Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL Discussion for the Pros and Cons of Clones in the Market

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

OFFICIAL Discussion for the Pros and Cons of Clones in the Market

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 11:51 PM
dawolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL Discussion for the Pros and Cons of Clones in the Market

ORIGINAL: No Moa

I agree, other than your sig pic, pissin on the pats COME ON!!!!!! ROFL
I get alot of flack about that from you NE guys....I just got so much crap about how the Giants had no chance and after that win, It does not go away quick!

Hey your boys finished with the best record and most wins ever!

:-)
Old 02-25-2008, 07:28 AM
No Moa
My Feedback: (1)

I actually don't like them, i don't watch football at all, my ex wife is the huge pats fan. I just thought i'd give ya some crap!! LOL
Old 02-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright guys, lets keep this on topic. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:20 AM
dawolf

getting back on topic, how many other (we obvously know about the baja) fifth scalers have been cloned (marder firehammer etc) and were these clones identical, or close to identical with parts compatibility. And does anyone own one or ever owned one?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All the MCDs except the Baja 1000 have clones by FS racing, and they've even expanded on MCDs design, producing a monster truck based on the MCD 4wd chassis. A few people here are waiting for their FS clones to arrive. I'm still not sure if I will wait for the MCD price to come down, or the reasonably priced MCD drift car to be released, or buy a clone and be done with it. I want a drifter, and I want to get it magazine featured, so I'm leaning toward buying the genuine article, though I may also buy a clone for messing about with, and so I can do some comparisons here.

The firehammer is a clone of the FG marder, there are several owners here who are happy with them.

King Motors has cloned the Baja 5b...what else is there............??

Um, hobbytech are clones of technokits aren't they? Sure I read that somewhere but may be wrong. Can't think of others right now.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:14 AM
hellya

Clones for days[X(] can you say cheap $$ per buggy when you order a 20 ft container
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81022.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	889008  
Old 03-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Bluebrew

Let me define "clone" as I see it. An authorised duplication( Firehammer) is NOT a clone, an unauthorised duplication IS a clone. The introduction of the Firehammer to the US market did worlds of good for the hobby. The flood of unauthorised knock offs are just underhanded tactics to make a quick buck. A lot of the posts I see in this thread and others appear to be justifications for jumping on the bandwagon. These fly-by-night shiesters are not valid competition they're crooks. To use hellyas' analogy(loosely speaking), Henry Ford makes the model A. Joe Olds sees this and builds his own improved version. Now Henry has competition. Joe Blow sees the model A and decides to make an exact copy, only he can sell it cheaper. Now Henry has a big problem.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:46 PM
clubin

ORIGINAL: Bluebrew

Joe Blow sees the model A and decides to make an exact copy, only he can sell it cheaper.
Well put, copying and selling cheaper with little or no after sales service.

I personaly would not buy a clone, I want a MCD, yes they are expensive, but a FS is not a MCD in any way.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:49 PM
zeen420
Banned

ORIGINAL: hellya

Clones for days[X(] can you say cheap $$ per buggy when you order a 20 ft container
LOL they all look they same as an HPI just no stickers...Anyone ever think about the factory where the make HPI also sells these just kind of a under the table deal??...
Old 03-01-2008, 03:17 PM
rckiwi

How can you say the Firehammer is not a "Clone" when it is made by Smartech for Duratrax! and it is Cloned from FG Marder!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 04:31 PM
No Moa

Its the way of the world! Support clones, don't support, its really irrelivant at this point. they are here and people are buying them.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:07 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: clubin

ORIGINAL: Bluebrew

Joe Blow sees the model A and decides to make an exact copy, only he can sell it cheaper.
Well put, copying and selling cheaper with little or no after sales service.

I personaly would not buy a clone, I want a MCD, yes they are expensive, but a FS is not a MCD in any way.
Clones..... the after market hopups and the origianl's replacemant parts work great.

Buy the FS and the MCD parts and hop-ups work ........buy a firehammer, spider. traveller. the FG parts work .......but the clone parts cost less and work on the FGs

You can buy a new FG and use the clones replacemant parts....... less $$$

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=DTXD97**&P=Z

Old 03-01-2008, 05:50 PM
RC-NUKE

I am not a big supporter of buying from cloning companies. However, it is a very cost-effective way to popularize and get more people to adopt RC hobby. When there are more people doing it, there will be more businesses offering related services to the benefit of all RC'ers (in/outdoor tracks and more LHS's so that we don't have to travel 50 miles for the closest LHS). And, what's more, the real competition brands will have better chances of winning competitions, as clones are not comp ready without upgrades. If a clone needs to be upgraded with FG/MCD/HPI parts for copetition, it would bring revenue for the original brands.

I own an FG Sportsline F1 which took nearly 3 months for delivery through LHS. My prime reason for FG was the German craftsmanship and quality of materials and build quality. I do not regret this purchase one bit. Having said that, I do have one concern.... It has been over 4 months now for my order of front cable brake set and Ferrari Decal set through a LHS. No parts yet. If there was a clone for this macine, I wouldn't mind getting these parts from them.

May be it will change management thinking of FG/MCD/ to provide faster and better parts and drop the prices (like BMW and Mercedes did, to compete with Japanese Lexus and Acura).

Even though I do not support commercial cloning or stealing intellectual property, it will no doubt contribute to the modellsport industry, consumer and the hobby in general to grow. As Ray pointed out, we may not be able to even affor a PC or a Laptop to write on this very forum, if IBM was the only computer costing $4000 with a green monochrome monitor!! After spending that much on the computer, majority on this forum and the hobby will hardly have any cash left to buy the Original Branded 1/5 scalers.....
Old 03-01-2008, 06:03 PM
W00KIE

Im in the middle of buying the baja x from Kingmotor, its probally as we speak in a shipping container steaming its way from china, I could have brought a Hpi product, I have 2 savages and a wheely king, i really want to be able to take it to bits and give a full review on its parts, As for customer service, i have the sales rep on MSN and have had several emails from them, always had a reply to a question within the day, I did a lot of resurch into the company before i sent my money. I know im taking a risk, as i have yet to see any thread regarding buying direct. But if it gets delivered and i get my baja for $555 dollars delivered, Then i have saved, If however i get ripped off, im sure the HPI pros amongst us will scoff.

I will like most spend twice the amount on hop ups and HPI parts, which is where these company makes most of its pure profit. And yes i hope these Chinese companies drive down the price of RC cars as the price for four wheels and a two stroke engine is IMO well over top.

As for some people saying the quality is no good, why arnt they listening to all the people that ACTUALY have these clones, who dont have a bad word to say about them, All cars break if you drive them hard enough.

These Chinese companies still have to buy the machines to make these parts they dont grow on trees, so they have a investment to produce a satisfactory product, that will last a little while, else no one will contiue to buy them.

When i recieve my Baja X, I wont lie, or cover up any defects. as i just want to produce some facts, Not just rumors and nit picking, if the product is rubbish ill let the WORLD know... lol

Regards
And can i just say that Ford did not invent the automobile, they however where the first to use mass production lines
Old 03-01-2008, 06:19 PM
snoking16

well thanks wookie...i have been trying to find a serious comparison between the 2. i just bought a baja 5b SS. i thought about the clone but i decided not to just because i wanted the 26cc engine, i cant wait to build it, and i have been wanting to get a nice radio for my truggy as well.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Big Boys Toys and Hobbies

I bet those HPI clones are made in the same factory. Look at them they are identical.

Chris
Old 03-01-2008, 06:24 PM
FGmyzer

ORIGINAL: W00KIE

And can i just say that Ford did not invent the automobile, they however where the first to use mass production lines
Very true. Nicolaus August Otto invented the gas motor engine in 1876

In 1885, Gottlieb Daimler invented a gas engine that allowed for a revolution in car design

Karl Benz was the German mechanical engineer who designed and in 1885 built the world's first practical automobile to be powered by an internal-combustion engine

Yes Germany invented the first Thats were the FG comes from too

6 years later America's first gasoline-powered automobile was the 1891 Lambert car invented by John W. Lambert

Duryea Brothers founded America's first company in 1896 to manufacture and sell gasoline-powered vehicles.

Henry Ford improved the assembly line for automobile manufacturing (Model-T),
He invented a transmission mechanism, and popularized the gas-powered automobile.

But all cars are still based on the same rolling wheel system

I love the clones for almost every 1/5 car there is a clone. Easy for the poor man to get into the hobby
Old 03-01-2008, 06:26 PM
W00KIE

If it all goes wromg ill cry abit then buy a Baja B5 ss to
Old 03-01-2008, 07:10 PM
clubin

ORIGINAL: W00KIE

If it all goes wromg ill cry abit then buy a Baja B5 ss to
ROFL isn't that the truth I admire your honesty.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:42 PM
jtnktz
My Feedback: (4)

For those who thing KM is a scam it is not. I will have proof by the end of this weekend when I get around to taking pictures of mine. I will also be distributing them here as well. I have about 10 on its way I was so impressed with them.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:16 AM
HammerdownRC

jtnktz is correct. King Motors is not a scam. I received 5 units last week. (5 days to receive by EMS) I speak to one of the sales reps daily on MSN IM. I'm getting ready to order another lot and have them shipped by sea to save money. Takes 25 to 30 days to arrive in US, but it averages out to around $13 shipping each. As for the quality, i do not see any reason why i would want to spend an extra $400 or so for the original. I have driven this thing hard and it keeps going. I did have to adjust the brake when i received it and the throttle got stuck on me in the very beginning. Once i adjusted the throttle trim, it works great now. The only other issue i had was the gas tank was not venting properly causing the motor to run lean. All i had to do was make the hole in the gas cap a little bigger so it would vent properly. All is great now and i continue to enjoy. Starts up on 2nd pull everytime. My rep tells me they are coming out with a tuned pipe shortly as well as the SS clone kit and the FG marder. June\July time frame.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:44 AM
rckiwi

I have been dealing with King Motors for sometime now they are always verygood to deal with.
As far as their clone of the Baja 5b, it is very close to it, with just a few things have been changed, rear diff output shafts are different size, but a complete HPI diff would fit striaght in, the shocks are non-adjustable in dampening. These are the main things I have found that are different. everything else seems to be the same. and all Gen HPI and all aftermarket parts fit.

I have several in stock at the moment, and as soon as I have time I will use one for taking vids of and also for up-grading with different things.

Cheers Bryan
Old 03-02-2008, 04:40 AM
W00KIE

[Takes a beep breath]

Thats good to hear guys. i feel slighty better now
Old 03-02-2008, 09:15 AM
htawfik3

All the MCDs except the Baja 1000 have clones by FS racing, and they've even expanded on MCDs design
Hi foxy,

please have a look today on FS web site they have new truck looks very close to MCD 1000, the picture showing the truck with many alloy parts, wheels and tires looks like HPI Baja. I think this models will show great demand.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:56 AM
JB in Fla

For me it's all about where the dollars go...

Help the home team...

Goes for RC, real life and beyond. For those who are tight on money do what you gotta do I'm not going to diss you (been there, done that). But at this stage in my life, I'm getting the real thing and not sending my money to some corrupt government... Ooops, politics, sorry that is a no no ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.