues with off-brands, since brand loyalty (and blindness) are a big part of the hobby. Anything made by smartech seems to be at a disadvantage as soon as its announced. I'm not saying their stuff is good or bad, but its a factor.

*gets shot*
Old 10-05-2007, 10:02 PM
Skitzyrex

A few guys in this site http://bashworld.com/php/news.php have now got and love them. The biggest problem found so far was the 28cc DZY motor, but by just changing to either the Zenoah or CY they are great machines for the price.

Check out some of the Vids on that site, Crazy Stuff
Old 10-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Bratch96

I've not heard much about the titan. Last I heard they had issues with the drive shafts, I think.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:34 AM
mikeinoz

There taking off quite well in Australia, I think the problem stateside is simply lack of availability. Probably need Duratrax's marketing to get them going.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Dave ESPI

I debated getting one at a point back when I was getting into the a large scale, but lack of parts availability, and the fact that the body is hard plastic steared me away from it as I know it just can't stand up to the way I run my stuff. It may be a great vehicle, but I have no first hand experience with it.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:23 PM
kidd

i got one a couple weeks ago.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Dave ESPI

Kidd, nice to see your truck all dirty from running around !

Clean that Airfilter though !
Old 10-06-2007, 10:53 PM
sheograth

Nothing makes dave happy like seeing someone who actually bashes their RC :P
Old 10-06-2007, 11:05 PM
tmdz28

ORIGINAL: sheograth

and break them, so they can be in the same boat as he is right now J/K buddy
Old 10-06-2007, 11:41 PM
sheograth

The infamous rear end.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:01 AM
tmdz28

somebody needs to invent a new rear end system. [>:]
Old 10-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Dave ESPI

ORIGINAL: tmdz28

ORIGINAL: sheograth

and break them, so they can be in the same boat as he is right now J/K buddy
HAHAHA

awww I can feel da Luv...... [sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Old 10-09-2007, 01:18 AM
Croozer
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: NitroBurn1

When I first heard about the Titan I figured it would be a big seller, but it looks like not many people have one.
If you want one go for it.
You can pick up the Carson version (Gas Devil) from german hobby shops now.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:04 AM
Slammed

here found this info on a new rearend

ORIGINAL: kengentry5000

I have an FG 8485/5 limited slip differential and I don't have any problems. As my signature says, it just hooks up and goes! There is an 8485/1 kit which is just the diff housing and thrust assembly. This may work if you can put your Firehammer bevel gears inside but I have no idea if they would work. The 8485/5 kit includes FG bevel gears (much nicer than Duratrax), shims, etc. Save yourself a lot of extra agrivation and buy the 8505 tool to help hold the gears together during assembly. This tool is about $8 and I imagine it would be a pain in the neck without the tool. During assembly you will want to use heavy bearing grease on the gear faces.

The 8485 uses a thrust assembly to adjust the slip and it has very little adjustment so I just have it locked down pretty tight. If you go with the FG you will need FG diff-side outdrive cups because the FG spline pattern is different on the interior bevel gears and you won't be able to reuse your Duratrax outdrives.

This diff and the outdrives will set you back about $200. You can get it from RC Nut's, FG Performance RC, LargeScale RC, etc.

You will also need to get the FG bulkhead riser block or make your own. This block raises your rear bulkheads by 6mm or so because there is a rib around the diff the deal with the thrust assembly. Your Firehammer will not need any other mods. I originally made the diff riser out of a plastic kitchen cutting board but after a while I went ahead and bought the real FG diff riser for a few bucks.

If you have a bigger budget and want to go with a FG 8603 viscous diff you can get it for about $300. There is another catch here...The 8603 includes ball-drive cups so you have to get a ball drive axle setup for the rear. This will set you back another $75 - $100 probably. The viscous diff is much more adjustable than the thrust-type diff.

I have been real happy with my 8485/5 kit.

Link to the assembly instructions for the 8485/5 kit
http://www.fg-modellsport-gmbh.de/_P...N/A.8485-5.pdf

Link to 8485/5 kit on RC Nut's:
http://www.rcnutshobbies.com/FG_PART...able_1pce.html

Link to FG 6069/1 diff-side drive axle (not sold in pairs so you will need to buy 2):

Link to the assembly instructions for the 8603 viscous diff kit (go to second page for English)
http://www.fg-modellsport-gmbh.de/_P...GEN/A.8603.pdf

Link to 8603 on RC Nut's:
http://www.rcnutshobbies.com/DRIVE_T...6_Version.html

Old 10-19-2007, 12:29 AM
vertigo performance

I think they aren't taking off because the staff at the North American distributor speak very little English. My dealings with them even though I am still attempting to get one has been very disappointing to say the least. You cannot get an answer from them and in my opinion if you can't get answer thus support from the importer distributor why would you buy a product?

I am not giving up because I think they are cool but to be honest if I wasn't a junky I would have found something else and never considered a product as long as it was sold through the same importer.

Australia, now they have more support, enthusiasm than you can shake a stick at not to mention they understand English.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:54 PM
vertigo performance

I have 2 coming next week from another source..
Old 10-20-2007, 07:45 PM
MONAROMAN

ORIGINAL: vertigo performance

Australia, now they have more support, enthusiasm than you can shake a stick at not to mention they understand English.

waddayameanweunderstandenglishmate?

Titans are taking off here, MCD also has a good local distributor so there's heaps of enthusiasm for 4wd large scale right now. I reckon 1 titan per week right now is added to the large scale scene in sydney. They look like they need a little work to bring them up to speed - I reckon the front end is way too soft, guys are chucking a 29 in them for a bit more grunt than the stock engine, swapping the spur and pinion for extra speed and a pipe is being worked on... x cans for now.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:15 AM
mikeinoz

There is a pipe available, just need to get a boxfull sent down here.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:21 AM
MONAROMAN

ORIGINAL: mikeinoz

There is a pipe available, just need to get a boxfull sent down here.

Who's making this boxful of pipes?

Are you getting said box? I know of quite a few titan owners on the edges of their seats...
Old 10-21-2007, 09:07 AM
kidd

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6485731/tm.htm
check this thread i had a jetpro pipe from my fg beetle laying around. the rollcage had to be chopped and rebuilt but it's better than no jetpro at all.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:57 AM
ShockFett

Does anyone know the diffence between Smartech and MCD. I am new to large scale. I plan on getting either an MCD or Smartech. Besides the obvious huge price difference, what does each offer?

Please give opinions or actual experience. I just want some insight from people who have been around. If this should be it's seperate topic LMK.

Thanks for all your help
Old 10-25-2007, 11:41 PM
MONAROMAN

MCD are much more costly, very heavy but are a quality product and all models are based on the same parts, MT, buggy, on road. They were the first 1/5 4wd on the market. Smartech buggies are basically a clone of the FG marder with a few differences, the titan is a new design by smartech and seems like good value for money.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:43 PM
ea77

Had someone tried putting an FG LSD on a Titan?

This quote below looks like it was tried on a Firehammer not a Titan.

ORIGINAL: Slammed

here found this info on a new rearend

ORIGINAL: kengentry5000

I have an FG 8485/5 limited slip differential and I don't have any problems. As my signature says, it just hooks up and goes! There is an 8485/1 kit which is just the diff housing and thrust assembly. This may work if you can put your Firehammer bevel gears inside but I have no idea if they would work. The 8485/5 kit includes FG bevel gears (much nicer than Duratrax), shims, etc. Save yourself a lot of extra agrivation and buy the 8505 tool to help hold the gears together during assembly. This tool is about $8 and I imagine it would be a pain in the neck without the tool. During assembly you will want to use heavy bearing grease on the gear faces.

The 8485 uses a thrust assembly to adjust the slip and it has very little adjustment so I just have it locked down pretty tight. If you go with the FG you will need FG diff-side outdrive cups because the FG spline pattern is different on the interior bevel gears and you won't be able to reuse your Duratrax outdrives.

This diff and the outdrives will set you back about $200. You can get it from RC Nut's, FG Performance RC, LargeScale RC, etc.

You will also need to get the FG bulkhead riser block or make your own. This block raises your rear bulkheads by 6mm or so because there is a rib around the diff the deal with the thrust assembly. Your Firehammer will not need any other mods. I originally made the diff riser out of a plastic kitchen cutting board but after a while I went ahead and bought the real FG diff riser for a few bucks.

If you have a bigger budget and want to go with a FG 8603 viscous diff you can get it for about $300. There is another catch here...The 8603 includes ball-drive cups so you have to get a ball drive axle setup for the rear. This will set you back another $75 - $100 probably. The viscous diff is much more adjustable than the thrust-type diff.

I have been real happy with my 8485/5 kit.

Link to the assembly instructions for the 8485/5 kit
http://www.fg-modellsport-gmbh.de/_P...N/A.8485-5.pdf

Link to 8485/5 kit on RC Nut's:

Link to FG 6069/1 diff-side drive axle (not sold in pairs so you will need to buy 2):

Link to the assembly instructions for the 8603 viscous diff kit (go to second page for English)
http://www.fg-modellsport-gmbh.de/_P...GEN/A.8603.pdf

Link to 8603 on RC Nut's:
http://www.rcnutshobbies.com/DRIVE_T...6_Version.html

Old 10-26-2007, 08:26 PM
kidd

i've got an fg aluminum diff conversion from my beetle. the bearings are 28x15 and the smartech are 12x24. 15x24 bearings would convert it for corect fitment.
i'll look for some

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.