Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

DDM Side Mount Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:07 AM
csp1971

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default DDM Side Mount Pipe

Well, I finally pulled off the X-Can and installed the DDM side mount. Haven't run it yet....it'll probably be another week. I love the "bazooka" look of it! Pretty easy to mount to the chassis for an idiot like me, only two holes to drill!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: DDM Side Mount Pipe

At one time I had decided that this wasn't the pipe for me, cos I believed it looked ridiculous too high up above the chassis, but these pics here that you've posted have changed my mind, especially that bottom one. Looks like a transformer in 'car mode' and the pipe's the gun! It just goes to show that viewing angle is everything. I agree it looks very cool actually. Thanks for that!
Old 01-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the bolt on the end of the silencer it looks like a Browning M1917:

Old 01-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Monsterman--HBF
My Feedback: (28)

Real great pictures of thie pipe mounted up! Has changed my mind as well just have to check to make sure I can afford it
Nice Baja btw..

Chris
Old 01-28-2008, 10:47 AM
csp1971

ORIGINAL: Lunar Wolf

With the bolt on the end of the silencer it looks like a Browning M1917:

LOL! Love it!
Old 01-28-2008, 02:06 PM
FastEddy
My Feedback: (1)

I thought the same before I got mine.
The cool thing is that if you roll the 5B over at no point will the pipe make contact with the ground.
Im sure if the impact is hard enough it will but looks are deceiving. The mounting position isn't as venerable as it looks.
I have one on my Orange show truck. The pipe looks better when the body is mounted.

CSP,
NICE RIG!!

Old 01-28-2008, 02:22 PM
hathi
Banned

lets see the clearance, Im not disagreeing with anyone... but it does look close.

Could some please post a picture of the buggy on its lid, so that we can see that the pipe does not hit.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:00 PM
hellya

heres a pipe for $100 not all nice and shinney but its a proven tunepipe its an alernative to a $200 pipe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67916.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	863738  
Old 01-28-2008, 04:04 PM
hellya

heres another DDM pipe.....this one is just silly and cost $250

Name:	Sq46925.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	863739  
Old 01-28-2008, 04:05 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: hellya

heres a pipe for $100 not all nice and shinney but its a proven tunepipe its an alernative to a $200 pipe

What pipe is that?????

Is that the same tuned pipe I had on one of my firehammers back in the day?
Old 01-28-2008, 04:19 PM
hellya

thats Hobby techs new and improved Genuine M. Mielke

http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/lsh...f_offroad,.htm

the same company/person made this pipe

http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/lsh...,,y0088,,,.htm

Could probably use a FG offroad tuned pipe also

Name:	He97327.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	863745  
Old 01-28-2008, 04:37 PM
csp1971

I only paid $160 and didn't have to order from good ol' Deutchland.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:40 PM
csp1971

From what I hear, this one is pretty nice. I won't pay over what DDM charges for a DDM tuned pipe, but if (and that's a HUGE if) I was going to, I'd probably get that one by GBE.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:54 PM
hellya

the FG sports line tuned pipe is the same pipe as I pitcured above.... only $114 here in the USA..

only diff no built in muffler ( which restricts exhuast air flow alittle means alittle less H.P.) and no chrome plating

http://www.largescalerc.com/Tunedpipes.html

Name:	Bz77188.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	863762  
Old 01-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

The pipe is made by Gabe Brown Engineering not DDM. Its reputed to be the finest pipe on the market hence the price. Everyone who owns one will testify to its qualtiy - the welds and chrome work are all top notch and the power through out the engines RPM range is awesome - atleast thats what everyone who's tried it has said - i've yet to read a complaint.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:51 PM
hathi
Banned

The pipe is made by Gabe Brown Engineering not DDM. Its reputed to be the finest pipe on the market hence the price. Everyone who owns one will testify to its qualtiy - the welds and chrome work are all top notch and the power through out the engines RPM range is awesome - atleast thats what everyone who's tried it has said - i've yet to read a complaint.
I've only seen complaints on this pipe by people that dont run it!
Old 01-28-2008, 06:10 PM
wan6176

wait till ur car flip...& ur exhaust will scratch dent etc...for me i still prefer hpi tune pipe mounted at rear exhaust.even ur car fly turn flip dosent hurt ur exhaust.exhaust is important.once dented..the sound will change so does ur speed. n performance.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:44 PM
csp1971

ORIGINAL: wan6176

wait till ur car flip...& ur exhaust will scratch dent etc...for me i still prefer hpi tune pipe mounted at rear exhaust.even ur car fly turn flip dosent hurt ur exhaust.exhaust is important.once dented..the sound will change so does ur speed. n performance.
HPI pipes are FAR from perfect, they can bend, dent, etc. The only one that is safe from abuse is the X-Can. Do some research and spell checking before you post comments. [:@]
Old 01-28-2008, 07:12 PM
hellya

I know that....i ment DDM is going to carry/sell these pipes http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product2190.html

I was just suggesting using a proven FG pipe thats inexpensive would be a good idea for alot of people
Old 01-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

ORIGINAL: wan6176

lol you make me laugh...

...while the HPI pipe is okay(ish) its far from invulnerable, it can melt, the welds have been found to be poor, its still vulnerable to a tail landing and once bent its pretty much scrap unlike a steel pipe that can be heated and bend back. As for its performance, i've seen dynos that suggest it barely outperforms the stock tincan, the pipe is too short to be a true tuned pipe imo, it trys to be but the compromise of having it rear mounted and within the rollcage was just too much for even HPI to pull off.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 PM
badz

HPI pipe cost $80....GBE $250....I'd sooner bend a $80 pipe than a $250 pipe...All side mount pipes are going to get damaged pretty easily. As far as rear mounts and rear landings bending them, I haven't seen that yet, unless you're talking about the early Jetpro pipes. Side mounts might be great for onroad but I doubt they'll last offroad very long....as far as the sides of the buggy never hitting anything....don't see how thats figured cause the sides hit all the time...not to mention 2 pounds hanging off the side of the buggy....plus 130+ degrees of heat around adjustment screws and brake adjustments...lots of burnt finger action happening there..

either way I wouldn't pay $250 for any rc pipe...a pipe from FMF for my KX500 only cost $175 and is 20 times the size
Old 01-28-2008, 09:54 PM
csp1971

ORIGINAL: badz

HPI pipe cost $80....GBE $250....I'd sooner bend a $80 pipe than a $250 pipe...All side mount pipes are going to get damaged pretty easily. As far as rear mounts and rear landings bending them, I haven't seen that yet, unless you're talking about the early Jetpro pipes. Side mounts might be great for onroad but I doubt they'll last offroad very long....as far as the sides of the buggy never hitting anything....don't see how thats figured cause the sides hit all the time...not to mention 2 pounds hanging off the side of the buggy....plus 130+ degrees of heat around adjustment screws and brake adjustments...lots of burnt finger action happening there..

either way I wouldn't pay $250 for any rc pipe...a pipe from FMF for my KX500 only cost $175 and is 20 times the size

Come on Badz.....you DON'T really know now do you? Have you owned one? I have heard of the TGN side mounts getting dinged. Since the GBE and the DDM side mount pipes are very new, why not wait and see what happens with these before popping off an opinion that is of no "real" value yet? You, me and everyone else knows that anything can get damaged, except of course for the X-Can.

If mine gets damaged, I'll be the first to let everyone know.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:31 AM
splcrazy

i have the DDM sidemount also but its not mounted on my baja5b , its just lying around somewhere lol, i took it off to mount on the DDM rear mount pipe the FD120 , to mount the DDM sidemount to the head those bolts take ages to bolt up to the head
Old 01-29-2008, 03:50 AM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

ORIGINAL: badz

And bend it will - its not just the issue of the HPI pipes strength, it just dosn't perform.

You say all side mount pips are going to get damaged pretty easy - can you back that up with a photo or account posted by another user? CSP said the only one that has been proven to be vulnerable is the TGN pipe, no one that i have ever seen has reported any incidents with any of the other side mounts. The GBE pipe will not get dinged from bashing, it sits too low between the rollcage and wheels for that, the only thing that might hurt it is getting T-Boned during a race by another car - and theres a video of a GBE taking a T-Bone on Youtube with no damage.

There are absolutly loads of pics of damaged rearmounts - DDM's, TGN's, HPI's & JetPro's, to make a statement that you haven't seen a damaged one suggests you surf these forums with your eyes closed.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:21 AM
badz

Lunar Wolf , I honestly don't care how good that pipe is, for the cost it should start the buggy on it's own. It's a tiny pipe 1/20th the size of a dirt bike pipe yet it costs more. Talk about just outright over charging for a item..GBE is doing that.

The DDM Sidemount is priced within reason, but come on here $250 for a RC pipe, thats just insane. Sure hope they don't plan on selling many at that price.

As far as no pictures of it being bent up, well nobody wants to pay $250 for a pipe thats why.

Anyhow the thread is about the DDM Sidemount pipe, not GBE's overpriced pipe.

I personally don't like the look of the sidemount pipes but if I was going to buy one I sure wouldn't spend $250 on it. FMF will make me a custom pipe for that price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.