Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

baja 5b or ss?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:06 PM
3D 4 ME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default baja 5b or ss?

What's better a baja 5b RTR or baja 5b ss?
Old 12-12-2007, 10:36 PM
nothinbetr2do

Default RE: baja 5b or ss?

i don't have one, but from what i've read. it's the baja 5b ss
Old 12-13-2007, 08:45 AM
kay9179

they are both good, the rtr is ready right out of the box, but the ss will teach you everything you will ever need to know about repairs , and trust me those are skill you will need to know.. i have two baja s , one stock and one with a 26cc zenoah race motor. the 26cc has a lot more power but when we race the two on dirt tracks the stock is alot more controllable and wins most races by not spinning out and being consistant. think about it , you have to stay on the track to win.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:01 AM
rodgers16

depend on what you are planing on doing with the beast

u need to be experienced in rc
Old 12-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Robin Hood

hi everyone..regarding to 3D 4 ME..u can see the features for Baja 5B SS Kit..I take it from tower hobbies site

Chassis: Narrow channel monocoque design 0.16" (4mm) thick, gun-metal
gray in color, constructed of aircraft grade 6061 T6 aluminum,
side guards protect engine from dirt and debris
Drive: Rear wheel gear drive with heavy duty dogbones
Engine: 2 cycle 1.6 cu in (26cc) gasoline with pull starter,
quick release foam air filter, primer, choke and kill switch
Servo: Water proof, metal gear high torque 25kg-cm steering servo
speed, 0.16 sec at 60°
Ball Bearings: Full set included
Shocks: Four VVC heavy duty aluminum shocks with 5 externally
adjustable dampening settings and dual rate springs for
progressive dampening action on all surfaces, modified rear shock
tower brace
Main Gear: 57 tooth composite construction
Gearbox: Sealed, heavy duty metal gears
Differential: Viscous Torque Control can be tuned using different
weight diff oils, hardened metal planetary gears, aluminum alloy
diff case
Brakes: Ventilated dual disc
Clutch: 2-shoe, 8000 RPM
Gas Tank: 25.3 oz (750cc)
Front Tires: HPI Dirt Buster Rib Pattern M compound 2.4" (60mm) wide
6.7" (170mm) outer diameter
Rear Tires: HPI Dirt Buster Block Pattern S compound 3.1" (80mm)
wide, 6.7" (170mm) outer diameter
Wheels: Black 5-spoke, nylon 3-piece bead lock, bead is bolted to
wheel to hold tire securely in place-no need for tire glue
Body: Clear pre-cut
Rear Wing: Molded black plastic with decals applied
Roll Cage: Baja style high impact nylon protects engine and body
from crash damage
Suspension: Fully adjustable, long travel double wishbone
Caster: Adjustable, with shims 22 / 25.5* stock / 29 degrees
caster/toe-in refers to the angle of the front
suspension when viewed from the side of the car in relation to the
chassis
Camber: Adjustable, camber refers to the angle of the tops of the
tires from vertical when viewed from front or behind vehicle
I m sory for a long text
Good luck 3D 4 ME and for all guys
Old 12-23-2007, 01:50 PM
brisbane010203

Go the SS version because you will want to go faster and upgrade, and HPI have thrown all the goodies in with this one.

P.S get the sand paddles and head for the sand dunes you wont regret it.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:05 AM
carbajal

hey what about the baja with the 30cc, i think that's it? is it worth 1,400 bucks?i think it comes with the upgraded pipe too.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Robin Hood

ESP Fully Ported 30.5cc..this engine is the "king of kings",it can give u 6+ horsepower with a tuned pipe
Old 12-27-2007, 11:29 PM
revmgt8
My Feedback: (1)

ok, I am also very interested in getting into the baja 5b scene. But I am stuck on whether or not to go with the SS or the RTR. I realize the the SS comes with all the upgrades, and I also like the burnt orange a lot better!! but With the RTR coming with everything including battery, radio, servos, etc...and not to mention that you don't have to put 15+ hrs into building. Considering all that, do you really think the SS is worth it?? I really don't know and I am stuck. How much faster is the SS compared to the RTR??
Old 12-28-2007, 07:02 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's almost nothing on the SS that won't eventually be upgraded again. IMO, the engine still isn't big enough, the servo still isn't strong enough, the 8000rpm clutch is something I wouldn't want anyway. My advice would be to get the RTR, especially if you are panning on upgrading further. The RTR with upgrades swaybars and shocks, is cheaper than the SS and a radio.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:32 AM
TheTruckingGuru

Actually with the RTR you will want to upgrade almost everything right away for better looks, performance, and durability. First will be the Radio electronics, Receiver pack, and Pipe. Maybe with the SS and Spektrum 3XR you will be satisfied enough that you will not want to upgrade much else. I have the SS kit and I cannot justify buying a side mounted Dominator pipe or 30.5 cc jetted engine. Sure it would look cooler and drive better but for the money it would only be marginal gains. I only needed to buy the Spektrum Radio system and a receiver pack both are much better then the RTR. Painting the body was easy and looks cool with my Jihad action figure mounted as driver. The only downside is that your time is money and the 15 hour build is a major pain. Film it over a long weekend and send it along with your resume to NASA.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:10 AM
wan6176

its better get thr rtr.juz got mine.change the hpi tune pipe sound excellent good high top end tested in open field.if u need more solid sound,slid in the rear exhaust wif copper pipe same diameter as the tune pipe exhaust..wam bang there u goes..u can hear a bee sound out of the pipe.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: TheTruckingGuru

Actually with the RTR you will want to upgrade almost everything right away for better looks, performance, and durability. First will be the Radio electronics, Receiver pack, and Pipe. Maybe with the SS and Spektrum 3XR you will be satisfied enough that you will not want to upgrade much else. I have the SS kit and I cannot justify buying a side mounted Dominator pipe or 30.5 cc jetted engine. Sure it would look cooler and drive better but for the money it would only be marginal gains. I only needed to buy the Spektrum Radio system and a receiver pack both are much better then the RTR. Painting the body was easy and looks cool with my Jihad action figure mounted as driver. The only downside is that your time is money and the 15 hour build is a major pain. Film it over a long weekend and send it along with your resume to NASA.
Huh? The only things you need to upgrade on the RTR for durability, are the shock shafts.

I disagree... The SS comes with the following items, I'll list them and why they are not worth having...

Better shocks (Just put upgraded shock shafts on the RTR and they're fine)
Same servo as RTR, just with metal gears (still won't last forever, still gonna want a faster, stronger one at some point)
Sway bars (Make OFF road handling worse, especially rear one.)
8000rpm clutch (very late engagement, not desirable in my opinion)
26cc CY engine (yeh, it's a 26, but it's still a CY, people are still gonna wind up putting a Zen or something else in there eventually)
Clear body (now that's a real plus)
HPI Pipe (Still gonna want something else, it's ok, but it's loud and doesn't make as much power as many other pipes)
Metal diff case and drivetrain (this is the other worthwhile thing)
Heavy duty dogbones (have been found not to be heavy duty enough, still)

If I've missed anything, let me know, but I'm afraid for the price of two items, I'll have the RTR with a 3ch digital FM radio and a throttle servo installed and ready to run for THE SAME PRICE, then upgrade the other stuff later.

Wan, the SS is the one that comes with the HPI tuned pipe, not the RTR. In any case, it looks like a pigtail if you ask me.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:41 PM
adan847

my opinion rtr when star broken parts is time to upgrade in my 5b always the stering servo broken but always by extra parts for repair simple
Old 01-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Profiled

I agree with Foxy for the most part. From what I have seen the steering servo does need the metal gears. Just upgrade them when they strip. There was 12 of us in the pit with Bajha's 6 RTR and the rest ss.3 of the rtr striped the servo. One of them just came from the LHS,the others had run for about a month.Just remember you cant go wrong either way The LHS found that the 3 cc difference on the SS dosen't make a noticeable difference. We found that the dominator pipe and 16 tooth pinion give both more than enough power[sm=punching.gif] I hope this helps you out. Don.t forget if it doesn't break your not bashing hard enough !!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 04:22 AM
hathi
Banned

I will say you cant go wrong either way! The only other thing I would look at would be something to stop the rubing of the rear wheels on the rear arms. Axle extenders is one of the many options (I say this first because it is the cheapest) Does not matter what you buy, things will break (if they dont, you are not running it)

And as foxy said the only thing you really need on the RTR is better shocks! And of course take the advise, if your going to upgrade your motor get a Zenoah!(took me long enough to figure that one out... 4 motors later)
Old 02-07-2008, 02:00 PM
nothinbetr2do

i have an ss now, and all i can say is WOW. 1/5 scale gassers are the way to go.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:37 AM
mmduc

well, i have an ss, and i disagree with foxy. the ss has some nice upgrades. shocks, pipe, clutch, bigger engine. all you need is a throttle servo, and a fm or 2.4 radio. i run mine with a jr zs3. i paid $830 for my ss new in the box. i had the radio from my lst 2. so i bought a reciever, hump pack, throttle servo and some paint for the body. i ran with a baja rtr, and there was a noticeable diff. i think someone who owns the rtr is gonna say things to justify the rtr. but, if the baja ss came out the same time the rtr did, i bet 90% would buy the ss kit.