Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

BAJA 5B SS build tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 04:50 PM
DIABLOTAC78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAJA 5B SS build tips

Okay i ordered mine today and i dont know when will i have it?...... so post any advice in building . thanks
Old 12-06-2007, 09:06 PM
FastEddy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: BAJA 5B SS build tips

Here are a few Pre-assembly tips.

Before you start to build it it would be handy to have a good set of Allen wrenches, RX,TX,Battery,Servo, and a 6 pack ready to go. if your going to be installing any aftermarket parts or hop ups, have them ready as well.

Look at all the parts before you install them. I had several (2) bad parts so far.
(HPI got me taken care of right away on them)

Hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Dave ESPI

Have a clean work space

* I pick up my baja next Tuesday- YAY !
Old 12-07-2007, 12:29 PM
mmduc

my baja ss aririved this past wed. awesome kit! im taking my time in building it, but so far everything has gone together perfect!
Old 12-07-2007, 02:26 PM
fguniverse

Hey Dave,

Is that a Yankees suck sticker on your tool box?
I didnt think there were many of us around in NY,I for one HATE the Yankees.
Just thought I'd ask!

Also did you ever get your parts for your FG?
If not let me know,my shipment will be here tomorrow.
Take care

Pete
Old 12-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Dave ESPI

Pete, I do indeed DESPISE the NY-Spankies. [:-] but I won't get into it here [:@]
I have stickers that are similar on my chef toolbox, Race snowboard, and
the inside of my locker at my ex-employers place of work (the entire kitchen was Yankie fanatics.)

Funny you should ask about the truck... I'm tearing it apart tonight. I know I need layshaft gear and an axle grubscrew block for sure aswell as some of the small plastic " -C " clip spacers for the suspention alignment.
Need some Klots oil as well. Figure I'm a Chef.... gotta have a "French-fry" smell to my buggies now

Diablo, On another forum, Lunar Wolf posted :
Just a quick note for anyone who's not run a full alloy diffcase before. The manual for the SS states to apply threadlock between the inner race of the two large bearings and the diffcase, this isn't 'optional' as some people on other forum's seem to be advising but is an absolute must. And i'd also advise some between the outer race of the smaller diff bearings and the diffcase while your at it.

I find the HPI blue threadlock is best as it dosn't seem to be the brittle type of kung foo grip stuff loctite use but more like a rubber solution glue that is easy to remove when you need to. Don't go crazy, just use enough to get the job done, a thin evenly applied layer is all you need.

If you don't threadlock the bearings they will rotate against the diffcase and wear against it making the fit loose and causing issues with your transmissions gear mesh, this can destroy your diffcase in a single session if one of the bearings gets a little grit in it but will happen slowly anyway. People who have owned full alloy diffcases for other RC's have found this out the hard way and lost a few gear teeth and had to junk their diffcases.

This is fairly important in the build.