Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Need your best FG jumping tips.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:21 PM
PBJT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your best FG jumping tips.

I want to do some large jumps. Like over a dump truck size load of dirt or even a Motor cross jump. Can anyone give me thier advise that usually lands them rubber down. My best advise is be sure not to let off the gas untill the back wheels are off whatever ramp you are using........any more. anything. I run a FG MT.

PBJT
Old 01-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Need your best FG jumping tips.

Make sure you're not on the throttle when you land.

Due to the limited torque control in the air of these beasts, the ramp shape will be your most important factor. Doesn't matter what else you do, if the back wheels are kicked up on take off, you're gonna land on lexan.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:31 PM
clubin

Here are 2 things, throttle to bring the front up and break to bring th front down, left to right you are in trouble. It has a lot to do with the takeoff, it must be square so you don't veer left or right. Hope this helps.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Dave ESPI

FG truck or car ?

TRUCK ? good luck !
Old 01-08-2008, 08:57 PM
clubin

ORIGINAL: Dave ESPI

FG truck or car ?

TRUCK ? good luck !
He said he owns a FG MT. What do you mean "good luck!" That must be a good thing.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:43 PM
MONAROMAN

I've found a couple of blips of the throttle help to keep the front up through the air, once they nosedive but its all over, and let off that throttle before landing as Foxy said
Old 01-08-2008, 10:46 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

rear wheel drive rc's are almost uncontrollable in air its not 4x4 where you can controll the pitch , also its something i wouldnt do myself but take a video camera with ya and a big parts bag
Old 01-08-2008, 11:41 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: clubin

Here are 2 things, throttle to bring the front up and break to bring th front down, left to right you are in trouble. It has a lot to do with the takeoff, it must be square so you don't veer left or right. Hope this helps.

This may work on a nitro but doesn't do anything with a gaser...you can throttle a 2wd gaser all ya want and it won't budge in the air
Old 01-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Dave ESPI

FG truck or car ?

TRUCK ? good luck !
He said he owns a FG MT. What do you mean "good luck!" That must be a good thing.
I was being sarcastic.

I've been trying to keep my truck flying and landing on the wheels for almost a year now........ virtualy impossible with anything bigger than a 30 degree ramp and more than 3 seconds hang time. The truck is just too unballanced to be a "jumper". There is a video of cars jumping GRAVEDIGGER with a massive ramp ( find link a few pages back here in the Giant Scale forum) where they were giving away a Baja5b as the best jump prize.

I've got years and years of off road 1/10th scale jump experience, but these FGMT's are just not meant for massive jumps.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 AM
N3il.h

Id have to agree with largescale not for jumpers...im not saying it will fall apart but there isnt any real kind of control once in the air! maybe better if it was 4wd like most nitros, that may help it
Old 01-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Bratch96

Agreed, the size and weight of our large scales makes them land more like a real full size vehicles. Smaller, lighter rc's can fly through the air like dirt bikes. But, don't let that stop you from trying. Tear it up.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:06 PM
matt0677

Agree with above, you can't jump a large scale the same way as a light nitro truck. If you set up the jump well and treat it like a real car then you can get some impressive air with a Marder or Baja, but less so with a MT because of it's high CG and wind resistance. The weight of these things means a bad landing can be crippling. I once landed inverted from a 2ft altitude and it ripped the spark plug from my engine, stripping most of the thread from the barrel.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:51 PM
pwaicon

The best advice I could give you, is to pray for the best. More times than not, the landings are not going to be pretty. Besides it doesn’t matter how it lands, its how it looks in the air (as long has you catch it on camera).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94465.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	846720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61995.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	846721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73793.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	846722  
Old 01-09-2008, 05:17 PM
clubin

ORIGINAL: pwaicon

it doesn’t matter how it lands, its how it looks in the air (as long has you catch it on camera).
That's funny.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:19 PM
clubin

FG truck or car ?

TRUCK ? good luck !
I was being sarcastic.

I've been trying to keep my truck flying and landing on the wheels for almost a year now........ virtualy impossible with anything bigger than a 30 degree ramp and more than 3 seconds hang time. The truck is just too unballanced to be a "jumper". There is a video of cars jumping GRAVEDIGGER with a massive ramp ( find link a few pages back here in the Giant Scale forum) where they were giving away a Baja5b as the best jump prize.

I've got years and years of off road 1/10th scale jump experience, but these FGMT's are just not meant for massive jumps.
Just razzing ya, somone has to keep you on your toes.

So would throwing a pumpkin up in the air and hoping for a good landing sum up jumping a FG MT?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Dave ESPI

2 pumpkin options....

Only if the pumpkin was fresh off the vine, they tend to crack open cleanly.
If the pumpkin has gone through one coldsnap "frost" and froze, then thawed, they tend to be a bit more rubbery and will "bounce" for a few days.

If the Pumpkin is 8 weeks past Halloween............. your FG would be better as a pie or fertelizer in a compost pile
Old 01-09-2008, 11:15 PM
TIM MT

I am sure that not all the landings will be pretty but the fun is in the attempt. It is obviously not what these trucks do best but it sure does look cool in the air! I am guessin gthat if I learn to throttle down just to drop the nose a bit I will go less distance but land flatter. Trial and error! Now to build a ramp...
Old 01-10-2008, 02:06 AM
MONAROMAN

Agreed they don't jump like a nitro - but you can still have fun jumping them though, I have a youtube vid that I can't link to here at RCU but its under username 750valve and its title is "My FG Monster Beetle... The Ballad of Bodacious" it shows one tank worth of jumping at our local bashgrounds, not 20ft airs but theres a mix of good and bad landings and I broke nothing except the rear pipe mount (which was a piece of coathanger wire) - all the bad landings are at the end. They are not fragile beasts, they will cop a beating and come back and ask for more - especially with the beetle body. I actually believe when you get the run up right they sail thru the air quite well, really flat and level.

Heres one showing another local fella's FG, all the offroad jumping action is at the end, click on the username 750valve and you will see the other FG video - Ballad of Bodacious

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ4tWoOHfZo]FG Bling at Bass Hill[/link] the jumping starts at 3:00
Old 01-10-2008, 10:06 AM
nothinbetr2do

here you go MONAROMAN, i linked it for you. great video by the way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU5Sw...eature=related
Old 01-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Dave ESPI

Primus ?

nice !
Old 01-10-2008, 04:14 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: PBJT

I want to do some large jumps. Like over a dump truck size load of dirt or even a Motor cross jump. Can anyone give me thier advise that usually lands them rubber down. My best advise is be sure not to let off the gas untill the back wheels are off whatever ramp you are using........any more. anything. I run a FG MT.

PBJT
sure any fg can handle jumps but what your explaining with a dump truck load of dirt seems alittle extreme ..

Old 01-10-2008, 04:53 PM
clubin

^^ Nice pictures cyclops1970 they sure do look good in the air! ^^
Old 01-11-2008, 07:06 AM
MONAROMAN

Primus ?

nice !

Primus are my alltime favourite band... Primus Sucks! (only a fan would get that one), I have a Jerry video for the HPI baja well

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXPzESaccDE]Jerry was a Racecar Driver[/link]

Thanks gamesbeer, the link will be gone soon unfortunately, the song at the end is a bit racey for some at RCU apparently - some people don't even realise what its saying - other keen listeners get the idea, I have put it up before but it was removed.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:29 PM
jimjeep

I love jumping my RC's whenever I get the chance and my FG MB is no exception. The larger scales as mentioned earlier in the post are a little tougher to control in the air if you don't get the ideal launch off the ramp. The ramp should be at least 3 times the length and 2 times the width of the car with a gradual entry, keep it straight toward and on the ramp, throttle to the ramp - coast onto the ramp - then floor it off the ramp letting off the throttle just after the rear wheels leave the ramp. Control in the air is as mentioned earlier but offers very little room for correction. If you have front brakes then it is better to try for a more nose-up launch as braking 4 wheels will bring the front down much better than accelerating with only 2 wheels will bring the front back up. The most my FG has done is about 5-8 feet in height and maybe 15-25 feet in length off a 3-step 35 degree ramp with a spectacular crash into my tool shed at the end of the yard leaving a nice dent to remember the occasion! Oh yeah, don't forget to leave yourself plenty of stopping distance after landing too! Have fun and post some pics or video if you can.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:21 PM
jasrx

best tip DONT DO IT ...
heres my old FG MT doing a jump or 2 and landing bad .
right click on link and save target as
http://www.justrotors.com/media/fg2.wmv

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.