Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

FG Hummer, don't do it folks. Monster Truck, fine, but not Hummer.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG Hummer, don't do it folks. Monster Truck, fine, but not Hummer.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FG Hummer, don't do it folks. Monster Truck, fine, but not Hummer.

I really made a mistake buying the monster hummer. Let this be a lesson to anyone reading this thinking they fancy one. By all means get an FG Monster Truck, just NOT the Hummer bodied one. Due to various peculiarities of the design changes made to accommodate the body, some FG hopups which are designed for 'Monster Models', don't fit properly on the hummer. This includes pipes, wheelie bars and a couple of other bits and pieces. I wasted a lot of money and my LHS (an FG distributor) did not even realise the problems I would have making them fit. It's cos of the rear body mounting system basically. Anyway, above that, the wheels strike the body ALL the time, the body will be wrecked after 2 runs, I am absolutely sure. It's just a really poor piece of thinking by FG. Sorry, but it is.

So....

I have a big favour to ask one of you guys who is selling FG parts... Please could you list everything I will need (including part numbers if possible) to turn my Monster Hummer into a Monster Beetle Pro? I would be very grateful, as I can't find an actual conversion kit anywhere. I'm expecting it may just be the rear body mounts, some other small bits and the body, but just wanted to double check. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Big Boys Toys and Hobbies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FG Hummer, don't do it folks. Monster Truck, fine, but not Hummer.

The Jetpro Version 2 exhausts fits both the Monster Truck and Monster Truck with Hummer body.

To switch over to a beetle pro from a Monster all you need is some body mounts. You use the same body mounts in the rear like the Hummer uses, which is 2 of the #7154...

The wing is mounted to the #6033 rear mounts used from the monster truck. You should be able to use the same front mounts and side mounts.

With the beetle body you will need the version 1 Jetpro exhaust though. It sits to low in the front for the Version 2 exhaust.

Hope this helps....
Old 01-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Foxy

Helps a lot thanks. Yeh, those #6033 vertical wing mounts are what the FG wheely bar mounts to, and has bolt holes in the correct position for the FG pipes. The main issue is not so much the parts fitting (though it was a big bummer when I realised the wheely bar wouldn't go on and would need serious body cutting [:@]), as you can always 'jig' it ghetto style, something I hate doing. The main issue is how fast that body will be destroyed, I mean it has like 2cm from the top of the tire at rest, doesn't leave much room for the suspension to compress. Plus, the beetle body self rights 9 times out of ten, and looks really smart. Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:13 AM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

your on the right track foxy by doing the change . the beetle body is 100 % stronger then the hummer without the issues like your experiencing ."which really sucks" you'll get it sorted .
Old 01-12-2008, 10:51 AM
rhylsadar

hi

what about just switching to the stadium truck tires?
there are different sorts of wheeliebars. with which one did you have those cutting troubles?

bye
rhylsadar
Old 01-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Foxy

hey rhylsadar, I like the big tires, no offense to stadium owners, but the look just isn't my cup of tea. [] The wheelybar in question is the FG, and the thing is I already bought it, so I want to use it. What's good is the fact that when I realised the wheelbar wouldn't fit on the stock Hummer, I bought those parts that bigboystoys just mentioned, the vertical wing mounts, so I already have them. Previously, I had fitted them, and the wheely bar, and everything was great, until I tried to put the body back on. [:@] It wasn't just a little bit out, I would have had to make two vertical 5 inch long, 1/2inch wide slits in the back of the body, further reducing the rigidity of an already vulnerable body. At that point, I put the stock rear uprights back on and forgot about the wheely bar. Then I got to mounting the FG pipe I've bought, and found that with the Hummer rear uprights, there was nowhere to secure it to. Double [:@]

The last straw was yesterday, when I threw the car down off the workbench (not in anger, just lifted it off the bench and dropped it on the floor, no more than 1m) and the suspension compressed and dinked the rear arches. At that point, I said 'SCREW THIS'! I'm getting rid of the stupid hummer body so I can mount my wing mounts I paid for, my wheely bar I paid for, and my FG pipe I've already paid for. Now I've got confirmation that all I need is the beetle body, I'm very happy! MY FG guy even has the beetle body in stock! I may swap out the FG pipe I bought for the beetle body and order a jetpro.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:25 PM
rhylsadar

hi

ok i see. the beetle body is cool because it has good 'rollover'-characteristics.

yes the 'original' fg wheelie bar is kinda problem. there are however others, if one feels the need, e.g.

aside of the stadium tires i there may be the possibility to go with the XL elcon wishbones. i don't know but maybe its enough that the tires don't touch the body anymore. of course its crazy expensive. but elcon is cool stuff.

by
rhylsadar
Old 01-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Foxy

Yeh, I've seen that wheely bar. I don't like the look of it, though I appreciate the design and I'm sure it's effective (I'm funny about how my cars look). The FG one has a much more OEM look, which I like.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:16 PM
dimag093

I've trashed my H2 shell on the VERY first rollover.The right back corner sliced from top to bottom like butter [:@] Not to mention that i had to trim(nearly remove) all 4 fender lips in order to prevent grinding on monster tires.With issues on monster truck like suspension travel and monster tires,it would be better for FG to release the H2 shell only for the stadium or street truck
I do have to admitt though that H2 shell looks awesome on the truck as a rig.Stationary.Not for bash
Old 01-12-2008, 04:05 PM
jasrx

yup the FG wheelie bar looks the best .

Old 01-12-2008, 04:47 PM
clubin

I will enjoy seeing pictures of the foxy Beetle. Welcome to the Beetle club, soon that is. Should we start a "OFFICIAL FG BEETLE THREAD" Realy sucks to fork out money and find out what you thought you were doing was all wrong. I know all about that. I parted out my XB8 for more funds for my MB. I know now why you sold your nitro stuff--kinda funny.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:13 PM
MONAROMAN

Hummer body is really crud thats for sure, it can't cop any abuse either - mine had a working tailgate within 10 minutes of running it... that is it tore a huge rip down one side of the back end and the back flapped all over the place. Now its a beetle and I've thrashed the same shell for about 9 months now - the are solid and as mentioned the roll over thing is awesome, 90% of the time they end up on the wheels.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:28 PM
krayziedxc
My Feedback: (9)

get your self and monster bettle body.. save you all the headaches...i love how it rolls and not destorys the body it self.. glad the beetle body came back after the volkswagon said about the logo.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Sean70

The reason your wheely bar didn't fit is because you most likely tried fitting FG- 6295 Wheely Bar which is for the FG MT. The correct one for the Hummer is FG - 6296 which mounts completely different and does not require you to change your rear roll bar parts to 6033. Below is a picture of the wheely bar for the Hummer in the bottom picture, as you can see it mounts well away from the Hummer shell and does not require any cutting of the shell at all.

Also for the FG Pipe which is FG - 6292 for the Hummer the instructions clearly show how to mount it for a Hummer rear roll cage. Below is the link to the instructions for the FG Pipe.

[link]http://www.fg-modellsport-gmbh.de/_PDF-ANLEITUNGEN/A.6291-6292.pdf[/link]
Old 01-12-2008, 11:01 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im surprised no one has brought up how butt ugly the hummer is
Old 01-12-2008, 11:24 PM
clubin

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Im surprised no one has brought up how butt ugly the hummer is
I personally like the look of the Beetle and the MT. I am also not a fan of the hummer.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:28 PM
raptor 8

The wheelie bar still would not have fixed his issues with the tires rubbin and trashin his body, but ya i guess that would mount up.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:44 PM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

It would be nice to see a true Hummer shell. Hummer was made by AM General. GM only bought the name and re-branded it in 2000 to a H1. As far as I know only MCD had a Hummer body but it seems that they no longer make it now.

The Beetle body is the strongest out of all the MT bodies but they have also made it thinner. When I had mine you could tell the body was thick. Newer bodies have less material used.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Sean70

Yes the rear guards on the Hummer are close to the rear wheels and on harder landings would rub on the wheels. There are a couple of things you can do stop that from happening - 1) Firm up your rear suspension- different weight shock oil and/or add more shock absorber collets FG - 6445 to firm up the rear springs. 2) The best option - Install the alloy rear spring deflection limitation set, FG - 4460 - this is a fully adjustable limiter that controls how much the rear bottoms out. You set it to the point where the rear guards do not touch the rear wheels when the car is compressed and the rear will not compress any further, therefore eliminating the rear guards from getting damaged. Below is a picture of the limitation set in the bottom right corner. You can also see how it is installed in the top left picture.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:10 AM
rhylsadar

hi

i have to admit that i like the look of the hummer very much! it is soo cool. i also have one of those shells here for my mt. however i didn't install it yet because i read in several (german speaking) forums that there are issues. so i still have the beetle body mounted. i may think of the jeep body. i think it looks very good also. thats one thing FG is really good at imo: the cars look sexy! and we all know: sex sells.

bye
rhylsadar
Old 01-13-2008, 07:15 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Sean70

Yes the rear guards on the Hummer are close to the rear wheels and on harder landings would rub on the wheels. There are a couple of things you can do stop that from happening - 1) Firm up your rear suspension- different weight shock oil and/or add more shock absorber collets FG - 6445 to firm up the rear springs. 2) The best option - Install the alloy rear spring deflection limitation set, FG - 4460 - this is a fully adjustable limiter that controls how much the rear bottoms out. You set it to the point where the rear guards do not touch the rear wheels when the car is compressed and the rear will not compress any further, therefore eliminating the rear guards from getting damaged. Below is a picture of the limitation set in the bottom right corner. You can also see how it is installed in the top left picture.
Thanks for the ideas Sean, but all of those solutions require such dramatic changes to rear stiffness that the back would bounce around all over the place. These trucks are already 'bouncy', any further stiffening of the rear is a no-no as far as I'm concerned.

Rhyl - Sweet beetle.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:53 AM
clubin

Nice lookin Beetle rhyl, what sort of issues are you having with the beetle body?
Old 01-13-2008, 09:52 AM
rhylsadar

hi
no issues with the beetle body. i just read of some problems with the hummer body. thats why i didn't use mine yet.
bye
rhyls
Old 01-14-2008, 11:44 PM
TIM MT

I love my jeep body and it had taken to bashing quite well. I am using stadium mounts to keep things lower and so I needed to cut out the front fenders beetle style and remove parts of the rear wheel moldings but I always loved the look of a Jeep!!!

Old 01-15-2008, 07:55 AM
kg2mb

excellent jeep looks great.[sm=shades_smile.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.