Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Baja 5B - Pros and Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:06 PM
zx10r203

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja 5B - Pros and Cons?

I was looking around for a large scale and I am interested on the Baja 5B RTR.

Could anyone tell me the Pros and Cons of the Baja 5B RTR?

Thanks!!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Baja 5B - Pros and Cons?

RTR or SS? They have slightly differing pros and cons.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:36 PM
DarkSoul Racing

They have a few relatively minor shortcomings that are easily overcome by some aftermarket mods. The great thing about them is that there is a ton of aftermarket for them, and support is in the US. FG and MCD are good cars as well, but they are expensive, and the support and aftermarket leave a bit to be desired.

I think we are probably a very short time away from being able to build a Baja from scratch without buying a single HPI part. Also you have a huge group of guys local to you that can help out should you have any issues.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Dave ESPI

Welcome to theGiant Scale forum !

Spend some time reading older Baja threads, and familiarize yourself with it. There is a wealth of knowledge here
Old 01-26-2008, 01:42 AM
Bratch96

So if you built a baja with all hop up parts and no HPI parts would that be considered a clone or a knock-off?? You could call it a Baja 5H. For Hopped up.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:30 AM
hathi
Banned

ORIGINAL: Bratch96

So if you built a baja with all hop up parts and no HPI parts would that be considered a clone or a knock-off?? You could call it a Baja 5H. For Hopped up.

Thats a good point! Would it be a clone? I would say yes it would other then the fact that it would not come built, kind of like peacing together a baja SS
Old 01-26-2008, 11:20 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Bratch96

OR BAJA 5H for Home built
Old 01-26-2008, 11:25 AM
FastEddy
My Feedback: (1)

I dont think it would be a clone at all.
To me a clone is building on that looks exactly like the factory 5B.
Using available aftermarket parts to build one would be.... Who know what to call it but not a clone.

We have all seen this in the Traxxix arena. They end up looking far from the original.

Pros to the Baja are as listed above.
Cons, You will loose you job and spend you life savings.
IE: It becomes addictive.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:01 PM
DIABLOTAC78

ill call it mutated baja built stronger.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:54 PM
splcrazy

would it work out cheaper or just a little more to buy every single piece from DDM for example and put it together yourself rather than buying the rtr or the ss kit . i mean i could buy all the parts from ddm and build my self a second baja from scratch .
Old 01-27-2008, 01:30 AM
Bratch96

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

would it work out cheaper or just a little more to buy every single piece from DDM for example and put it together yourself rather than buying the rtr or the ss kit . i mean i could buy all the parts from ddm and build my self a second baja from scratch .

I don't think it would be cheaper, but it would be cheaper than buying one and then upgrading every single part or even upgrading most parts.

Someone should put together a parts lists. Or maybe make a website full of drop down menus to piece together a custom baja.

Baja 5C customized
Old 01-27-2008, 03:19 AM
splcrazy

ive been thinking about it for a long time , it wouldnt take nothing at all , like youve got the main chassis then the rear chassis plate then you can buy your own motor i already have a choice of two pipes that i already own and then the rest is all plastic parts and then all the screws that it needs, i already have most of the stock parts ive taken off to mod my current baja its simple lol .hmmmm i maybe think that itll even be cheaper or nearly the same price of a rtr when completed . plus it will be done with a modded motor so i think i can make a custom built baja from scratch buying every single seperate piece from DDM that will cost hopefully upto $1000 or just a little over when completed, then just buy my own radio . What do you think ???
Old 01-27-2008, 02:15 PM
FastEddy

If you start doing the math, its cheaper to buy an RTR and sell off what you dont want or to get a roller.
Its all the little parts that will kill your pocket not the big ones. Just price out a set of 4 shocks and all the parts for the roll cage.
The financial picture of building one from parts becomes clear.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:52 PM
vertigo performance

It would only a clone if the parts came from China right Dave? LOL!!!
Old 01-27-2008, 10:31 PM
fourwheeler

The Baja has one major con to it;

It is so cool I am bankrupting myself trying to trick it out.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:43 PM
nothinbetr2do

ORIGINAL: fourwheeler

The Baja has one major con to it;

It is so cool I am bankrupting myself trying to trick it out.
i'm doing the same thing to my ss right nowi'll post pics later
Old 01-28-2008, 01:44 AM
splcrazy

ive done everything to mine except alloy arms
Old 01-28-2008, 03:16 AM
hathi
Banned

Really how many after market parts are need for the SS? My feelings here, outerwears for the air filter and axle extenders for the rears. Other then that, not much really... I see so many people droping huge change on aftermarket, that you could have bought a back up and have been running longer.

Come on people lets not scare new people into thinking that you get the new toy, and now you have to spend mad cash to make it into something.

The truth is in stock form you should be very happy with the way it is. The outerwears are needed if running in dusty or fine sand, axle extenders are needed if you plan on doing hard cornering.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:18 AM
hathi
Banned

You can get axle extenders from Dark Soul, or Vertigo Performance. Both who are members here! Both sell a good product, but both with diffrent features.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:16 AM
DarkSoul Racing

I don't think its scaring people away, I think each person uses their buggy to different levels, and based on that, they will need to upgrade/replace certain items as they get damaged. I ran mine for quite a while without changing a thing except extenders (then I started going to the dunes [>:].

I believe all the aftermarket is great, lots of cool parts for different applications, some very beneficial, some more bling, but its the ability to customize and trick these out that is so much fun. I do agree, get you buggy, and leave it alone for the first few tanks and see what your style of driving dictates for upgrades if any.

Just like real cars/trucks, you don't need to upgrade it, but it sure is fun, I can't wait till I can afford the big Camburg suspension setup for my Toyota, needed...hell no, wanted...hell yes.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:53 AM
fourwheeler

ORIGINAL: hathi

Really how many after market parts are need for the SS? My feelings here, outerwears for the air filter and axle extenders for the rears. Other then that, not much really... I see so many people droping huge change on aftermarket, that you could have bought a back up and have been running longer.

Come on people lets not scare new people into thinking that you get the new toy, and now you have to spend mad cash to make it into something.

The truth is in stock form you should be very happy with the way it is. The outerwears are needed if running in dusty or fine sand, axle extenders are needed if you plan on doing hard cornering.

If axle extenders and outerwears are all you need why would you need a back up? I was just pointing out the fact that if you want to get crazy (like me) then the baja is great for you. There is lots of stuff to swap out or hop up. I love it.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:06 PM
FastEddy

IMO,
Aftermarket support is one of the things hat helps drive sales of the 5B, not scare people away.
The consumer wants choice and everyday their choices for 5B aftermarket products grows.

Case and point.
Traxxas T-Maxx. Sales were slow when it first came out. As more and more aftermarket parts became available so people could personalize it the sales went through the roof and made it the all time best selling RC ever made. In some respects it started a revolution in RC aftermarket products for all RCs.

Tell me if Im wrong but ONE of the first thing people do when deciding what RC to get is to see what is available for aftermarket and factory hopups. We are lucky enough to have a solid platform like the 5B to start with that needs very little out of the box. (Un-like the T-Maxx) but again, I believe that the more thats available for the 5B will help the sales and popularity of the rig grow.

Another case and point.
Baja 5B is the fastest selling 5th scale on the market Again IMO due to the availability of aftermarket and factory products. Now Ill ad into the equasion the FGs. I do believe that if the aftermarket support for them was as broad as the 5B it would be a much better seller.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I don't disagree with any of that Eddy, I personally believe that the biggest factor in the HPI Baja's success is the fact that it's made by HPI, a very popular company. Ask everybody on RCU who's heard of HPI, and who's heard of FG, I think you'll find 100% of respondees will know HPI, and maybe 25% know FG. HPI deserve a lot of gratitude for taking the plunge and popularising the big classes. In general large scale RC is having a growth spurt that's never been seen before. Largely, I believe, thanks to HPI.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Dave ESPI

ORIGINAL: vertigo performance

It would only be a clone if the parts came from China right Dave? LOL!!!

HAHAHA...

EXACTLY !

Old 01-28-2008, 01:58 PM
FastEddy

Foxy,
100% true......
But, if there was no after market support would it be AS popular?

I believe that the after market community has added fuel to the fire to help create and / or foster the explosion we are seeing. The explosion in 5th scale is directly related to the 5B and the cottage industry that has created itself around HPIs product.

The FGs and other 5th scales have been around for a long time and gained very little after market support. So yes, the name, reputation, quality, and distribution channels of HPI has brought the 5th scale off road market main stream.

A giant thanks to HPI for having the cajonies to step up to the plate and take the risks involved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.