Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Custom 1/5 build. FWD Scion XB

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:32 PM
terra2nv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom 1/5 build. FWD Scion XB

I build custom RC's for detail, proportion, scale and realism. Not for racing. I like building nitro rc's using hardshell detailed bodys lifted off toy cars and trucks.

I build my chassis using alum machine bent to specs, etc. My current project is a Scion XB lifted off a toy. its about the size of 1/6th.

Basically building a chassis around the body. More aesthetics and realism than function , altho, i will be running a .46 nitro motor.

Need your guys input as far as how i should run this. complicated but doable. Heres the deal..

Using 5th scale parts, im designing this chassis but handling wise, need to decide if i will make it Front wheel drive or Rear wheel drive. The motor will be under the hood, so when the hood is open, the motor is revealed.

I either want to do FWD, with motor transveresely mounted, or rwd, with a long driveshaft going to the rear.

What i need is your advise as far as handling and actualy making the project run good. Im afraid, rwd will tend to spin out a lot.

Engine will be upfront regardless, accesories will be spred out. FWD or RWD??

Update: 4/6/08
Complete rear suspension with brakes done, front brakes done, steering done, Front grill done, need to design a front suspension springs, etc. remember this is a FWD project .46 motor transverse mounted. All parts are FG parts.
front u joints done...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29718.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	906922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89576.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	906923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67959.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	906924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39473.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	906925  
Old 03-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Custom 1/5 build. FWD or RWD, need input

RWD will be more difficult to control than front, but in the hands of a good driver, should translate to better lap times. However, as you say, you build scale models, I'm guessing these are not for the rigours of track racing. Given the scale nature of the models, if I were you, I would go for whatever drivetrain the real car you are modelling uses. RWD or FWD will work fine for having fun. If the importance is scale realism, go with whichever you feel adds value to the car. They will definitely be more driveable with FWD though. Considered a 4wd possibility? That car pictured, in 4wd doing drifts, would make the drifting guys (there's a drifitng forum here on RCU, very busy), go NUTS. DO IT!! I'd love to see a proper model scale drifter.

PS. That car pictured is awesome, beautiful work, very impressive.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:01 PM
terra2nv

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Im leaning towards FWD, only because, the short wheelbase and weight upfront will make the car spin out a lot. my last build was a f150 front engine rwd, it could barely go froward, would spin out, i want it to at least go fast . As far as drifting,i thought about making a drifter out of it but im afraid it would spin outmore than drift. the front wheels will be narrow since its inside the body and needs room to it wont hit the fender.
Also, i did want to run FWD , transverse mounted engine too to replicate the realism of the real car.

with that in mind, you think front narrow track , engine weight at front, it can drift at all??
Old 03-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: terra2nv

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Im leaning towards FWD, only because, the short wheelbase and weight upfront will make the car spin out a lot. my last build was a f150 front engine rwd, it could barely go froward, would spin out, i want it to at least go fast . As far as drifting,i thought about making a drifter out of it but im afraid it would spin outmore than drift. the front wheels will be narrow since its inside the body and needs room to it wont hit the fender.
Also, i did want to run FWD , transverse mounted engine too to replicate the realism of the real car.

with that in mind, you think front narrow track , engine weight at front, it can drift at all??
For RC drifting, it HAS to be 4wd, unless you are the God of RC driving. As long as it's 4wd you can make a drfter out of it, even if all the weight is at the front, it should be fine, you can compensate for this using different tires/suspension settings anyway, to make it drift in a balanced way.

I don't think you'd have any troubles making it a drifter, APART from a successful and reliable 4wd drivetrain of course.

Heck, make this one FWD, then build a 4wd RX8 for drifting, and make it look like the one below. I challenge you...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61835.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	906956  
Old 03-18-2008, 07:07 PM
da mad maori

gotta love a challenge. that scion xb looks awesome good luck

its good to know that there are some rc car guys not concerned about spending $$$ to shave 0.0003 seconds off there lap time.
if your concern about engine weight in front ,just put all your electrics, fuel tank, batts etc at the very back..... should even out nicely... a .32 motor aint that heavy

Ryan
Old 04-06-2008, 11:11 PM
terra2nv

Update on custom build...
Old 04-07-2008, 12:44 AM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Custom 1/5 build. FWD Scion XB

it looks like you could reverse the rear axles (bolts) for a cleaner look...
Old 04-07-2008, 01:11 AM
terra2nv

Default RE: Custom 1/5 build. FWD Scion XB

thanks, the axles are made of 8mm bolts, i will cut n shorten them later. all is just for fitment for now.
biggest hurdle is still fabricating a mount for differential and gears working etc