Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

GREASE OR TEFLON

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:07 AM
splcrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GREASE OR TEFLON

just wondering if anyone here puts grease or teflon spray on thier spur and pinion gears for thier baja5b , im thinking of putting on a new clutchbell tommorow and while i have it appart im thinking of putting grease or teflon spray on the spur and pinion , cos mine is dry and has nothing on it at the moment
Old 02-23-2008, 08:12 AM
clubin

Default RE: GREASE OR TEFLON

Don't put anything on it EVER. Putting any lubricant like grease on the gears attracts dirt-not good, as for a dry graphite spray, I wouldn't put it on there either, spraying it on the gears will make a terrable mess. The gears eventually wear out, so just replace them, the spur is cheap.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:10 PM
splcrazy

mine are the $80 super speed spur and pinion set , when i got my gears the spur was greased up with something ? darksoul racing should know what it is
Old 02-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Mudgy

Mate go down to your local CBC bearings place, and grab a can of CRC Dry Glide
It's a small can dark green mostly with a black cap
It's not cheap, but it works well
it's a PTFE spray
It DRIES; so dirt won't stick to your gear teeth
make sure they are CLEAN first
Old 02-23-2008, 06:28 PM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: Mudgy

Mate go down to your local CBC bearings place, and grab a can of CRC Dry Glide
It's a small can dark green mostly with a black cap
It's not cheap, but it works well
it's a PTFE spray
It DRIES; so dirt won't stick to your gear teeth
make sure they are CLEAN first
OK cool thanks mate , infact i was just at the CBC place yesterday getting bearings for the clutchbell lol and now tommorow ill go back thier anyway to get more of the same bearings cos i didnt realize the clutchbell bearings are same size for the wheels aswell and ill pick up that spray too
Old 02-24-2008, 12:00 PM
lt250dave

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

mine are the $80 super speed spur and pinion set , when i got my gears the spur was greased up with something ? darksoul racing should know what it is

most likely there was a light oil on the gears to prevent them from rusting during shipment and storage at the distributor. Personally, I would not run any type of oil on the spur and pinion.....I run the 18 tooth HPI pinion and stock spur and the pinion has wear marks on it and its being ran dry....as said before, if you add any type of lube to the gears its only going to attract more grime and destroy the gears quickly.

if you do try the Dri slide lube, be sure to let us know how it works
Old 03-01-2008, 09:14 PM
splcrazy

hey i got the CRC DRY GLIDE and hey this stuff WORKS , i cant belieive how super smooth and alot queiter the gears running now , the pinion and spur gear glide together as if they were bearings , i then also sprayed this stuff in my tranny gears in my revo3.3 , i opened up the revo3.3 trans and coated all the plastic gears , man o man does my revo3.3 fly now , there is ZERO gear noise and the speed has increased alot , this stuff is a must have now HIGHLY RECOMENDED , this stuff goes on wet and then quickly DRIES TO TOUCH leaving a durable invisible super DRY slippery surface that doesnt attract dirt or dust
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72627.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	892771  
Old 03-01-2008, 10:27 PM
wan6176

metal n metal tend to wear i just coat lightly..if doesnt want to attract dirt den cover the whole gear set with plastic bag then..baja tend to be dirty here n there.most to most jus change the gear if wear n tear occur.how long can these type of gear last?2-3yrs? wif weekly bashing? lol i rather fork out money buy new set.how much does it cost for spur n pinion? $1000 buck?if we can afford to buy 1 big baja,buying the part i guess wont be issue.having a baja is to prepare for upgrade unless u treasure ur baja so much..
Old 03-02-2008, 04:10 AM
Mudgy

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

hey i got the CRC DRY GLIDE and hey this stuff WORKS , i cant belieive how super smooth and alot queiter the gears running now , the pinion and spur gear glide together as if they were bearings , i then also sprayed this stuff in my tranny gears in my revo3.3 , i opened up the revo3.3 trans and coated all the plastic gears , man o man does my revo3.3 fly now , there is ZERO gear noise and the speed has increased alot , this stuff is a must have now HIGHLY RECOMENDED , this stuff goes on wet and then quickly DRIES TO TOUCH leaving a durable invisible super DRY slippery surface that doesnt attract dirt or dust

Hello mate,

I thought you'd find that stuff useful!!!!
Old 03-02-2008, 05:05 AM
splcrazy

yep thanks , for letting me know about this stuff , im gonna try it on my saw blades for work too , that CBC place has everything