Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL Discussion for the Pros and Cons of Clones in the Market

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

OFFICIAL Discussion for the Pros and Cons of Clones in the Market

Old 02-13-2008, 07:14 PM
NitroBurn1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL Discussion for the Pros and Cons of Clones in the Market

With out the clones I would not be the owner of a 1/5 scale. I didn't want to spend $1000 or more on an rc that I didn't know if I would like. Now that I have experienced how much fun 1/5 rc is, I am sure that I'll be buying another one in the future, probably when more new designs start coming out.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:28 PM
hellya

Forgot to mention They have a 4x4 conversion kit for the FG clones (hammer traveller ect) for $350 plus shipping

http://www.kamitiro.de/iv3/cms?SID=H...nc=show&id=327

Get a traveller for $300-500.... seen um on ebay for $400 ..........so $750-850 you got a 4x4
Old 02-13-2008, 08:10 PM
fourwheeler

Ok now it is time for me to chime in

Foxy if this is the least bit objectionable just edit what you feel is necessary ok?

Ok the subject is clones, as they relate to the hobby in general. I can understand the fact that some people just getting into the hobby or someone just without the financial means to pay for a "name brand" car might be tempted to buy a clone but here is the thing and I have said it before. If we people here as serious RC hobbiests don't object and hold these companies to a high standard then we will be eventually be playing with one car that is designed by one company and cloned. The only difference will be the body shell. Demand fuels the hobby and if we demand better cars and support those companies that support our needs the cars we see will continue to get better and better. If we just go out and put our money down on anything that runs then that is what we will get. I for one want to see innovation and exclusivity in the market. If you want an FG MT then great go get one, FG makes them. If you want an HPI Baja that is great too, guess who makes those? HPI of course. If we support these companies they will continue to develop the kinds of cars we dream of.

I won't even get into the fact that it is stealing from another person who put the work into developing the car in the first place. And let's not forget the fact that these companies are exactly that, people. People that are developing products and cars for our hobby. People that bring us the cars we want to buy. Oh sure they are making money off of the cars but that is what pays salaries and the R+D costs of new products. So if you buy a clone you are in fact taking away the money that would have generated some part of something new to play with.

Ok end of my rant, I will get off my soap box now. Thanks for reading and enjoy the discussion.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:20 PM
clubin

Well said fourwheeler. My thoughts exactly.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:20 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha I remember that pic, though I don't remember whos it is. I think I called it "Scrambled egg... w/ FGMT" at the time.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:29 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: fourwheeler

Ok now it is time for me to chime in

Foxy if this is the least bit objectionable just edit what you feel is necessary ok?

Ok the subject is clones, as they relate to the hobby in general. I can understand the fact that some people just getting into the hobby or someone just without the financial means to pay for a "name brand" car might be tempted to buy a clone but here is the thing and I have said it before. If we people here as serious RC hobbiests don't object and hold these companies to a high standard then we will be eventually be playing with one car that is designed by one company and cloned. The only difference will be the body shell. Demand fuels the hobby and if we demand better cars and support those companies that support our needs the cars we see will continue to get better and better. If we just go out and put our money down on anything that runs then that is what we will get. I for one want to see innovation and exclusivity in the market. If you want an FG MT then great go get one, FG makes them. If you want an HPI Baja that is great too, guess who makes those? HPI of course. If we support these companies they will continue to develop the kinds of cars we dream of.

I won't even get into the fact that it is stealing from another person who put the work into developing the car in the first place. And let's not forget the fact that these companies are exactly that, people. People that are developing products and cars for our hobby. People that bring us the cars we want to buy. Oh sure they are making money off of the cars but that is what pays salaries and the R+D costs of new products. So if you buy a clone you are in fact taking away the money that would have generated some part of something new to play with.

Ok end of my rant, I will get off my soap box now. Thanks for reading and enjoy the discussion.

Good points......but look around the hooby is not getting smaller becuase of the clones....its expanding a hell of alot....when I started in this hobby there was only FG and their clones ....look around now..... there are so many different 1/5 vehicles the hobby is expanding by leaps and bounds..

There are more 4x4 1/5 vehicles now to choose from then there were 1/5 vehicles 3-4 years ago

EVERYONE SAY THANKS FG for starting all this fun in 1/5
Old 02-13-2008, 08:41 PM
mradlin

Thanks FG!!
Old 02-13-2008, 08:57 PM
clubin

Thanks FG.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:21 PM
No Moa
My Feedback: (1)

lol
Old 02-13-2008, 09:27 PM
pwaicon

I don’t feel these companies making the clones are going to severely impact the sales of the original manufactures. Like others have been saying, the people buying these clones would have probably never bought the name brand cars in the first place. They don’t want to spend that much on a car not knowing if they are going to like it. It also seems that most of the replacement parts are going to come from the name brand manufacture, I would think the replacement parts have a higher profit margin then the vehicles anyways. I bought a Smartech Big Foot, which from what I have been told is a clone of the FG, because I wanted to try a gasser and I now own an MCD Baja 1000. I would have never purchased the Baja 1000 had I not tried the Smartech and enjoyed it has much as I did. As far as R&D goes and innovation, I believe the Smartech Titan is new from the ground up (by the way this will be my next vehicle). So, even the companies that start out making clones can contribute to the hobby with new designs. These are just my thoughts and if anything I have said is incorrect please forgive me, I am only human.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:52 PM
fourwheeler

I agree that the large scale market has more vehicles to choose from now but alot of those are clones. If those companies had put the effort in to developing a unique vehicle look at all the unique choices we would have right now.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Dave ESPI

ORIGINAL: hellya

OUCH........Thats a $600 repair job[] Driver error??? No failsafe or malfunction of???

Zigged when you should have zagged???

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_68..._1/key_/tm.htm

PS: THANKS FG!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:53 PM
NitroBurn1

Forgot to mention They have a 4x4 conversion kit for the FG clones (hammer traveller ect) for $350 plus shipping

http://www.kamitiro.de/iv3/cms?SID=H...nc=show&id=327

Get a traveller for $300-500.... seen um on ebay for $400 ..........so $750-850 you got a 4x4
Has anyone here tried or seen one of these? I might get one for my spider if I could see a bigger picture.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:20 PM
dawolf

Demand fuels the hobby and if we demand better cars and support those companies that support our needs the cars we see will continue to get better and better. If we just go out and put our money down on anything that runs then that is what we will get. I for one want to see innovation and exclusivity in the market.
I agree 100% in that we demand better cars and that this demand fuels the hobby. I feel though that the competition created by the clones gets the big companies off their butts to create something new. OK I love the Baja, but how long has it been out now without any new 1/5th intros or new updates etc. (OK the SS). If clone companies keep the pressure out there the "innovator" companies should rise based on their new designs, competitive prices etc.

Look at IPODs. Every electronic company in the world including the mighty Microsoft is out there trying to make a product that can come close to their market dominance. And some models out there are even better with more features. But what Apple does is come out with a new IPOD model with new features every year at least. If there was no pressure on them to do this then there would be no good reason for them to spend money to create new innovations, we would just keep buying the same old IPOD.

If you ask me companies like HPI do not reinvest enough back into R&D and they have not been as innovative as they could be. The only way to demand that creativity and innovation is to speak up by saying ok this is great work, nice design, what else do you got thats fresh and new, because if you don't have anything, I'll buy a cloned version of your product for half price and so will most everyone else.

If a product such as the Baja is selling so well and there is such a demand out there that someone is willing to invest into running off clones, then we need to see new models or major improvements every year at a minimum. Exclusivity I feel can cause complacency.

I own an HPI Baja and I love mine, would not trade it for anything. As a matter of fact I love it so much I want another one just to hop up and totally personalize, but cannot justify another $1000 US to get one. Instead I will spend $550 US for a clone. I really wish though HPI came out with a Baja 6b RTR with a 27.5 ported, and maybe a new color or choice of colors, maybe different style rims and tires, and just a few hop ups. And all this for right around the same price as I paid for my Baja 5b. A change like that would not cost them much at all, and a guy like me would be likely to go for it. Keep it fresh or eventually when someone finds out your recipe, and they will, I will save money and buy elsewhere.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:36 AM
hellya

ORIGINAL: NitroBurn1

Has anyone here tried or seen one of these? I might get one for my spider if I could see a bigger picture.

Heres a kit installed on a clone
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53690.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	878251  
Old 02-14-2008, 04:55 AM
iexion

<EDIT: Foxy: Ebay links removed. READ THE FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD!>
X2 edit. "screw it"
Old 02-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Dave ESPI

ok, here is a BENEFIT

One is steel, comes 4 per set. (I used one )
One is Aluminum, comes 2 per set.

I like the steel presently. I can crank those grub screws down a bit tighter and use red loctite on it.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Johnnysplits

HOLY TRAINWRECK BATMAN!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Bluebrew

If hellya should stop back to this zone,I have a question. I don't presently have a Marder of any type available for view. Was your FireHammer the same as the FG product, or the same only different? I ask because I think Duratrax did it the honest way. But I'm still curious if they're the same or different.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:52 PM
clubin

the firehammer can be bought from http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXGMP7**&P=ML

OR on ebay you can get deals there New $600-800

Parts switch out with the FG alloy no problem clutch bell pinion,motor mounts & the rear diff internal gears from FG dont
Bluebrew here, this is what you were asking about.

From my understanding FG was the original and DURATRAX copied the FG and changed it a little.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Bluebrew

Oh yeah absolutely FG was the originater. I was wondering if FG sold Duratrax a lot of units to rebadge, or allowed Duratrax to make their own licsenced copy? My point is legit "clones" don't bother me, it's the "make a quick buck rip-offs" that bother me.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:22 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

The Firehammer..... is the same as XTM, Carson Attack, Smartech Traveller and the Spider are all the same clone from different manufactures .......and FG parts work on all of them!!!
Yes they do.....I had 2 firehammers and now down too 1 firehammer and a BAJA and not ashamed of it either, I bought most of my HOP-UPS from HELLYA
Old 02-17-2008, 04:31 PM
aceoffroad

I bought a new Firehammer a couple weeks ago. I am new to this forum and kinda new to RC's. My question is Im thinking of buying another 1/5 scale truck. Clone or no clone. Which do you guys think is the best on the market. High price or clone? I see a Titan is $1500 shipped or so. Any thought from you Pro's out there? Dont get me wrong i am happy with my Firehammer but im buying another for me and letting my girlfriend drive the firehammer which i paid $675 on ebay. Just wondering what everone likes, Clones or Not.

Also thinks to you guys im having a blast on here and on the track.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:05 PM
rchertz

like everything in life!!!
you get what you pay for!
its that simple,,,
no heat please flames etc,,,,
you buy a ford you get a ford,
you buy a bmw,merc,audi,
you get quality,and them some,
i no,,
clones are there for people with funds that allow for that product simple as,(not a bad thing)
the badge means everything
but,in the long run you will pay
in more ways than one[:@]
Old 02-17-2008, 06:18 PM
No Moa

Mostly true, but ive got some cheap POS cars that have been better than my brand new 07. So its not so most all of the time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.