Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Who will come out with a new 1/5 scale next.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Ae
7.69%
Losi
41.03%
Traxxas
35.90%
Kyosho
10.26%
Thunder Tiger
5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Who will come out with a new 1/5 scale next.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:36 PM
TheTruckingGuru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who will come out with a new 1/5 scale next.

K spindle I to was at the AMA convention in Ontario and had no Idea a Traxxas guy would be there. I do not write Traxxas off my list anytime soon. They just released 2 new 1/10 Nitros this year, both RTR and both car and truck do 65mph out of the box. So they are capable of producing some performance machines. I am not really sure why they designed some low end 1/6 gas buggy but they really messed up on that one. They should have went big like HPI and go for the gold. Team Losi has been coming out with great electrics like their Micro T and their new Mini LST2. And they just released the a new 1/10 Speed T electric racer. So I am sure they are capable of a 1/5 gasser. HPI Baja reigns king for now but I would like another American Manufacture to produce a 1/5 on road gasser much like the MCD Rally Car or FG F1 both of which are twice as much as a Baja.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:25 PM
vtl1180ny

ORIGINAL: TheTruckingGuru

K spindle I to was at the AMA convention in Ontario and had no Idea a Traxxas guy would be there. I do not write Traxxas off my list anytime soon. They just released 2 new 1/10 Nitros this year, both RTR and both car and truck do 65mph out of the box. So they are capable of producing some performance machines. I am not really sure why they designed some low end 1/6 gas buggy but they really messed up on that one. They should have went big like HPI and go for the gold. Team Losi has been coming out with great electrics like their Micro T and their new Mini LST2. And they just released the a new 1/10 Speed T electric racer. So I am sure they are capable of a 1/5 gasser. HPI Baja reigns king for now but I would like another American Manufacture to produce a 1/5 on road gasser much like the MCD Rally Car or FG F1 both of which are twice as much as a Baja.

Neither AE nor Losi are American manufacturers anymore, Horizon owns Losi and Thunder Tiger owns AE... I still don't see either jumping on the large scale bandwagon...

Actually, you might see something come out under the Thunder Tiger name, but who knows...
Old 01-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Traxxas... performance 1/10th nitro on road? I'm in shocked disbelief. I been racing 1/10th nitro for over 10 years, I run an xray nt1, and I gotta say if someone turned up at our track with a 4tec, they be laughed out of the pits. The only thing you said right is that it does do about 65 mph out of the box (more like 60, but who's counting), but it handles like total crud, is based on a 15 year old design and has a .20 engine in it (a 'performance' car would have a .12 and top out at whatever speed is appropriate for the track in question).

Team Losi doing well in the electric small scales right now is exactly why I don't believe they have any short term plans for a gasser. Can you imagine a Losi gasser? Even their 1/8th nitro RTRs fall apart unless you strip and rebuild them with threadlock, I dread to think what a gasser would be like... I have little faith or respect for Team Losi, it's a personal thing, even their best car, the 8ight, has to suit your driving style or it's toilet. In my opinion, a car should be configurable to my driving style, as all the other top racing cars are. The worst part is, that they think they're right up there with the european and japanese racing brands, and they are so NOT.

As for the HPI Baja being king... of the RTR bashers maybe. As a 1/5th scale off road car, it's arguably the cheapest and lowest spec OEM car on the market, out of the box. There are racing cars which cost over 3 times as much and are certainly 3 times better. It's a great big boys toy at a reasonable price, but it's only the king of the consumer market, not of the track, or even the bash hill. The only thing that saves it from obscurity is that it's cool looking and has a HUGE aftermarket, er, market.

Sorry to disagree with you so completely, but that's how I feel, please don't take it personally. [8D]

PS I have an RTR Baja 5b, an FG Monster, and of course the aforementioned NT1. Check my profile if you want to see what else I've been running in the last few years.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: vtl1180ny

Neither AE nor Losi are American manufacturers anymore, Horizon owns Losi and Thunder Tiger owns AE... I still don't see either jumping on the large scale bandwagon...

Actually, you might see something come out under the Thunder Tiger name, but who knows...
I couldn't agree more. Thunder Tiger is by far your best bet for the next large scale entry. They have the market share (TTR is HUGE in Europe), the experience, the resources and the infrastructure and support to make it happen and make it happen well. They are the single most underrated manufacturer in RC. Again, my opinion.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:24 PM
vtl1180ny

ORIGINAL: foxy42

ORIGINAL: vtl1180ny

I couldn't agree more. Thunder Tiger is by far your best bet for the next large scale entry. They have the market share (TTR is HUGE in Europe), the experience, the resources and the infrastructure and support to make it happen and make it happen well. They are the single most underrated manufacturer in RC. Again, my opinion.

Remember, the only 5th scale Motorcycles out there are Nuova Faor and Thunder Tiger (which is a knock off of the NF Bike) Yea, I know there are a few others but try and actually find one or parts for it...

AE hasn't even updated their 10th scale Nitro car on almost 10 years....

Yea, Traxxas will do 60 out of the box.. On a real long straight lot, put it on the track and its history... Top speed numbers mean nothing, it's all gearing...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:02 AM
TheTruckingGuru

I am more a basher myself so my biased opinions reflect that. I just assume the next 1/5 scale will be a basher as so far the 1/5 scale racing scene is still in it's infancy here in America. Although here in Souther CA they are becoming more common with people racing their Baja's. Different case in Europe where they commonly race MCD's and FG's. I do not own but have tried the MCD rally and FG F1 cars and the are fun, and I am sure the MCD 4wd truck is a better basher then the Baja. But the FG and MCD models are at least twice as much as the Baja and that does not win over the consumer market. I would buy the MCD Rally car but as you know the dollar is weak right now over in Europe because of the actions of our wise and benevolent leader Putting out RTR models that are durable, cheap, and have a high top speed that impresses customers is what Traxxas does and does well. And while they may not be anyones choice for racing, their bashers are a good value. Right now HPI dominates the 1/5 scale in America nearly unchallenged. So I think Traxxas will be the next manufacture to offer a good value 1/5 scale gasser. Of course they already tried once with their 1/6 scale gas buggy, but, well lets not talk about that dark chapter in RC history