Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

what can you say about this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:57 AM
DIABLOTAC78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what can you say about this?

what is the cause of this brakegage? is it from impact ? or the upper arm is to close on the front brace?
Old 11-07-2007, 08:15 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: what can you say about this?

Looks like a classic front impact to me, check the chassis isn't banana'ed as well.

What car is that anyway? You went and got a big boy while I wasn't looking?? And crashed it already! lol
Old 11-07-2007, 08:23 AM
DIABLOTAC78

its a baja 5b and its not mine but im going to have one soon , okay the guy said he jumped the car not too high and he said maybe its the speed,

if you look carefully on the picture you can see the upper arm is too close on the brace and the upper arm have scrathces . so i think its the upper arm , if it was not that close to the brace maybe this problem didnt happened.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:32 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that you point out the scratches, yeh, I agree you have a point. Looks like a poorly fitting piece of carbon fibre, HOWEVER, if it was rubbing so much as to eventually cause a breakage, how did the owner not realise that it was binding BADLY, as it must have been.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:38 AM
DIABLOTAC78

im telling them that problem and they told me its from the crash im like okay[X(][:@]. if the guy super glued and grind the edge a little bit this wouldnt happened. so i think the alu is better in the front brace.

edit : i think in every baja the upper arm is close on the front brace.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Osirisf16

Are you talking about the cut chassis [:-]??? Man, what a fall. How many metres did jump? 10??????or maybe 30
Old 11-07-2007, 12:13 PM
DIABLOTAC78

its not a chassis it is the front brace of the baja 5b. 10 meters the whole front will be crushed
Old 11-07-2007, 01:31 PM
brice_arnold
My Feedback: (6)

Where did you get this picture? It was originally posted in a thread on another forum explaining exactly what happened!

This brace was damaged in a head on crash with a pole. Obviously things are going to break when your moving at a good clip and start ramming into things. The brace was manufactured by Out Front Frames. It is identical to the stock aluminum part so there shouldn't be issues with rubbing arms. Incidentally OFF has as pretty good replacement program where if you break one of their parts during normal wear and tear they will replace it. Because this was a head on collision, I don't think it would have been covered.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:41 PM
DIABLOTAC78

yes i took it from another forum i just cant believe this happened. in fact the guy is not sure what really he did to brake the brace. so i have this conclusion that its the upper arm that cause the brakegage. its like a glass if you make a scratch on the suface it will brake. i the pic the crack is exactly where the upperarm is.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:21 PM
brice_arnold

This is not how carbon fiber works. Carbon Fiber parts are laminar buildups and are not brittle like glass. If you scratch the surface it will not fracture at that scratch. It is actually a relatively flexible material. In tension it is about 15x stronger than aluminum. However under compression it is as strong as the resin that holds the layers together. In a crash or head on collision this upper brace is under compression which is it's weakest mode. So it's not surprising to see that it shattered. I have seen a couple of these that have shattered under the same conditions.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:50 PM
DIABLOTAC78

[link=http://www.atomicmods.com/Categories/Tutorial-Sealing-a-Carbon-Fiber-Chassis.aspx]read this[/link]

the question is do they seal the edge of the cf parts ?
Old 11-07-2007, 04:45 PM
brice_arnold

Yes I know about delamination. And if you have a good lay-up it is not really an issue.

If you look in your photo again at the shock tower, I made that. There are about ten of them floating around the world and I have never heard anything about them delaminating. I never sealed the edges

To answer your question, no, OFF does not seal their edges. I don't know of a single CF parts manufacture that does. I imagine it would be time consuming and simply raise the cost of the parts. As you can see from the link you posted it is a simple process that anyone can do.

I don't think that delamination was the culprit here. It looks to me the the part broke along the narrowest and weakest section.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:34 PM
DIABLOTAC78

sorry if i annoy you already , the shock tower is far from moving parts that may cause to chip the cf so its less possible to delaminate .
Old 11-07-2007, 06:15 PM
brice_arnold

Your not annoying me we're just have a conversation.

I have two bajas that use this same exact part in question. I will check them out to see if there is any scratching or delamination.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:22 PM
DIABLOTAC78

okay thanks man cause im also planning to buy one too. i like cf i want to be sure if its worth it and if not ill stay with alu.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:20 PM
vertigo performance

Hey guys, that was a really hard hit to break that, there have been a few who have broken front braces by various manufactures and all have admittedly hit something extreme, some have bent their chassis up almost 90 degrees. The A arms don't hit the brace but once contacting a poll anything in front of that brace is going to contact it. No mfg seals the edges, the time alone would make the cost prohibitive. Also sealing of the edges prevents chipping and cutting of things like fuel lines, wires and fingers. The glue doesn't penetrate the carbon or the epoxy.
Let it be noted, all breakage of front braces posted on the net have been extreme and there is no way that when this happened it wasn't apparent as to why it happen.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:22 PM
jimjeep

Definately looks like impact damage. Notice how far away from the arms the damage goes only to one side. If it was being "peeled" up by contact with the arms it would be more evenly spread from the point of contact and probably not have travelled as far. Remember carbon fiber is very stiff and lightweight offering better performance, however the tradeoff is that it cannot take as much of an impact as an aluminum piece can. Love the carbon fiber, it's a wonderful thing just don't crash the heck out of your model and you'll be fine. And by the way, I also work for Porsche and they don't seal the edges of their carbon fiber parts either and I haven't heard of a single problem ever.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Dave ESPI

Broken parts?

Looks like you are having fun to me
Old 11-11-2007, 11:16 PM
jimjeep

Very true! If you aren't breaking any parts then you aren't having enough fun!
Old 11-12-2007, 10:52 AM
DIABLOTAC78

i think carbon fiber parts for sports car are different, they bake it. the question is if the carbon fiber for rc is baked too?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:47 PM
brice_arnold

ORIGINAL: DIABLOTAC78

i think carbon fiber parts for sports car are different, they bake it. the question is if the carbon fiber for rc is baked too?
It depends on what kind of resin you are using some resin sets up over a period of time (i.e. 5 min epoxy) some resin requires heat to set. and some resin requires UV light to set.