Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Servo problem..?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:17 AM
joish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo problem..?

Hello, this is my first post here...I have just recently bought a 23cc unleaded 1/5 scale car and aparently the servo isn't working right on it as it does not centre itself after turning left or right. I was wondering if i was to replace it, is there any specific servo i need to buy or will any do? I am only new to all this as this is my first unleaded RC car, as much advice as you can would be fantastic please.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:20 AM
Nathan9492

Default RE: Servo problem..?

Which servo is it for?
Steering or Throttle?
Old 01-29-2008, 06:23 AM
tom111

Hi joish,

Welcome[sm=teeth_smile.gif]
What does the servo do after turning right or left, is it stuck in the same side you turned to? Or is it tries to go to the center but it just stop in the middle and does not go all the way to the center?

Old 01-29-2008, 06:34 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since multiplex is well supported in the UK, you'd do well to just pick yourself up a Multiplex Rhino Digi 4. That's what I run in my FG monster, and it's great, very strong and very fast. Here's a link to an online store in the uk. The alloy arm is optional, I say don't bother, many other say to use it. In my opinion, it transfers shock to the servo, where the plastic arm will either bend or break, saving the servo.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.ph...xtString=rhino

This is a 1/4 scale steering servo by the way, large type. If you mean a standard size (small) servo, for the throttle, then let me know.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:56 AM
joish

emm..ok, after turning left or right it doesn't go all the way back to centre, so i would say it tries to go back but it can't. It's the steering servo. I think =s
Old 01-29-2008, 06:59 AM
Foxy

Sure sounds like it. But what if you disconnect the servo horn from the servo? Is the steering movement nice and free? If so, then yes, it's the servo. Check my post above for a high quality replacement.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:11 AM
joish

ok, sounds good, it'll probably be the one i'll go for, i'll save up some money then I might buy it next week, i think i found a cheaper one though on http://64.22.81.218/~trasa/index.php...17b8c6c2dee857 as the postage to where i live is only £3.50. Thanks for all your help, i'll let you know how i get on.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:26 AM
joish

You see when i replace the steering servo, is there anything to it? or just unscrew a couple of things and a straight swap? Do i need any tools? Thanks again
Old 01-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Foxy

Straight swap, shouldn't be a problem. Before you fit the servo horn though, make sure to plug the servo into the receiver, set the trim on the TX to center and turn the car on, this will center the servo ready for installation. What model car is this by the way?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:50 AM
joish

I don't think it is any make as the seller didn't seem to know much about it, it is here... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=009
Old 01-29-2008, 08:02 AM
Foxy

lol. McLaren. It's a Mercedes CLK GTR. Anyway, I assume we are talking about that central steering servo sticking up? If so, then yes, the multiplex is exactly what you need. Not sure what that car is myself, either, but looks ok. No doubt someone on here can identify it for you (old FG I think?? Or maybe clone). Anyway, looks like you picked it up for a nice price if it's only the servo that's the problem. Congrats!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:02 AM
joish

Regarding the servo, does it matter if it has been used? or would you say i need a new one? Thanks again
Old 01-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Foxy

I would always recommend a new one. You can never know how worn the gears are in a second hand one before you buy.

Ps. Please don't post any more ebay links. I won't delete them now, cos you are illustrating a point (I won't complain if you edit the post and remove them yourself though), and you are new, but normally they are not allowed, except under exceptional circumstances (a good example of which would be as above, where I asked you what car, and you showed me the auction. That's OK, but those servo links are not, as they are not necessary in order to ask the question). Just FYI. No problem.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:12 AM
joish

ok, thanks, i might try and get that one then

edited = done
Old 02-08-2008, 06:23 PM
joish

Hello again i want to make a purchase for a steering servo and i think £60 is too much for me at the moment and i would l would prefer something a little cheaper =) Has anyone got any recomendations?
Old 02-09-2008, 06:23 AM
Foxy

Hitec HS805BB.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:06 AM
tizdaz

i would honestly save the extra few £ & get the multiplex mate. I use mpex for steering too. Do you really want to cut corners on your radio gear! :P ?

As for the swap over, as others have said matey, pretty straight forawrd although the connectors maybe different so you might need a converter etc.

keep us posted asnywayz m8 & g/l :-)