Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:16 PM
nothinbetr2do

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheelies

hi guys, just me again. i've had my hpi baja 5b ss for like 2 weeks now, and have been running it alot. MAN I LOVE THIS THING. but anyway, i've not seen it even try to wheelie(and i've seen videos of baja's wheeling). so, it runs great. no bogging or anything. i just wondering what i can do, to make it wheelie. i've seen alot of different head kits and such for motor up grades, but this is my first one and i have no idea what will fit. it's a stock 26cc, is that enough motor to wheelie? i'm pretty sure my tune is close, so i don't think it's that. so if you guys can give me some ideas on what i should do, and what motor hop-ups that will fit that would be great. thanks alot. p.s. i already put badlands on the rear, for more grip. they are better than stock. but still no wheelies. i also put a medium x-port on the exhaust for more low end. thanks guys
Old 02-08-2008, 01:19 AM
splcrazy

Default RE: Wheelies

lol dude , to get it to wheelie it needs a hell of alot of mods like mine . but if you want it to wheelie you will have to make some mods but depends how much you willing to spend ,
so you have a stock 26cc , this is what i would get if i had your baja and wanted it to make it wheelie without spending too much , get the rear phatdaddy shock brace then get rear heavy duty springs from ramtech i think the company is ? they are the red type put them on and then turn the thing on the shocks to make the spring even more stiffer , then buy the super torque spur and pinion gears combo , but you do need a better exhaust , for a simple cheap yet still powerfull get the hpi tuned pipe ,also install the red 8000 rpm clutch spring . get all this from DDM , davesmotors.com

the baja5b will wheelie but first couple of times when youve first started it when its still cold , and then when it warms up it will tame it self down a bit and will not wheelie as much.

when making your order put ddm in the coupon code area for a 5% discount
Old 02-08-2008, 03:25 AM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

No need for buying loads of stuff just yet. My mate just got done with his SS, all he's added was a rear mount DDM and when the traction is good and the wheels hook-up (not spin) then it wheelies. Once you have enough torque it becomes a question of traction and throttle control.

Using the 8000rpm clutch spring that your Baja already came with remove the clutch and reverse it so it engages trailing edge first, this will reduce clutch slippage and make the bite between the clutch bell & shoes more agressive.

Also increase the preload on your existing shock setup so the tail of the baja sits higher, this will also make the springs feel harder. You don't need a new shock brace, the one that comes with the SS is quite good and its only worth changing if it ever gets damaged, until then a new shock brace will not help it to wheelie.

The CY26 your engine came with is pretty decent, but a good tuned pipe will be a good investment regardless of whether you want wheelies or not. Go for a decent midrange pipe, this will give you the greatest satisfaction and balance between top end and torque. My reccomendation is a sidemount like the GBE or DDM if your on a budget.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:53 AM
nothinbetr2do

thanks guys for your help. another question, i have been seeing different head kits. what do they do, and witch ones will fit the hpi baja ss 26 cc motor? thanks again
Old 02-08-2008, 12:14 PM
wannagofaster

DDM has all sorts of head kits for the baja. Most of them fit your engine. If you want to make sure if they fit or not just look under the description of the engine and it should say if it fits or not. Heres a link. [link]http://www.davesmotors.com/store/rcheadkits.html[/link]
Old 02-08-2008, 07:17 PM
nothinbetr2do

alright, so i just look for stuff that says 26cc chung yang. that's the stock motor, thanks