Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Lauterbacher mega-cross 2wd and 4wd

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Lauterbacher mega-cross 2wd and 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:45 AM
hathi
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lauterbacher mega-cross 2wd and 4wd

Anyone with more info on these buggies please post up! I'm very intrested in the 4wd!
Anyone in north america brining these in?
Old 12-04-2007, 04:27 AM
K-Spindle

Default RE: Lauterbacher mega-cross 2wd and 4wd

Years ago I imported Laterbacher and then gave it over to AP Technologies problem is the expense and no margin they make it so you can't make enough off the units or the parts to keep importing them.

The cars are first rate. They will be fantastic units good luck finding an importer who can do it long term.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:00 AM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: hathi

Anyone with more info on these buggies please post up! I'm very intrested in the 4wd!
Anyone in north america brining these in?
Yes its a deadly machine i just bought my Supercross but all the tracks here in Ontario are now closed for the season but from what i've experienced so far just running the buggies i cant wait for better weather to come around .
you can contact John's photo and hobby's in TO they will bring it in for you but wont be cheap !
they stock the lauterbacher commin parts but items like the machines are a 2 week order because not everyone purchaces them do too there prices $$
also Hellya at fg hopup's is a lauterbacher dealer aswell
Old 12-04-2007, 07:27 AM
Big Boys Toys and Hobbies

Hope this doesnt get deleted but here is the new 4wd MegaCross

http://www.bigboystoysandhobbies.com/inc/sdetail/12829

Chris
Old 12-04-2007, 01:01 PM
hathi
Banned

ORIGINAL: Big Boys Toys and Hobbies

Hope this doesnt get deleted but here is the new 4wd MegaCross

http://www.bigboystoysandhobbies.com/inc/sdetail/12829

Chris
Thanks for this info, what is included with the buggy? Motor? Pipe?
Old 12-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Apache-

Saw both in the flesh. 2WD went around in race conditions driven by a good experienced pilot and the 4WD was ther only displayed for show.

The new LB 2WD with the standing motor is a huge improvement over the former version when it comes to balance in the car and the way it handels. This is directly visible. Competative out of the box for sure!
Reliability is a different thing though.
The car did not finish any of the qualifying rounds and also not the finals. To say these were real harse conditions no, there were even no jumps. So work there for the boys from Germany I gues.

The 4WD for the money and being all alloy it is a nice kit, but....
It is belt drive and it is not really 4WD as there is no center diff en there is no front diff either.
Just a belt from the rear diff going to the front with 2 one direction bearings. So again a cheap solution on an excisting 2WD car.
So when you loose traction the front will help to some extent to pull the car forward. But when cornering the outer wheel rotates faster by just freeely rolling and then there is no froward drive from that wheel. The front inner wheel will help as it makes a smaller radius and does not have to rotate so fast so there the bearing will lock and this wheel will start to pull the car forward. But is this where you wish traction? IMO not as you always have less traction on the inside wheel so what is the point of forward motion there. The wheel is likely to spin fast due to lack of grip. It should be on the out side, or preferably at both wheels. This can only be correctly achieved with a center and front diff, not with one direction bearings.
However the kit is eye candy, so for thos that search for bling bling and are okay with not a full 4WD characteristics deffinately a nice piece of machine.
In the end you get what you pay for.

Belt drive systems in RC LS are well known for trouble with dirt.
If it did not function in the good old F1 from FG properly (used on tarmac!), how will this keep doing the job in sand and mud...
Okay it has no teeth so that is deffinately a better choice and less sensible to dirt. Also the 4 grooves in the belt will help as well but it is belt drive.
Shaft is the way to go for 4WD, for sure in dirt conditions unless it can be fully covered and protected so it stays clean. This is an open system and thus a no-no for me.

IMO 2WD next generation could become a nice one when they fix reliabilty, 4WD is a so so solution where you can probably get better and more true 4WD cars.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Big Boys Toys and Hobbies

Hathi, Yes you get a 26cc motor, tuned exhaust and clear body. The wheels come in white or yellow. You also have the choice to get front disk brakes installed, hydros and more.

Its a special order item, we order to your specs

Chris
Old 12-04-2007, 09:02 PM
K-Spindle

Looks like an update of the Lauterbacher 4wd Mini cooper they made in 1999
Old 12-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Isle of Wight Basher

I've had various LS 2wds, but coming from nitro had always wanted 4wd.

Then along came the 4WD conversion kits from Kamitro to bolt on your marder, basicaly a different rear diff, a different front end, with a long drive belt routed in a ridiculous manner through the centre of a car that was NEVER intended to be 4WD..... and Hey Presto.... Lauterbacher do the same thing to a Super Cross, call it a Mega Cross and charge near on 2K for the priveledge Lauterbachers are REALLY nice cars, great to look at, maybe a little over engineered, but i think that appeals to a lot of us who appreciate the engineering side of our hobby.

The MCD, in my opinion, is the ONLY 4WD car out there at the moment that's anywhere near what a decent 4WD Largescale car will end up looking like (hence why I got one) MCD are the ONLY manufacturer to think "outside the box" and design a car for 4wd, however the drive train to all 4 wheels on the MCD is pretty good, but the car is VERY weak on all 4 corners(hubs, wishbones etc). Even little spills can put you out of a heat/final.

Until someone come up with a dedicated 4wd design, all alloy competition class car, i'll stick with my MCD (and try not to crash)
Old 12-04-2007, 10:39 PM
K-Spindle

Sage words there.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:41 AM
hathi
Banned

Maybe I'll just wait to see what the new titan is going to be like, any more info on this Karlton?
Old 12-05-2007, 03:09 AM
Apache-

Hi Isle of Wight basher. You cannot compare fully the LB with the kamatiro set. Had that and this LB is done far more proper for sure.
However the idea remains the same and as you say the mcd has been the only car thusfar that was true 4WD.
I am very curious though after the carson dirt devil and how it will hold up. Deffinately engineered decent. Lets hope it can withstand some more abuse.
From what I heard FG is back to the drawing boards and are not to release any 4WD in the near future. Rumours rumours..
Old 12-05-2007, 05:27 AM
Isle of Wight Basher

Hi Apache, I agree that comparing the kamitro to the megacross is a bit unfair, The LB is a lovely looking car, very compact, with oodles of alloy, but it still looks a 2wd converted to 4wd, and the lack of a front diff is puzzling.

I'm also thinking of trying the carson/smartech truck, a nice simple design, with 3 diffs, and alloy arms available, with a change of gearing and decent wheels/tyres, it could be a good racer.

I'd love for FG to make a "proper" 4wd, but after years of rumours, I'm not holding my breath.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:55 AM
K-Spindle

New car is NOT a TITAN well its 80% Titan and the other 20% upgrade so it will work more then a tank full of gas and the dog bones not be thrown out like so much trash.
Better bits:
Universals not dog bones
Better Shock towers <-- This is a big help
Better A Arms <-- Titan A arms are like rubber this is so much better then the Titan
Better steering knuckles
Zenoah motor
Better servo saver stiffer servo arms (alloy)
Shocks that work LOL
More adjust points in the suspension

HINT there will be at least one if not up to 4 of the NEW version at the Toys For Tots race. That is who asked for a 4wd class.