Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Baja 5b Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:14 AM
jimbosan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja 5b Problems

I recently purchased a Baja 5b for my early Christmas present to myself. I was a happy camper!... .....until now! I ran the buggy @2 weeks ago with no mishaps at all. Shut it down before the fuel ran out, cleaned out the tank, cleaned out the lines, blew off any dirt and dust, cleaned it up and placed it on its stand on my work table. [8D] It sat for 2 weeks and last night I took it out to show off for friends and it WOULD NOT START AT ALL! [] I tried to start it for almost 3 hours doing every step I could think of! Cleaned the carb, replaced the spark plug, checked the kill switch to see if it was stuck, Checked for spark, checked the fuel lines, checked the fuel, checked the air cleaner, looked for any obstructions, checked the coil...literally everything I could think of! Still NO start! [:@] Can anyone PLEASE help me out! [sm=drowning.gif]

Old 01-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Osirisf16

Default RE: Baja 5b Problems

Same problem. Check out if your engine stall. Just take out the spark, put upside down your baja and try to get all the unescessary fuel is in the engine from the hole of the spark. Then, replace the spark and try start your engine again. I hope it start. Mine, get some minutes untill it start
Old 01-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Osiris, I think you mean flooded, not stalled. And besides if it was flooded, I think in the three hours he was trying to start it, it would have at least 'tried' to fire. Strange one, sounds like you checked pretty much everything. I'm stumped!
Old 01-10-2008, 11:49 AM
jimbosan

Yes, I definately did the "upside down shake dance" to see if it was flooded. This is making me pull out what little hair I have left on my head! [:@]
Old 01-10-2008, 11:56 AM
NdFrSpeed
My Feedback: (1)

I had that happen to my FG Stadium truck,,pluged looked good but it wasnt,,put a new plug in ,took right off,,havent had that truoble sense,,that was like 3 gallons of gas ago,,no problem sense
Old 01-10-2008, 12:06 PM
jimbosan

Did that too! Gapped a new plug and installed it with no results. (Actually swapped out 2 new plugs to make sure!) This thing isn't even 'trying' to start.
I think I have done everything except stand on my head in the corner and stick my tongue out to make it start![sm=tongue_smile.gif]
AND HPI is any help either! Called their "support' line and he just said: "Well, you did everything I would have asked you to try. I don't know anything else. Have a great day!"
Old 01-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Osirisf16

Have a great day!??? However, i want you to try something else. Take out the spark and plug it with the cable. Then, (try to find one friend of yours and tell him to spin the engine all the time with the pull start and try to touch the spark on something metalic on the engine. Check if something sparky come out. If that sparky appears, i can't help you anymore and i hope i don't have such technic problems with mine. Have a great day dude
Old 01-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Dave ESPI

You have spark- Yes when you take plug out and touch it to engine head ?
Old 01-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Osirisf16

Prey to not see a spark. If you don't see any spark, then check your cable and your magnet (that thing that generates electricity which light the spark)
Old 01-10-2008, 02:17 PM
dimag093

Ignition problems........[sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-10-2008, 02:21 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Just like they said. Hold the rubber cap of the plug wire and touch the bottom of the plug to the head. Pull the start cord a few times and make sure you see a spark. If you don't see a spark then you should probably check your ignition module to see if it is properly gapped (about the thickness of a business card). You might also check to see that the contacts of the ignition module and then matching marks on the flywheel are not gunked up somehow (unlikely). Not knowing your level of expertise, the ignition module is the small box that sits just above the flywheel on the opposite end of the spark plug wire from the spark plug. To get to it you will need to remove the housing that covers the engine fan.

If the module is properly gapped and clean and you still don't see a spark then you might be able to conclude it is a defective ignition module. These don't usually have problems but since your car is new it might be a defective module. If you suspect the module is bad call HPI back and ask specifically about problems with bad ignition modules.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: jimbosan

Did that too! Gapped a new plug and installed it with no results. (Actually swapped out 2 new plugs to make sure!) This thing isn't even 'trying' to start.
I think I have done everything except stand on my head in the corner and stick my tongue out to make it start![sm=tongue_smile.gif]
AND HPI is any help either! Called their "support' line and he just said: "Well, you did everything I would have asked you to try. I don't know anything else. Have a great day!"
Have a great day? HAVE A GREAT DAY??? I would have asked him if he agreed, in that case, that the engine is faulty and please send me a new one. Have a great day?? Unbelievable.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Osirisf16

It seems that the people who sitting to the computer of the company don't have an idea of RC, so you send you that answer. As for the "have a nice day", no comment
Old 01-10-2008, 03:33 PM
jimbosan

I had already done the "spark" check and yes, I am getting a good clean blue spark from the plug when grounded to the engine block. (Had my step son hold the plug, it was hilarious!) Upon further investigationg, I think I found the problem. The piston has a crack in it and compression drops as soon as it rises. So, with that said, I am contacting O'neil Brothers and doing a conversion up to 27cc with a up grade cylinder kit. Oh well, what cha gonna do? [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 01-10-2008, 03:36 PM
jimbosan

Oh yeah, almost forgot, The HPI "Tech" (notice the quotation marks) did say to Have a Nice day. Never offered up any info about engine warranty or replacement.[&:]
Old 01-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Foxy

You shoulda asked him if 'this call is being recorded for quality purposes'... that always makes them a little extra helpful.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:50 PM
nothinbetr2do

ORIGINAL: jimbosan

Oh yeah, almost forgot, The HPI "Tech" (notice the quotation marks) did say to Have a Nice day. Never offered up any info about engine warranty or replacement.[&:]
you make a great point. with it being new they should take care of it for you
Old 01-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Osirisf16

However, good to find the problem
Old 01-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Hairballusmaximus

Bummer guy, sorry to hear that HPI was sooo helpful. Kinda wierd though, I broke an axle shaft and they were falling over to send me new one, got it in 2 days. Might have been one of recording days.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:44 PM
adan847

hey people
i've had the same problem but with a different motor, it was 29cc it worked for two weeks two tanks of gas. after that the motor never worked again. my hobbie shop tried evrything and still nothing worked . we returned it to the company ; the problem was that suposevelly that i never made the brakeing ive read in the manuals that the gas motors dont need to do any sort of breaking , well back to the company this people returned it back to me the new motor/engine and im pretty happy with this company but my hobbie shop still does not believe that that was the problem .
to fix your problem -buy another engine. sorry..
Old 01-10-2008, 07:06 PM
straty

ok i have had the same problem i cleaned out the exhaust and carby then i put some throttle on then try starting it
Old 01-11-2008, 07:34 PM
tmdz28

i think you should call HPI back, and ask them for a new engine.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:57 PM
kidd

screw that get a bigger engine
Old 01-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Dave ESPI

get bigger engine sent HPI the broken part, and tell them to get better techs.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:24 PM
jimbosan

I got tired of trying to deal with HPI, so I just went ahead and ordered a new 29cc kit from Daves Motors. THEY will give customer support and a REAL warranty on the engines that they sell. Plus, it will be WAY more power than even the new 26cc engine included in the SS version of the Baja.
NOW, All I have is one more major question. I want to change out the exhaust, but I don't like the pipes that looks like someones intestines hanging off the back of the buggy. Will the X-Can with the large spacer installed give me enough of a gain in performance to not worry about a $200 + dollar ugly exhaust?[sm=confused.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.