Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Cable or Hydros, That is the ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:11 PM
RURC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cable or Hydros, That is the ?

OK here is what I am looking at. I have a Lauterbacher 1/5 on road car and I want to go with disc brakes. Fronts now and I might go to the rears later also, but that depends on how my new motor brake system works out, and that is another story. Here are my thoughts:

I am an avid mountain biker. I have a top line Fischer 29er. I went and got the top line Hayes hydros for it. I did not like it it was way too grabby and neither I nor the dealer could fix it. We then went to Magura hydros. Now these were better but were also very touchy and I just did not feel safe braking from speeds around 40 to 60 mph with them it was just to hard too fast. I then rode a friends Fischer that had Avid cable disc brakes. Now this was smooth and controllable and if you slammed on them they would positively stop as fast as the hydros but were just forgiving and confidence inspiring. I went and bought the Avid cable brakes for my bike and have loved them for the last 3 years with no failures at all.

Now here is the question: Wouldn't the same kind of thing happen on one of these scale cars because of the light weight that was going on with my bike?

I mean it is the exact same system basically. I think that also the small amount of cable stretch makes them smoother. Now I am new to giant scale and am looking for information. If I can brake this car very well with cables vs hydros then the several hundred price difference is not worth it for me right now.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:12 PM
RURC

Default RE: Cable or Hydros, That is the ?

made errror here sorry
Old 01-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Vette09

Lots of guys at the highest level of competition use cables with great sucess. I use them also and love them. They take a little longer to set up and adjust properly but I feel they stop just as well as hydros if you use a good servo. I use Hitec 5955's for front brakes and rear brakes/throttle. The difference in price between the two could probably get you a nice modified motor!
Old 01-07-2008, 09:05 PM
vtl1180ny

I have cables on the technokit and Hydros on the FG, honestly, I like the Hydros better... I feel like I get more positive end even stopping power with the Hydros...
Old 01-08-2008, 03:07 AM
Apache-

What you describe with the experience of abrupt braking experience on your mountain bike you can transfer 1 ->> 1 to the rc car.
The new car of Clark has cables as well. He is one of the most expertized men when it comes to setting up brakes in the rc world.
Go cables, most of the top drivers have thrown out hydros, not without reason.
Instead of breaking, rather step on the gas
Old 01-08-2008, 03:47 AM
hathi
Banned

I could see this both ways... but most people do not get quality cable brakes. A good quality calbe brake would have more "feel". But that being said you will spend as much if not more for them then hydro brakes. I know on my baja (I know) I ran a simalar set up to the ramtech version 1 front brakes. And found them to be garbage... What do you expect for a xrc conversion?

Almost all hydro brakes are going to give even braking force to each wheel. For ease of use I would go for the hydro's
Old 01-08-2008, 07:52 AM
RURC

OK great thoughts, all of them. Here is a follow up...

Where is the best place to get words from the large scale racers?

Now 2 responses commented on the 'eveness'. I am assuming that 'balance' is what is really being ment. If so this can really see. To balance out left to right is going to be very criticle on the front of this car. How is the best way to do left to right balance? Do they make gauges to measure the caliper force for these small cars?

How do I contact Mr Clark?

"Hathi" I have only seen (been able to find) FG and the XRC style cable brakes I really have not seen much differance in the appearance and materals used on the calipers. Who else makes them and where can I talk to people and find information on them. If I go hydro I am going to get the Lauterbacher ones I think. Any comment on the brands of hydros would be helpful.

Thanks to all for your help so far.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:18 AM
htawfik3

Lauterbacher holding a reputable name in R/C industry and their hydro will be perfect choice over cable breaks.

Cable and hydro are use by pro racers depending on their driving styles but they normally use them front and rear and it very rare they race with rear disk breaks.

I’m using both, I found cable breaking power are effective same as Hydro but they need much more time to set them in a proper way, the hydro are much easier.

I race on-Road and off-Road with Hydro breaks and I have excellent control on the cars but I use many features in my remote control remote control to get right breaking power front and Rear, right and left and this is exactly what pro racers doing, they do manual adjustment then they play with servos speeds, right and left ATV, mixing channels, lag time ect.. to achieve optimum breaking harmonize with their driving styles.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:37 AM
vtl1180ny

There are a lot of good Hydros out there. The magura 2's, the mechatech (HARM) and the Collaris... You really can't go wrong with any of the 3... If you feel you have too much grab with the Hydros an easy way to calm them down is Metal pads with GFK or CF disks...

I like A LOT of grab, I want to be able to lock the brakes up tight and have all 4 wheels skidding... From there I'll tune the brakes on my radio to how much bias and grabbing power I want...

If you want to talk to the racers, not that there aren't any here but rctek.com is where the majority of the European guys hang out...
Old 01-09-2008, 07:50 AM
RURC

I need to find someone within 100 miles that runs 1/5 and has some information. I would really like to try this out before I just jump in. Most of the brakes I have found are set up for the square (FG) style hubs. Well mine are the Lauterbacher hex hubs. Is this hub the same size as the HPI B5. If so I have found a inexpensive source for rotors and I might just get one of the B5 kits for the Lauterbacher.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:11 PM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

If you do choose cable brakes the cables themselves make a huge difference. I've used Fg's for years and once I tried the ones Krikke Racing has on his site it was a HUGE difference. You can loop them and the cable inside slides very easily!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:07 AM
RURC

Well since I cant locate someone anywhere close to me I am going to get both and see what I like. I am going to get the Magura set up and a FG cable set. What ever one I dont use on the Lauterbacher I will modify my XTM XLB1/6 off road buggy for them. That should be interesting to do and make for a good article somewhere.

Anyone have words on the sets I have chosen to get and test with?