Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

slow take off

Old 11-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Dave ESPI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: slow take off

I've found when all adjustments fail, and there is not any airleaks, it is the Clutch. Check for a clogged exhaust pipe also. I took my Jetpro off a while back and ran carb/choke cleaner in it and got a lot of gunk out. I noticed a slight pick up in speed, but my truck boggs also but the clutch is not completely gone yet s I had originaly replaced the spring and shoes with upgraded ones.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:33 PM
kingpin123

well it cant be the clutch, cuz i replaced it with a brand new clutch and spring and also a new head gasket.

i do not get those sympthoms that the guy is getting with the bad idle ect, my truck idles good . the truck runs fines , just the slow take off.

right now i am lost here on what to do?????
Old 11-07-2007, 12:45 AM
Bratch96

ORIGINAL: kingpin123

well it cant be the clutch, cuz i replaced it with a brand new clutch and spring and also a new head gasket.

i do not get those sympthoms that the guy is getting with the bad idle ect, my truck idles good . the truck runs fines , just the slow take off.

right now i am lost here on what to do?????

Is your top speed perfectly 100% normal? only your initial take off is slow?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:25 AM
kingpin123

it is just the take off that is slow
Old 11-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Bratch96

Kind of sounds like your clutch spring may be worn out and is engaging at too low of an RPM. Maybe your idle is too high. Maybe a little of both.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:19 PM
N3il.h

Maybe if you had a video camera you could record it for everyone to see?
Old 11-07-2007, 02:47 PM
ratpower396

sounds like if you changed everything & its still slow it may be a mixture issue.. these engines arent the most difficult things in the world..Try holding the car up at idle & give it full throttle & see if it is slow revving without a load on it..
Old 11-07-2007, 05:52 PM
kingpin123

as i mention before i already change to a new clutch, same thing.

maybe it time i just change and put in a new engine???????????????????

can it not be some thing wrong with the carb?? i tuned it all kind of how and no difference
Old 11-08-2007, 01:53 AM
splcrazy

do you think that you might have destroyed some gears in the diff .... or maybe the flap that opens and closes in the carb could be sticking when you throttle .
Old 11-08-2007, 06:46 AM
kingpin123

the gears in the diff are good.

the flap in the carb sticking? maybe i dont know will have to check that,
Old 11-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Dave ESPI

Try adding some Dunkin Doughnuts Dark Roast espresso to the fuel oil mixture..... If that doesn't give it a bit more " Get up and go", try yelling at it..... I'll see if I can get my friends mom on tape yelling for her kids to get up in the morning....
Old 11-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Bratch96

ORIGINAL: Dave ESPI

Try adding some Dunkin Doughnuts Dark Roast espresso to the fuel oil mixture..... If that doesn't give it a bit more " Get up and go", try yelling at it..... I'll see if I can get my friends mom on tape yelling for her kids to get up in the morning....

Dave, don't quit your day job............................................... .................................................. .................but, maybe a little Red Bull in the mix........hehe
Old 11-08-2007, 02:30 PM
kingpin123

can we get serious here???? trying to solve a problem no time for jokes
Old 11-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quite, I've deleted the 'humorous' posts. Lets try to get this guy's engine running right, shall we. I wish I could help, but I'm still breaking in my first gas engine (breaking in, as in haven't started it yet [sm=red_smile.gif]). If I was in your position I would be looking into a replacement and sending that one off to be repaired and modded. I don't mind a bit of work for my hobby, but I doubt I would have been as patient as you.

I'm guessing you have absolutely isolated that it is the engine, by simply trying another engine temporarily (sorry if you've answered this earlier, I haven't read this thread lately)?
Old 11-08-2007, 06:20 PM
ratpower396

i dont think anyone has asked yet but how old is the engine?? How many gallons through it??did it run right untill you changed something & if so did you put it back to the origional configuration & make sure that whatever you changed didnt have the effect on the engine???If it ran fine before changing the pipe well then put the old pipe back on & see if its better..
Old 11-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Dave ESPI

We are all trying to help you, but your information is spotty at best. You need to try and pinpoint the area of problem and isolate the things that work as the normaly should and establish a baseline. Reset everything to factory settings, clean the motor, check for crap jammed in the low end of it, and the intake gasket for an airleak, or try to get more air/fuel mixture ratios and play with it. Cleaning the carb fuel jets would help also. You never said what kind of airfilter you are running, or answered how "used" and abused the engine is. I beat the &*&^%%^* out of my engine and it still drives geat, but there is no initial snappy take off either. I set it that way so it would not wear out the motor. You really just need to change adjustments as chances are your motor is gettign older and may be broken in past the point of needing just a good cleaning, and a piston ring may be in your future.

you should try to check over the engine and see of things are worn, or if the settings are off.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:40 AM
Bratch96

I think we've exhausted our collective expertise. Time to buy a new engine, carb, clutch, pipe, gas lines, and a new tank.[]
Old 11-09-2007, 03:39 AM
splcrazy

well i dont know about him ,but i found out my problems . first was the magneto coil had slipped and moved out of position causing the iregular idle but before that , today i installed the hpi tuned pipe and it sounds amazing like a racing dirt bike ,also the 8000rpm clutch spring then i done a few dohnuts and the engine cut out . i opened it up and found one end of the piston ring fused to the piston ring groove. Also bought a new piston today for it as a spare and your gonna laugh at this lol , the day i bought my bigger head kit the dealer said it was a 29.5cc head kit ,so as i went to install my new piston i found out that infact he had sold me a 29cc head kit , and now i have 29.5cc piston and no use for it cos its bigger and wont fit arghhhhhhhhhhh .
Old 11-09-2007, 04:26 AM
jasrx

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

well i dont know about him ,but i found out my problems . first was the magneto coil had slipped and moved out of position causing the iregular idle but before that , today i installed the hpi tuned pipe and it sounds amazing like a racing dirt bike ,also the 8000rpm clutch spring then i done a few dohnuts and the engine cut out . i opened it up and found one end of the piston ring fused to the piston ring groove. Also bought a new piston today for it as a spare and your gonna laugh at this lol , the day i bought my bigger head kit the dealer said it was a 29.5cc head kit ,so as i went to install my new piston i found out that infact he had sold me a 29cc head kit , and now i have 29.5cc piston and no use for it cos its bigger and wont fit arghhhhhhhhhhh .
did u richen the carbie back up ? did the primer bulb still have fuel in it [ from memory it should remain atleast half full]
Old 11-09-2007, 04:43 AM
splcrazy

nah man the ring is fused melted stuck in the piston ring groove its got compression but wont start . i need new piston
Old 11-09-2007, 07:29 AM
kingpin123

think the guy was right time to buy a new engine, i dont reall beat the hell out of it though, so dont see why it should need a new one, but i already changed new clucth, headgasket,and new piston ring with no luck. maybe as dave said play with the setting which i did already, but will try again, then if not maybe clean out the carb and the ddm pipe. and see if that helps out

i do have have on a perfomance air filter, i cleaned that out to. i think it is something maybe with the carb , just my quess??

just a little more info, it started doing this a few months ago, 1 week i run it and it would run fine then the other week taking off slow , it was like this back and forth, now it would take off slow ll the time now.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:22 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

grab a new 813 carb then
Old 02-25-2008, 06:03 PM
klockerzceo

yo kingpin just was reading your post and wondered what progress have you made in solving the problem.
I noticed you from Wadadli and i am in DA do you guys have alot of largescales over there i was up ur side in may last but the hobbyshop guys had no idea when i spoke about FG's.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:35 PM
johntints

My Raco Supermodified 2 did that and it was fixed by adjusting the brake lever on the driveline but that was obvious and easy to find after arun last week. The linkage slipped and was engaging the brake while under full takeoff power and it was fixed by readjusting the linkage. But probably NOT your problem, Good luck!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:30 PM
NdFrSpeed
My Feedback: (1)

Have you ran the same pipe all along or did y ou just change to the pipe your useing,,some pipes are mid to top end pipes ,,some are low to mid range,,,,makes a big difference,,

NdFrSpeed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.