Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

2 clutchy questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:43 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2 clutchy questions

First of all, can someone tell me what size hex wrench I need for those 2 big ones that go into the clutch? See picture

Secondly, is there any trick to building the clutch assembly? If I put the spring in first, I cant for the life of me twist the shoes around to lock into eachother. And if I arrange the shoes first, and have the spring attached to one side, I cant pull it enough to get it into the other side.

Is there some special tool I need?
Old 01-19-2008, 10:11 PM
clubin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2 clutchy questions

This is what I did, I just changed the spring in mine last night.

Remove the spark plug and push some rope into the cylinder, then if memory serves me it is either 15 or 16mm , the rope is easier than a piston locking tool. The rope locks the piston so you can remove and re install the 2 clutch bolts. The spring has to be put on the shoes twisted till locket together, mine was a bugger and then put onto the engine.

The only special tools you will need is some clean rope, or a clean rag torn into a 16" by 1" strip.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:32 PM
part-time
My Feedback: (1)

the ones that have a hex are 5 or 6mm there is a vid of a simple way but i not allowed to link to it. so ill pm u the link
Old 01-19-2008, 11:30 PM
jasrx

ORIGINAL: clubin

This is what I did, I just changed the spring in mine last night.

Remove the spark plug and push some rope into the cylinder, then if memory serves me it is either 15 or 16mm , the rope is easier than a piston locking tool. The rope locks the piston so you can remove and re install the 2 clutch bolts. The spring has to be put on the shoes twisted till locket together, mine was a bugger and then put onto the engine.

The only special tools you will need is some clean rope, or a clean rag torn into a 16" by 1" strip.

Hope this helps.
hang on how can threading a rope or rag into the cylinder head be easier then screwing a piston lock tool in ?
and yeah the clutch can be a pain to do the first time .
Old 01-19-2008, 11:33 PM
part-time

easier on the wallet for sure
Old 01-19-2008, 11:36 PM
jasrx

ORIGINAL: part-time

easier on the wallet for sure
10 bux lol if your worrying about 10 bux then ya in the wrong scale of racin/bashin .
Old 01-19-2008, 11:52 PM
part-time

im not worried about 10 bucks when something is needed. i have 2 fgs and a baja ss i think its too late to get out lol.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:00 AM
jasrx

ORIGINAL: part-time

im not worried about 10 bucks when something is needed. i have 2 fgs and a baja ss i think its too late to get out lol.
yup your in for life, like the rest of us
Old 01-20-2008, 12:58 AM
Bratch96

You put a rope into your engine???????? I just hold the clutch carrier thing with a screwdriver while I loosen the bolts with my other hand.
And when I changed my spring, those 8,000 rpm springs are tough, I put a screwdriver through each hole for leverage and got it to pop into place, good luck.

How much rope do you put in there?[sm=50_50.gif]
Old 01-20-2008, 01:53 AM
clubin

ORIGINAL: Bratch96

You put a rope into your engine???????? I just hold the clutch carrier thing with a screwdriver while I loosen the bolts with my other hand.
And when I changed my spring, those 8,000 rpm springs are tough, I put a screwdriver through each hole for leverage and got it to pop into place, good luck.

How much rope do you put in there?[sm=50_50.gif]
I don't have a piston locking tool, that is why I use the rope trick, depends on the diameter, if it is 1/4" I put in about 4 or 5".

Not a money issue, I just feel the rope trick is safer JMO.