Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Best baja 5B pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:58 AM
largebrowncat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best baja 5B pipe

is there any sort of general consensus as to whats the best pipe for the Baja?

Also, Id rather this not become a thread where all the 500 of you who own your own hobby shops or make your own parts start arguing.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:08 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Best baja 5B pipe

Also, Id rather this not become a thread where all the 500 of you who own your own hobby shops or make your own parts start arguing.

Thats the real trick in this forum :/

I've heard good things about the TGN pipe.... but then everyones talking about the GBE pipe as well but I've never seen it in action.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:59 AM
mopar jake

the jetpro v3 pipe is a kilkler topend pipe i have one on my baja and i love it.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:51 AM
brice_arnold
My Feedback: (6)

This is not a simple question. There is no such thing at "the best". Each pipe improves a limited power band of your engine. The first you need to ask your self how do you want to improve the performance of your engine? Part of this is obviously determining your driving style. There are three styles of pipes for the baja. 1. sidemount (GBE, DDM, TGN) 2. short enclosed (HPI, X-Can) 3. rear style pipe (JP, DDM DOM) some of these pipes are more suseptable to damage than others. Also you might consider the cosmetics of each pipe. As you can see there are too many variables to just say what is the best. But we can try to help you in this decision.

In the end almost anything will be a world of difference over the stock muffler.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:11 AM
sheograth

Figure Id just ask here instead of making a new topic....

Anyone happen to know how top end performance compares between the GBE and the TGN?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

It'd be good so see some of the manufacturers meet up, bring their best Baja's along with their best race tuned engines and pipes and have a good old fashioned drag race, videod of course and posted on youtube. We can smack talk all day and post up dyno results but having the tyres on the ground is where it counts.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:17 AM
kurtmeyer
Banned

DOM pipe is awesome...
Old 01-14-2008, 11:03 AM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: largebrowncat

is there any sort of general consensus as to whats the best pipe for the Baja?

I like the Jetpro V3's, loads of top end and built well,perfect fit and well protected.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:17 AM
DarkSoul Racing

I really still like the HPI pipe. It does not make the most power, but seems to be a little more consistent over a bit broader RPM range, but again, does not beat anything I don't think in top HP numbers. The main thing is I like that it is protected by the cage, as well as does not detract by hanging down the side of the Baja, which personally I hate. The DDM rear mount is not too bad, but I would tend to destroy that. I had great success running along side much larger engines with a well tunes Zen 26 and the HPI pipe with what seemed like a less fidgety, peaky engine. I would run right there with say a 30.5, and then at a very specific point, the larger engine/ pipe combo would take off, in the dunes and wide open area, they would kill me, on a track, I don't think they would fair to well though.

As Brice said, you need to figure out what kind of driving you do, and that should help decide on a pipe.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:10 PM
krayziedxc
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Thats the real trick in this forum :/

I've heard good things about the TGN pipe.... but then everyones talking about the GBE pipe as well but I've never seen it in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJjia2lPJs4
Old 01-14-2008, 04:58 PM
omra

The DDM Dominator pipe is superb,loads of grunt,top and bottom end.Sound awsome too!!
Old 01-15-2008, 03:33 AM
Hairballusmaximus

I have the HPI perf pipe. Its performance is good. I think its a good all around pipe. Decent low end and top end gains. I have also had what I would consider to be some pretty spectacular wipe outs and have not had any damage yet. I do not however have any experience with the DDM, GBE, or the Jet Pro pipes.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:30 AM
hathi
Banned

I've run TGN Race Pipe, DDM Dominator rear mount, X-Can, HPI Tuned pipe and the GBE dual side bleed pipe. The X-Can and TGN pipe win hands down on the bottom end power. The DDM pipe is a great pipe for bottom to mid end power. HPI pipe has good top end power. The GBE pipe is great all round. The X-Can is very well protected, the HPI pipe would fall a close second. All the other pipes could see damage from a freak hit. But are not as week as many claim.

I would recomend going from the cheapest to most expensive.
X-Can
HPI
DDM
GBE

You would not be disapointed in the GBE pipe, cost is high but you are getting what you pay for. Next I would recomend the DDM rear mount, then the HPI pipe.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:49 AM
splcrazy

yous need to be specific about saying lol ( go the ddm pipe ) lol thers different types of DDM pipes . ive got the new DDM sidemount its not bad but i dunno so i got the DDM FD120 rear mount pipe and its the LOUDEST most powerfull pipe ive tried , ive yet still to buy the jetpro baja5b pipe the kind that comes around the back and has the integrated silencer , i wouldent get the jetpro pipe that has the removable silencer cos its just comon sense what will happen to it when running the baja5b lol like it would come off and you could lose your silencer muffler lol, So I would ONLY choose between the DDM FD 120 rear mount and the jetpro with integrated silencer is my only two choices, but i love the DDMrear mount so much i want to buy another one and keep as a spare lol.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:08 PM
hndaman1

My new GBE pipe came a couple days ago[X(] it sure is purty...here is some pics of it installed without the body on yet....I cannot wait too let this bad boy rip I used some High temp Brake-caliper paint to paint in the "GBE" logo....

Old 02-27-2008, 02:14 PM
wan6176

im making my own pipe..
Old 02-27-2008, 03:44 PM
sheograth

Since someone else bumped the thread I'll chime in, as of now I have a GBE pipe and it absolutely rocks.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

Another vote for GBE (end bleed in my case)

Old 02-27-2008, 05:59 PM
sheograth

Well since we're posting pics too....

Old 02-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

Ohhhh so shiney!

Dining room tables make such good Baja stands.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:05 AM
splcrazy

damn you guys are making me jeleous with that chrome body painted shells
Old 03-01-2008, 10:56 AM
hndaman1

I like that INTEGY roof scoop Sheograth..... I Noticed that you have too REMOVE the GBE pipe too put the body on/off all the time...I think that might get annoying after awhile..But I might make a 2 pc upper body for that reason alone
Old 03-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

No you dont, you just havent learned the technique yet. You feed the body through the the space towards the front of the pipe at an angle, then swing it round. A bit of practice and you'll have it sorted. I've not had to remove the pipe once yet and have had the body off loads of times.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Speaking of that, I have to say it's a bloody nightmare with the mielke pipe, taking the body off/on. It's doable, but it ain't fun. I'm getting better, but there's still lots of scraping and cursing going on. lol

Luckily you don't have to remove it to charge the batt. It's one of my favourite features of the Baja, and a really smart idea, imo.