Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

custom 1/4 buggy build up (with pics)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

custom 1/4 buggy build up (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:02 AM
Matty_c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom 1/4 buggy build up (with pics)

hey all iam not new to the large scale sceen but iam new to large scale cars.
what iam building is a 45cc mild mod husky chainsaw motor with tuned pipe it dose 16,000rpm and roughly 4+hp iam making a tube frame it will be arround 40" long once finished ive got some imex jumbo swamp dawgs for the rear and ill get some normal imex swamp dawgs for the front so the tyres match ill also get it some sand shoes[8D]. iam just going to do abit more frame work then ill do a mock up with some pics( later on tonite hopefuly) lmk what you guys think.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:37 AM
help-me

Default RE: custom 1/4 buggy

I look forward to seeing it, sounds cool.

phil
Old 12-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Matty_c

well here it is I still have to do some more on the frame and make the top part of the cage over the engine but ill do that once I have my swing arm built and ill be making it from 5mm sold alloy plate cut to shape and will add some supports into it so it doesn’t twist to bend I should be getting my bearings and bearing hubs tomorrow ill be using a 1/2 solid axle disk brake rear and ill have a chain from the clutch to a jack shaft then to the axle to get the gearing I want and if I want to change the gearing for more acceleration or top end I can. Iam going to use a machined hub to hold the brake disk and the rear sprocket on the axle.
The fuel tank is a ryobi line trimmer tank the pipe on the motor is a modded fatboy exhaust from a 49cc pocket bike iam going to make it a new header pipe so it wraps around the engine abit better. oh and just to get some idea of how large this is a mcd Baja copy fits in-between the wheels of it hehehehe these are just mock up pics the front and rear of the buggy will be around 1inch taller then in the pics iam unsure of what shocks to use was going to use some hotbodies shocks 4 at the rear and 4 at the front but I think they might be abit soft and I don’t want Baja ones(also looked at fg mcd and smartech) but they done seem to have enough travel what would you suggest maybe integy piggy back or some rear 1/8 buggy shocks. Any (positive) feed back is appreciated
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63507.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	837191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11096.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	837192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70735.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	837193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24885.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	837194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm74491.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	837195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar10493.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	837196  
Old 12-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Fabe

Hey, that looks like it's going to be tons of fun building and driving. If you're going to be making the A-arms, then perhaps you could use 3 instead of 2 shocks if you don't want to use Baja shocks. From the way it looks the rear will be the main problem since there's little weight in the front. What will the total weight be, more or less? Mine is around 20 pounds with more weight in the back but I got away with using T-Maxx shocks:

[link]http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7276473[/link]

Are you considering using a differential? Also, since you have lots of space, it would be cool if you slapped in a gear system like in a bike so you can shift using your radio.

Keep us updated,

Fabiano
Old 12-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Matty_c

well looking at a weight between 20-30 pounds or 10-14kg yes i think i might run 3 shocks at the rear (each side).
nahh diffs cost to much lol yea was thinking of making a gear changer on it but ill just see hopw it goes as it is and later on if i want ill put one in. dont think ill do much on the buggy today its 9;30 and 41deg C in the workshop ill head out and get my bearings abit later i think.

thats a nice truck you got there lil cag engine i actualy race aircooled pocket bikes if you want any help moding it shoot me a pm.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:44 AM
Matty_c

Default RE: custom 1/4 buggy build up (with pics)

well got the front a arms started welded the man frame of them up need to add in some bracing shock mounts and so on. i got my bearings aswell and drew up my rear swing arm on the aloy plate iam also going to order my rear tyres soon i hope from imex ill get some jumbo knong swamp dawgs for the rear. ill get some pics of the front arms after i finish bracing them and make up the front hubs. tommorow after work ill cut out my back swing arm piece and bolt the bearings up.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:37 AM
splcrazy

these custom home builds are awsome , i wish i could make someting like that . would an rc that big and powerfull be allowed to drive on the street considering its controlled by radio , cos if your on it riding it then it would be illegal .
Old 01-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Matty_c

iam making a trailer to pull my boat a 5yr old would be able to ride the car lol imagine that a giant rc car cruzing down the road wih a lil kid sitting on top hahaha
Old 01-09-2008, 10:06 AM
keenney111

He's mine. I did it over the summer with left over aluminun scrap. Full independant suspension with adjustable gearing. Total weight 31 lbs. I have to make a roll cage too next summer.