Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Opinions: 4wd or AWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Soloratov
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions: 4wd or AWD

Well, I am in the middle of manufacturing my driveline, and I have been wrestling with this question for some time. Should I make my truck 4wd, or AWD. The way it is designed, the difference in build is minimal, add a diff to the center main shaft. I am just looking for opinions on benefits of either over the other.
I do know the difference mechanically, just not sure which is better for me, so I leave it to the officials.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:10 PM
stempak

Default RE: Opinions: 4wd or AWD

Well, if it were a car obviously awd is much better than 4wd. But It may not make a difference on these? I would go ahead and do it
Old 02-21-2008, 09:02 AM
bsrman14
Banned

A new twist on a never ending topic that will never end.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Osirisf16

Sorry for the stupid question but...what is the AWD?
Old 02-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

google knows all.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:30 PM
tizdaz

tbh i cant see AWD being any useful on RC offroaders as its VERY simialr to 4WD anywayz & with the throttle/acceleration/power of RC's you wouldnt even notice the benefit :s ..just my opinion ofc

I'd stick wit 4WD.. simpler so less can go wrong & just as good imo
Old 02-21-2008, 01:32 PM
wan6176

awd = Always wheel drive

AWD = ALL WHEEL DRIVE
Old 02-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Johnnysplits

4WD/AWD same thing no?
Old 02-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Soloratov

AWD - Front tires spin at different speed around a corner than the rear tires.
4wd - Front & rear tires spin at same speed.

I will most likely stick with 4wd. Cheaper, less to break as pointed out. Pretty sure that while it is vewry large, it's still not big enough or fast enough to push the front. Just wondered since MCD's are AWD standard, and those are the differentials I am using.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:13 PM
brice_arnold
My Feedback: (6)

My custom 4x4 is setup as an AWD. At the time I didn't want to screw around with a third diff. I also have the fronts geared with a slight overdrive to the rears. It makes the handling interesting but I kinda like it. It seems to want to pull through the turns.

Another advantage of AWD is that if you but some part of your drive train (shaft, cup, diff, gear) more than likely you can keep going for the rest of the day.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Soloratov

Got any pics of your truck? Other than QS Berretta there is a shortage of people making there own. I hate to use the word steal, but I like seeing what other people have done to improve on my plan. Taken about as much as I can from the FG style vehicles, and don't have much to work from as far as the drivetrain goes. But, my MCD diffs should be arriving on Monday, so I can start working on the mounts for those and then I can connect them to my main shaft.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:14 PM
brice_arnold

I have posted pics before but here you go again. I have been putting alot of time into this truck lately. Just refining things as they pop up. I will be taking this out on Sunday so hopefully I will get some video

Old 02-21-2008, 06:20 PM
brice_arnold

This is another 4x4 amphibious vehicle that I made. You can check out all my pics at the following link

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k31/brice_arnold/

Old 02-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Soloratov

I remember that thing. Never actually saw the finished product. Truly amazing craftsmanship, and quite a unique idea. Thats the part about the custom built stuff I enjoy, the unique things people do.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:41 AM
bsrman14
Banned

ORIGINAL: Soloratov

AWD - Front tires spin at different speed around a corner than the rear tires.
4wd - Front & rear tires spin at same speed.

I will most likely stick with 4wd. Cheaper, less to break as pointed out. Pretty sure that while it is vewry large, it's still not big enough or fast enough to push the front. Just wondered since MCD's are AWD standard, and those are the differentials I am using.

Fales 4wd is the same as awd. Both drive units have diffs. Awd is labeled for cars and 4wd is for trucks. The 4wd you refer to is locked all tires spin the same. Good for rocks and is the cheapest to build.[sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 02-22-2008, 08:48 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always just used the terms interchangeably and made sure to specify how many diffs and of what kind
Old 02-22-2008, 12:50 PM
motors4fun

AWD is different then 4WD. In a 4wd setup any of the 4 wheels can recieve power from the engine. If you do not have a "posi" track type locker in the diffs then this is what you have. Many trucks are listed as 4WD and if you get stuck in the mud you see only one wheel on the back spinning and 1 in the front. Sometime there is posi unit in the rear and then basically you have 3 wheel drive!!! AWD is a 4 wheel drive system that splits power when needed to any of the 4 wheels. Or all 4 evenly if going in a straight line. This is done with either electronic controls in the transfer cases on exotic systems but in simpler systems another posi like setup is used within the transfer case and two axles.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Soloratov

Motors4fun did the best at explaining it. But, to end the debate, i have been using this site to research setups for suspension, driveline, and steering. This page is for driveline, and the lower half is all about diffs and the difference between 4wd, and AWD. As said before the 4 wheel is direct power from engine to the front and rear diffs. AWD, has a center diff, like in Subaru's or MCD's for R/C.

http://www.carbibles.com/transmission_bible.html

I guess technically, based on the research, in the R/C world, unless you buy the outrageously expensive viscous/torsen diffs and swap out the originals on an MCD, then you would have true AWD, but since they don't make viscous/torsen diffs for MCD, I will have some half breed of 4wd, and AWD. Eh, as long as it pulls well, and doesn't get stuck. Thats all i am looking for.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:48 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice link, interesting read.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Q.S.

Hey Solo,,,Well there are many types & designs out there, but a plain simple & cheap setup would be something like this, It's your call here buddy, but I think this type would be a good design for your setup, it would be very simple to build 2 inline reduction units place prior to the axle, this way you could simply change the ratio there and not need to remove the axle assembly,, Just a thought!! http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/reviewbj4we/page02.html