Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Air filter for FG

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:11 AM
tom111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air filter for FG

Hi,

I would like to know if this air filter will improve my Zenoah 26cc performance:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Air-filter-kit-C...QQcmdZViewItem

How do they work, do I have to wash them after every use, like the standard filters? Do I need to oil them like the standard filter?

Thanks,
Tomer

Old 12-09-2007, 10:20 AM
vtl1180ny

Default RE: Air filter for FG

Are you planning to run it on On Road or Off Road??? With the Off Roads you are better off with a foam filter or a gauze like that with a foam prefilter on it...

You need to use K&N filter oil on those...
Old 12-09-2007, 10:31 AM
mike_humphreys

Hi Tomer, IMO the best filter to use is a K&N but not the cone shaped type, you can get them from your FG dealers along with the pre filters. The main filter is oiled once and the pre filter which is twice the size you need, is cut it in half then you put however many you have in a plastic bag with a good quality air filter oil and squish the life out of them untill all the filter is covered in oil. Take them out as you need them, squish out the surplus oil with a rag and fit them. The RN tuning orange filter bag is very good as added protection. I'd never wash out a pre-filter as they are so cheap you can just throw them away when they're dirty and the protection most good filters will give you is vital to keeping your engine in the best condition.

Hope this helps

Mike
Old 12-09-2007, 11:04 AM
tom111

Hi vtl1180ny & Mike,

First of all thank you for the help, as for your questions, I would say I am using it 50% on road and 50% off road in a dusty areas.
I couldn't find the K&N filter that fits my Zenoah engine, I mainly found K&N filters that fits small nitro engine but not for these giants.
Can you direct me to a one? If I understood correctly if I want to use it off road it is better to use the foam ones...???

Thanks again,
Tomer
Old 12-09-2007, 11:30 AM
vtl1180ny

Enjoy...

http://www.davesmotors.com/store/rcfilters.html
Old 12-09-2007, 02:11 PM
PBJT

If you are using your machine off road the k&N or screen style will do very little to protect you. You need foam for the fine damaging dirt. I would recommend stock filter and a outerwear prefilter.

PBJT
Old 12-09-2007, 02:31 PM
vtl1180ny

I'd put a gauze filter with a foam pre filter...
Old 12-09-2007, 02:46 PM
tom111

So if I understand correctly all the carbon filters are not suitable for off road? Only for on road, right? For the off road I better use the foam ones?
Old 12-09-2007, 03:04 PM
vtl1180ny

ORIGINAL: tom111

So if I understand correctly all the carbon filters are not suitable for off road? Only for on road, right? For the off road I better use the foam ones?

I stopped using a straight gauze filter like the K&N's because I did notice fine dirt getting through and this was in on road...
Old 12-09-2007, 03:34 PM
tom111

O.K, thanks, so I think I have a decision here - I will go for the foam ones...

Thanks again,
Tomer
Old 12-09-2007, 03:51 PM
mike_humphreys

In these photos you can just see the K&N filter used with an FG foam pre filter and in all the years of competition I've never damaged an engine although now I do use an RN tuning orange bag as an extra safeguard.

Mike

The best way I've found to use the K&N is to get the alloy attachment from HARM rather than the plastic one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73143.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	822144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54098.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	822145  
Old 12-09-2007, 10:42 PM
jimjeep

TOM111, the filter isn't carbon. They are referring to the carbon-fiber "look" pattern on the filters cap. I have worked in the automotive field for many years and cotton-gauze filter media offers minimal protection in terms of fine (engine damaging) dirt particles. They do not offer great gains in performance as many people believe them to by the simple fact that they offer less resistance to airflow (by filtering less). The foam filter will trap more dirt and offer more flow than the throttle body and ports of the engine can take in (that's why it's so much bigger than the throttle body) and this is why gauze filters are ineffective. I use the original foam and an outer dry foam with a nylon outer filter over it to keep it running cleaner between maintenance. My engine was used before I got it and I have run several gallons of fuel through it and it still runs fantastic pulling wheelies with the box-stock exhaust! If the gauze filters offered good protection and could actually help create better power or mileage then the original manufacturers would use them from the factory. There is a reason they don't! Their use will commonly void engine warranties! Use a clean oiled inner filter foam, an outer filter foam, and if you want to keep bigger dusty debris out slide one of those nifty outerwears covers over and your carb and engine will thank you with good power and a long life.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:39 AM
tom111

Thank you for the detailed explanation, this is just makes stronger what I already decided – to go with the foam ones ďŠ I just don’t agree on one things, you said that if the gauze filter were better (protection, performance & air flow) the manufacturer would use them – but we know that that’s not the case, they don’t use the best exhausts, the car hardly brakes and you need to add brakes kits the rear brake that the car comes with is absolutely ridiculous, they use mostly plastic and not alloy parts, so in general the just don’t use the best stuff, they leave it to you for the upgrades, therefore I believe that the air filter can be upgraded as well, but if you all say to stay with the foam one, so I just don’t see what is wrong with the original one? Do I need to upgrade to a different foam? Will it be better?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 12-11-2007, 12:41 PM
ryan@ddm

ORIGINAL: jimjeep

Their use will commonly void engine warranties!
This is incorrect, as such an action is illegal under the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:11 PM
jimjeep

ryan@ddm
Try to argue your point to a warranty administrator or auditor in the automotive field and you will lose. These filters are known to let fine dirt into the engine and if they are oiled too much they will foul mass airflow sensors also. The seller will tell you that they do not void the manufacturers warranty and what they say is true to a limited point. What they leave in the fine print is the fact that a gauze filter will not void the warranty on the airbox... not the engine! They don't tell you to what micron level they will consistently filter down to and their effectiveness degrades rather quickly with use. I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade here but automotive manufacturers have to meet what is called the Corporate Average Fuel Economy standard which means that a company like GM has to sell a whole lot of little gas saving Aveo's to be able to sell the gas guzzling Cadillacs and still meet this requirement. If changing filter media could give cleaner emissions, increase power, and better mileage while retaining the same level of protection for the miniscule price difference (which would actually make them more money in the end) they most certainly would. There was an independant study done on this subject and a simple change to a gauze media resulted in no signifigant gains. I work for a very high end auto company where money spent is never an issue and performance and reliability is paramount and they will not use a gauze filter either. These are hard facts from one with over 20 years in the field. For a remote possibility on a small power gain it is not worth cutting the life of your engine short, unless you find it more convienient use and to clean and you don't mind having to rebuild your engine sooner than expected. Keep it runnin' strong!
Old 12-16-2007, 10:43 PM
ryan@ddm

Try to argue your point to a warranty administrator or auditor in the automotive field and you will lose. These filters are known to let fine dirt into the engine and if they are oiled too much they will foul mass airflow sensors also. The seller will tell you that they do not void the manufacturers warranty and what they say is true to a limited point. What they leave in the fine print is the fact that a gauze filter will not void the warranty on the airbox... not the engine!
As the "20 year" engine expert, feel free to speak to that. On the other hand, as an attorney whose firm has seen plenty of successful claims on this issue, perhaps you should speak about what you know well, and allow those with other expertise to speak to what they know well. Aftermarket airfilters that meet auto manufacturer specifications DO NOT VOID ANY WARRANTIES WHATSOEVER, unless the auto manufacturer provides free replacement filters for the customer for life.

As to the "if auto companies would make more money selling oiled gauze filters, they would do it" argument... razors and blades, razors and blades.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:58 PM
jimjeep

Aftermarket airfilters that meet auto manufacturer specifications DO NOT VOID ANY WARRANTIES WHATSOEVER, unless the auto manufacturer provides free replacement filters for the customer for life. Aftermarket cotton-gauze air filters DO NOT MEET auto manufacturer's specifications PERIOD! This is an undisputed FACT. Read up! And what's this rubbish about free replacement filters? REELAAX MAN. We're all here to help each other not quibble about silly things like a federal warranty act that AFFIRMS the fact of what I said earlier to be true (again read up). We can all learn from each other in a healthy exchange of knowledge here. I want more people to enjoy this hobby for a long time, get more people involved, and to help it grow. I have no need for negative people interested in their own agendas who are not here to help others and who must argue un-supported notions. We should all try to work together like a team. T.E.A.M. = Together Everyone Achieves More. That's what the forums are all about. Thank you and good day.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:15 AM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

K&N Air Filter Systems DO VOID your warranty it's clearly spelled out in all vehicle warranty manuals. My F250 blew up cause the K&N allowed dirt into the engine, Ford didn't warranty this even though they installed the K&N system at their shop and did all the maintenance on the truck they are also well prepared for anyone thinking they will warranty the aftermarket filters. K&N is supposed to warranty your engine if their filter cause the failure, but they also are well prepared to back out of it.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:35 AM
ryan@ddm

Aftermarket cotton-gauze air filters DO NOT MEET auto manufacturer's specifications PERIOD! This is an undisputed FACT. Read up! And what's this rubbish about free replacement filters? REELAAX MAN.
Jim, it appears the one getting uptight here is you. The "rubbish" about free filters (or any other consumer item) comes from 15 United States Code, section 2302(c) and associated case law. To borrow your phrase, perhaps you should... "read up".

"No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; ..."

What does this mean? It means that if the manufacturer is going to require you to use brand X filters, then the manufacturer must provide those filters to you. Otherwise, the manufacturer is in violation of the act.

The federal rules implementing this law are found, among other places, in 16 CFR 700.10:
"(c) No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, "This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized 'ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine 'ABC' parts," and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102(c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of "unauthorized" articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such "unauthorized" articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused.”

Old 12-17-2007, 03:04 AM
hathi
Banned

We are talking about rc's here! Can we get back on topic?
Old 12-17-2007, 03:35 AM
jasrx

all i know is the standard FG foam air filter and outerwears prefilter is what i use and all that ill use .......
Old 12-17-2007, 12:10 PM
ryan@ddm

ORIGINAL: jasrx

all i know is the standard FG foam air filter and outerwears prefilter is what i use and all that ill use .......
Yep, a good foam filter with prefilter is an excellent choice anytime.