Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL Discussion for the Pros and Cons of Clones in the Market

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

OFFICIAL Discussion for the Pros and Cons of Clones in the Market

Old 02-17-2008, 07:37 PM
aceoffroad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL Discussion for the Pros and Cons of Clones in the Market

Rchertz,

I agree,I actually didnt know my Firehammer was a clone. Till i started reading here. So let me ask you guys a question, What is the best nonclone on the market. I know there a bunch od answers out there, But if im gonna spend a couple grand on a toy i would like to know what toy to get. Clone or non-clone. I would buy another firehammer truck, But i have seen other more exspensive truck out there. Matter fact why dodnt you just tell me which trucks you guys like? Clones or not. I have only owned one 1/5 scale truck and its been good so far, bad servo, but thats it. 5 tanks of gas and im happy. So no complaints here.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By far the most popular are the HPI Baja 5b and the FG range (the originals which your firehammer is based on). PErsonally I have one of each, a Baja and an FG Monster Truck.

www.fgmodellsport.com
Old 02-17-2008, 08:12 PM
No Moa
My Feedback: (1)

I'll second that. I have a couple bajas, an FG ST and an MCD.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:47 PM
rologti

I was wondering the following.....

(If someone feels hurt or think's that something should be written here..let me know and i'll edit it)

I remember that my granfather (a very special and important person in my life) was a big fan of the manufacturing quality of the germans, and he didn't like the japanese industry....these told me my mother, that was what he think's in the erly 70's (i was born in the 78)....now why he think that...because the german stuff cameras in this case, last for ever....and the japanese industry...pick all the great german cameras, copy them, and sold them for less than the half of the german one.....that's how nikon and other brands born....after that...they start developing their own cameras, and now, the german ones has desapear...why, because the japanese make better and chaper....

After....arround 85, i remember that my granfather bought a presicion tool...the brand...mitutoyo....now, about 23 years after...that tool is mine and it still works as new....

My thoughts....my granfather saw how start the cloning industry...and he didn't like it....but 15 yeras after...he saw the results, and the results were a better product...and he starts buying the good stuff of the japanese industry....what happend to the german industry...really i don't know....i don't know in what (if it exists) is Leica now (maybe it's still exists because my camera is a Panasonic with a leica lens....now that's funny)...

The same happend with the automotive industry....and this is my opinion...the best quality in a long term is the japanese indsutry, the japanese cars last for ever (but i have a VW, citroen and a trooper made in japan, the best quality...the tropper)....now something funny..arround 1979 the japanese bought the "almirante latorre"...the biggest battle ship that chile had had why???...for making cars...why???...because nobody sold them steal because they were looking what the japanses were doing with the automotive industry (i can say they were clever)

If i think in the ethic side of the coin....maybe they were wrong, maybe they were right....now we can see that all is made in china...or there is the chinese version of all....i know the case of some bags louis vutton (or something like that), the brand ask a factory to made a few of them, and they made it, then, they do about 10.000 of them, but with another brand and sold them of 1/100 of the price....what was that???....the economic laws of supply and demand always win...and in the long term the big mases of people defines what and who is the winner....

Ok...that's it...just thoughts....btw...nice thread to talk about things like this
Old 02-18-2008, 12:29 AM
dawolf

Well said rologti. the bottom line is that competition, no matter what form it takes, is always good for the consumer. And ultimately the consumer will go towards the best value, not necessarily the highest quality at a premium price. I remember the days when German made meant top quality and top dollar. The Japanese and Koreans found a niche in the auto and electronics the price wars began. Great for consumer.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:16 AM
hellya

Well ....Ive added to my collection I bought a baja clone for $555 plus shipping

I now own a FG monster truck, FG sportsline, Firehammer, Baja clone........the 4x4 buggy is next
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86659.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	883712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56543.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	883713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30617.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	883714  
Old 02-20-2008, 08:36 AM
No Moa

ORIGINAL: hellya

Well ....Ive added to my collection I bought a baja clone for $555 plus shipping

Boy ur azz is in trouble now!!!! ROFL!!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 08:40 AM
dawolf

Helya is this the kingmotors clone? How was your transaction and how long did it take to arrive after payment? Also what do you think of the clone quality wise since you have both to compare side by side. Any good close up pic you can share? Thanks man and good luck. Have fun "christening" the new ride.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:33 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: dawolf

Helya is this the kingmotors clone? How was your transaction and how long did it take to arrive after payment? Also what do you think of the clone quality wise since you have both to compare side by side. Any good close up pic you can share? Thanks man and good luck. Have fun "christening" the new ride.
just won it off flea bay this last weekend.......its in stock...... they say 10-12 working days for shipping......checked with other owners and almost all the hopups for the baja 5 original work.....I wiil find out what fits and what doesnt.....with the $2-300 I saved it will go to the hopups...the buggy being shipped from a dealer in Canada

Do a eaby search for 1/5 buggy you will see the Baja clones they are selling anywhere from $550-650 plus shipping

I watched 2 sell last yesterday for $620...and they are looking for dealers
Old 02-21-2008, 04:49 PM
HammerdownRC

I have 5 of them coming next week.. FYI...
Old 02-21-2008, 06:40 PM
No Moa

ORIGINAL: HammerdownRC

I have 5 of them coming next week.. FYI...

Wow, 5 your going to have fun for all of those.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Coopz

I've had my MCD clone for a few months, no complaints. Upgraded the radio and throttle/brake servo but other than that for $500 it is great fun
Old 02-21-2008, 09:50 PM
snoking16

well since i am in the market for a baja 5b i either want to go used or get a new cloned version. i do support clones. the ones that are exact and are just as good as the originals. it just means whoever "cloned" it cared about who they were selling them to. i dont care for the knock off brands that just throw some stuff together with plastic and alloy that is not of good quality.

as of now im leaning more towards a new clone like hellya did.

and so far im proud of you guys not getting all crazy in this thread like the last one. and thanks foxy for starting it up again and moderating the crap out of it.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:07 PM
HammerdownRC

Coopz... Where did you get your clone?
Old 02-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Coopz

Fleabay
Old 02-22-2008, 11:10 PM
dawolf

Yea coopz is that clone pretty close to the MCD parts wise? Have you had a chance to compare them side by side? Can you PM me the Fleabay vendor?
That thang looks killer.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:23 PM
hellya

ebay austrailia .... search for 1/5 buggy you will see.........its oversizerc

He has the Titian 4x4 for the same price as the MCD clone buggy 999 Aussy ($920 US)
but watch out No Free shipping for the titan try $330 US[X(]

Heres that 4x4 buggy....might be alittle less shipping for the buggy...ITS FREE....cost $920 US Delivered

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-1-5-Scale...QQcmdZViewItem

This dealer is a drop shipper... meaning he doesnt have stock on hand.... he orders direct from China... they deliver it to you 2-4 weeks usually ...a good way to do business as long as your supplier is Good
Old 02-24-2008, 03:57 AM
Zonk

My brother has a HPI Baja clone, can't see much difference when it's sitting next to mine, mine seems to start easier and has a bit more speed though but thats probably more of a tuning issue.
Seen I paid $1300 and he paid $600au he's the one laughing...

Broken the dam thing more times than I want to remember...
Old 02-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Bluebrew

Buying a clone is like a stab in the back to the legitimate manufacturers who have made large investments to further the hobby we enjoy. In most countries of the world this copycat behavior would never happen because it's ILLEGAL to STEAL someone else's work and sell it as your own. Intellectual property and the written and spoken word are also protected. But because most of this activety happens in China, for some reason nothing can be done about it. I see a lot of "brand loyalty" bickering in forums, but it all goes out the window where price is conscerned and those thieves know it. Those with the "I want it now and I want it cheap" mentallity are their targets and they don't even need to aim! There are those who say competition is good for the industry and I agree. Problem is that this isn't competition, it's thievary and cancerous and every clone purchase does damage to the hobby.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:29 PM
No Moa

Damages the hobby? I disagree, it puts the cheap ones in the hands of those who can afford the big money cars, and when they realize the love largescale, they will purchase the non clones for their next one, and continue to upgrade. My $.02 anyway!
Old 02-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

I don't mind people bashing the clones, their manufacturers or their buyers, but if the're going to do it then they better make sure the're not using CY engines in their 'original genuine' RC's since those are clones as well. And your PC better be an IBM as well!
Old 02-24-2008, 02:13 PM
No Moa

LOL!!!
Old 02-24-2008, 02:46 PM
hellya

Buying a clone is like a stab in the back to the legitimate manufacturers who have made large investments to further the hobby we enjoy. In most countries of the world this copycat behavior would never happen because it's ILLEGAL to STEAL someone else's work and sell it as your own. Intellectual property and the written and spoken word are also protected. But because most of this activety happens in China, for some reason nothing can be done about it. I see a lot of "brand loyalty" bickering in forums, but it all goes out the window where price is conscerned and those thieves know it. Those with the "I want it now and I want it cheap" mentallity are their targets and they don't even need to aim! There are those who say competition is good for the industry and I agree. Problem is that this isn't competition, it's thievary and cancerous and every clone purchase does damage to the hobby

Like I said before.......Ford invented the automobile.............all other are clones????? Dang copycats

All the automotive choices definatly damaged that industry........

Where do you think the baja5 comes from the same place the baja clone does.....[:-]

hobbystores/dealers should carry a wide varity of products from lowend to highend ......clones, originals all makes and models that have good support.... only makes good business sense.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:39 PM
dawolf

ORIGINAL: Bluebrew

......... But because most of this activety happens in China, for some reason nothing can be done about it. .....

The reason that this happens so much in China is because companies in their quest for the cheapest manufacturing go to these Chinese manufacturing firms to get the cheapest possible rates for production. They are looking to maximize profits and the cost of this often includes getting cloned. Any company that goes into the Chinese manufacturing game knows this all too well, and if they do not wel that is ignorance. Once again, HPI is not sitting around crying that they are being cloned, as a matter of fact I can guarantee that cloning causes just the opposite effect. It stirs up Brand recognition and creates a sort of brand credibility among the masses. I don't know about you, but I kind of feel if a company is worthy of being cloned and copied, they must be onto something, must be a solid brand.

My sister and her friends used to buy knock-off purses when they were in her early 20's and could not afford the real thing. Now in their mid 30s my sister has a room (No exaggeration easily over 25 at last count) full of designer name brand hand bags each of which costs more than twice what any RC car or even 2 Cars. Her friends are right there too. they got hooked on the brand by buying knock off when thats all they could afford. And when they had the $$ bought the real deal, and lots of it.

Its a fact, that cloning happens, and when it does, its a good thing for everyone.

$.02 more
Old 02-24-2008, 09:45 PM
No Moa

I agree, other than your sig pic, pissin on the pats COME ON!!!!!! ROFL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.