Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

finally, new baja ss owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:25 PM
blackrain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finally, new baja ss owner

well after a long wait, its finally in my possesion are there any tips i might need to know before my build. i will be using red locktite on the driveline. Something tells me my allen drivers that i use on my nitros may not fit any of the screws on this
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58156.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	873401  
Old 02-08-2008, 07:45 PM
nothinbetr2do

Default RE: finally, new baja ss owner

follow the directions, take your time, only open the bags as you need them, and have fun. also your right the smaller allens won't work, but they give you ones that will and some other cool tools.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:31 PM
blackrain

could some one tell me whats the estimated build time on the kit. im considering pulling a all nighter ill probably start building at 11:00 tonight
Old 02-09-2008, 12:26 AM
mmduc

depends if you have built a kit before. i really took my time, spent a few hours a day on my baja ss, and it took me about a week. i was told an expericanced builder can do it in about 15 hours. average guy about 20 hours. be careful with the red lock tight. take your time, and go step by step. mine came out awesome. ive run it about 6 times. theres nothin better. good luck and have fun.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:58 AM
DIABLOTAC78

ive heard someone did it in 8 hours only, if you are organize and can follow instruction you will do it faster. before you build it make sure you read the manual and watch the team fasteddy toturial vid. good luck and have fun with the build
Old 02-09-2008, 12:59 PM
NitroVette

Personally I wouldn't rush it, no matter how experienced you are a rush job is a hack job. When I built my HPI Proceed a while back I took my time and spent a few hours a night over a week. Many of my adjustments were made using a caliper for the suspension so the front and rear track and alignment were perfect. The results were worth it, I knew the only way to extract optimum performance was for the drive line and suspension to be smooth and precise. The car is scary fast and handles like it's on rails.

I am planning on getting a 5b SS in the next few weeks and will enjoy building it. Large scale cars need extra attention to detail to avoid catastrophic damage from loose fasteners and more importantly for safety. Take your time and the buggy will come out great, and it will stay together.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:55 PM
blackrain

well i finally finished my baja ss build took about 18 hours much longer than a lot of the nitro kits i have done. i cant wait to get some hopups, will be getting the outer wears pull start cover and fiolter cover next.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:03 AM
blackrain

what receiver battery do you guys recomend and are there any other up grades i might need to consider before i do my break in
Old 02-12-2008, 03:18 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HPI's 3000mAh 'hop up' Baja battery is more than enough, but some people build their own packs from 4000 cells, depends whether you want longer run times, but longer charging, a balance (like me), or shorter run times, and very quick charging (if racing).

PS You wanna find somewhere to tuck that fuel line in that's poking out of the windshield.

As for other upgrades... a good failsafe and some axle extenders and you're set, everything else is break and upgrade.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:34 AM
kurtmeyer
Banned

i like your baja......
Old 02-12-2008, 01:10 PM
mmduc

yes, the fuel lines run under the air filter . there are some small fuel line clips that come with the kit that hold them in place
Old 02-12-2008, 05:07 PM
blackrain

I think i will build my own pack i ordered the red neck filter and outerwears filter cover and pull start cover. I still need to run the fuel line properly and install a throttle servo hopefully by friday. my local hobby shop has the dark soul axle extenders i will get those in the next few weeks. i have seen pics of stock bead lock rings in different colors were can i find this?
Old 02-12-2008, 05:10 PM
nothinbetr2do

this is a great place to get baja parts from http://www.davesmotors.com/index.htm
Old 02-12-2008, 05:38 PM
blackrain

Man thanks for that link, they have like everything i could possibly want all in one store. the white bead lock rings would anyone know if you can dye them?
Old 02-13-2008, 05:33 PM
mmduc

the other thing i noticed is your outer bead lock rings are backwards. the deeper ones belong on the rear tires.