Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

King Motors Baja Review with pictures

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

King Motors Baja Review with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:39 PM
niko64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: King Motors Baja Review with pictures

yes i still have to say,rings need to break in.mechanic/technician for 26 years.owned many 2 stroke dirt bikes,tecate 250 trikes,250 quadracers.edge of rings needs to wear to cylinder bore.once broken in yes lubrication is key for longevity.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:29 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: niko64

yes i still have to say,rings need to break in.mechanic/technician for 26 years.owned many 2 stroke dirt bikes,tecate 250 trikes,250 quadracers.edge of rings needs to wear to cylinder bore.once broken in yes lubrication is key for longevity.
Yes rings do seat with synthetic oils, and will have less heat in the process, and a longer running motor..
to many myths about synthetics that some still want to believe...
so for the past several years things could have been better for you "why am i not using it?who sells synthetic 2 stroke? "
I've been involved with synthetic oils for over 20 years, they work..

so what I'm saying is it is ok to use synthetic oil for break in, on these motors
Old 09-24-2009, 09:16 AM
KeithjV

Synthetic 2 stroke oil should be available in just about every motorcycle shop.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Johnnysplits

I use redline 2 stroke racing oil.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:26 AM
srt10

ORIGINAL: Johnnysplits

I use redline 2 stroke racing oil.
I've heard really good things about Redline oils!
every month I get a news letter about oil performance from lab testing and I think Redline had really good results..
Old 09-24-2009, 09:46 AM
strtzpmp

hey guys been lookin over the forum for a little while reviewing and obtaining info for my future purchase in feb of my first 1/5 rc....had plenty of nitros and always wanted a huge rc 1/5 or bigger.....i wish they made a 1/3 or 1/2 that would be awesome! but anyways i want the t1000 and i was wondering if you think the price may reduce by then...i dont wanna have to buy the 001 and then the conversion becuase all the good stuff is in the t1000 already and it would cost about the same....i dont want to spend a 1000 on a rc and have it break on me...dont got the kind of money to wipe myself with. i just love the trucklook and cant see why they dont make a truck thats the same price of the 001...dont care for the hop ups if i got it the same price, but if i absolutley have to get the t1000 then so be it anything i should change on it when i first get it? is the engine any good or will it shortly give out? i kinda just want to drive it around, no huge jumps or race tracks....maybe some speed runs up my road and flat grass soccer field....or should i just deal with the buggy if it doesnt have those problems? i just want to drive not replace replace replace
Old 09-24-2009, 10:49 AM
ronin8451
My Feedback: (6)

Most ALL engine manufacturers recommend standard petroleum oil for engine break in, not synthetic. Synthetic is just that much more slippery and will take much longer to "wear in" components. I have built MANY full-sized 700+ HP v-8's for drag and dirt racing and you will not get the rings to seat properly to build full HP with synthetic oils ! I have also built lots of dirt bikes and same goes for them and all of my 50CC gasser airplanes also. There is a reason you are supposed to get a new engine in your car's oil changed after 500 miles, it was filled with petroleum oil for proper ring seating and will be replaced with synthetic.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Bowerz

ORIGINAL: ronin8451

There is a reason you are supposed to get a new engine in your car's oil changed after 500 miles, it was filled with petroleum oil for proper ring seating and will be replaced with synthetic.
As an owner of a car dealership, i can say that you have misunderstood something there. Firstly, its after 3 months or 5,000 miles, and secondly, in this 5,000 mile service, the oil is not changed. The car is just checked for weeping, commonly loose components, and a general all-around
Old 09-24-2009, 11:31 AM
ronin8451
My Feedback: (6)

As for in the UK, I have no idea why you would drive around so long with the break-in metal particles floating around in your oil...not a dealer I would go to( you might ask Edd China what he recommends). Why would most of the leading Synthetic oil manufacturers the make ... GASP ... a petroleum based engine break-in oil high in Zinc ? Check out a few of the following links ( some may be controversial on break-in methods, but ALL say NO Synthetic for ring seal on a new engine ! ) :

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48993
http://www.royalpurple.com/breakin-oil.html
http://www.enginesonly.com/break-in.html no mention of synthetic oil as ok for break-in
http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm Quote " Use high quality, low viscosity oil (Valvoline 30 weight), no synthetics, too slippery. If synthetics are used during initial break in the rings are sure to glaze over. "
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Category_Code= Mineral oil based, not synthetic !
And finally , a letter from Royal Purple :
"The standard RP Motor Oils or our RP XPR Series of oils have 3-4 times more load carrying ability than other oils both conventional or synthetic, whether street or racing oils as well as other oils containing high amounts of ZDDP.

RP’s Break-In Oil is not an over-additized product over our street oil – it is actually a formulation so that the engine’s piston rings can readily scuff and seat as compared to our standard products with Synerlec which imparts 400% greater oil film strength. The Break-in Oil is for newly assembled engines that require piston ring seating but need an oil that can protect lat tappet cam setups.

Using a ‘break-in’ oil or an antiwear supplement loaded with high dosages of ash producing additives on a constant routine basis is forgetting about what happened to engines from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s where excessive valve deposits and stuck piston rings were quite common place. Those hard scaly tannish brown deposits on exhaust valves were caused by oil with high amounts of metallic ash additives leaving deposits – so overloading your oil with those components on a continual basis will lead to premature engine wear – particularly in the valve and ring area.

RP’s Break-in oil contains a stout antiwear additive package sufficient to protect most flat tappet cam engines and non-flat tappet cam engine applications for up to 2500 miles. We use a mineral base stock as most users believe that synthetic base stocks will not allow engines to break in (how does GM, Ford, and Chrysler factory fill then?). We also remove our proprietary advanced additive system Synerlec again to allow the piston rings to seat.

If your engine is in such a state that you do not require the rings to seat (say just installing a new cam setup), then we would recommend using the RP 10W40, RP 15W40 or one of our XPR Series of oils.

Thanks again for the question and hopefully – you’re using RP in your flat tappet engines. Once the rings seat – we recommend going to the appropriate RP Motor Oil as soon as possible for additional protection.

Sincerely,

David

David Canitz

Tech Services

Royal Purple Inc."

Nuff said !
Old 09-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Bowerz

By "changed" i mean't the type of oil. As you said, there will be metal particals floating around in the oil.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:49 PM
niko64

i have the 002 buggy,looks like im ready to pull the trigger for the truck,really like it.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:33 PM
johnnyone

Most ALL engine manufacturers recommend standard petroleum oil for engine break in, not synthetic. Synthetic is just that much more slippery and will take much longer to "wear in" components. I have built MANY full-sized 700+ HP v-8's for drag and dirt racing and you will not get the rings to seat properly to build full HP with synthetic oils ! I have also built lots of dirt bikes and same goes for them and all of my 50CC gasser airplanes also. There is a reason you are supposed to get a new engine in your car's oil changed after 500 miles, it was filled with petroleum oil for proper ring seating and will be replaced with synthetic.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:35 PM
johnnyone

Hi All,
I'm new to your group and have read all your pages for the past months.You have convinced me to beat the cp out of this engine after I change it.

I'm kind of a guy that does the unthinkable with things, I'm old school hot rodder and have raced many years anything I could get my hands on. I started flying helicopters only to find out it was not my calling I destroyed everyone until a friend got me into nitro's. But nitro's are not big enough for me so I'm getting a gas job, Elite version of the KSRC-001 Baja manufactured by King Motor Sport, which comes with the upgraded chrome chassis. As if the chrome is going to make it go.

To my point, How many of you have used real gas in these engines, like 120 octane real leaded gas, and how many of you just mix real 30 wt motor oil with it?

The reason I say this is because I have had every weed wiper engine one person could buy, all running still after 20 years. I have never had one fail using straight motor oil, but I did have them fail using the 2 cycle oil that I think is all B****S. One more point, the gas we get today is cut with ethanol and it does not burn right and runes the bearings and other part's

I did notice the inside pictures of this bad boy engine which I would do some machining on to fix that upper bearing. I have my own ideas on this and I think I'm going to make my own using the wrist pin that comes with it.  I will post picture of this when I'm done, look at the nitro engines might give you some ideas. Had this happen to me on motorcycles across the desert with two stroke engines they fly apart when the top bearing fails and your stuck 100 miles out but not using straight 30wt motor oil in the mix. I would just carry an extra plug with me and change it if I needed too. I also think it's all about how much lubrication you get in the bearings at high RPM's. Also looks like the diffs get way to hot and do not lubricate correctly either. So I will be adding a zinc compound we use in the older Chevy and ford engines to protect the cam shaft. I will also post all of this to this group.

As for me I'm going to run this motor to death to see what the problems are with it. I just hate to be running my models and have them break or loose a race that way. The radio I can deal with as I do electronics engineering for a living and I know it's coming with an FM radio atlas that is what the add on E-Bay said, Heath Boy $499.00.

Also if the bottom crank bearing,are failing it is not getting enough lubrication, make that puppy smoke it wont hurt it, as long as you see blue smoke it's getting oil, smoke up that field I will almost bet that motor will run 200 tanks of gas. after all it just a normal 2 stroke engine. But anyway you know where I'm at with my altitude only here to help if I can with the hobbie. Your all a nice group of people must wait to get the car first.
Johnnyone old school
Old 09-24-2009, 10:05 PM
strtzpmp

well i made up my mind and my gf thinks i should also go with the t1000 from danic94...im so glad im gunna get my truck from such a reliable person on ebay!!!! i cant wait until febuary!!!!!! so let meknow how the t1000 is and i will make sure i will purchase it from you.. i just hope more thi9ngs are added/ or the priced reduced by then if not oh well if it performs as well and handles as much as the hpi 5t i will have to much grattitude i wouldnt know what to do with....thank god for km i wouldnt be able to afford a good 1/5 if it werent for them or danic for bringin them closer to me aswell....oh man i wish it was feb right now!!!! i just hope the engine holds up goodi cant really afford a new engine if i spend my money unless it goes within the first 2 weeks i get it.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:13 PM
srt10

As for in the UK, I have no idea why you would drive around so long with the break-in metal particles floating around in your oil...not a dealer I would go to( you might ask Edd China what he recommends). Why would most of the leading Synthetic oil manufacturers the make ... GASP ... a petroleum based engine break-in oil high in Zinc ? Check out a few of the following links ( some may be controversial on break-in methods, but ALL say NO Synthetic for ring seal on a new engine ! ) :

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48993
http://www.royalpurple.com/breakin-oil.html
http://www.enginesonly.com/break-in.html no mention of synthetic oil as ok for break-in
http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm Quote '' Use high quality, low viscosity oil (Valvoline 30 weight), no synthetics, too slippery. If synthetics are used during initial break in the rings are sure to glaze over. ''
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Category_Code= Mineral oil based, not synthetic !
And finally , a letter from Royal Purple :
''The standard RP Motor Oils or our RP XPR Series of oils have 3-4 times more load carrying ability than other oils both conventional or synthetic, whether street or racing oils as well as other oils containing high amounts of ZDDP.

RP’s Break-In Oil is not an over-additized product over our street oil – it is actually a formulation so that the engine’s piston rings can readily scuff and seat as compared to our standard products with Synerlec which imparts 400% greater oil film strength. The Break-in Oil is for newly assembled engines that require piston ring seating but need an oil that can protect lat tappet cam setups.

Using a ‘break-in’ oil or an antiwear supplement loaded with high dosages of ash producing additives on a constant routine basis is forgetting about what happened to engines from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s where excessive valve deposits and stuck piston rings were quite common place. Those hard scaly tannish brown deposits on exhaust valves were caused by oil with high amounts of metallic ash additives leaving deposits – so overloading your oil with those components on a continual basis will lead to premature engine wear – particularly in the valve and ring area.

RP’s Break-in oil contains a stout antiwear additive package sufficient to protect most flat tappet cam engines and non-flat tappet cam engine applications for up to 2500 miles. We use a mineral base stock as most users believe that synthetic base stocks will not allow engines to break in (how does GM, Ford, and Chrysler factory fill then?). We also remove our proprietary advanced additive system Synerlec again to allow the piston rings to seat.

If your engine is in such a state that you do not require the rings to seat (say just installing a new cam setup), then we would recommend using the RP 10W40, RP 15W40 or one of our XPR Series of oils.

Thanks again for the question and hopefully – you’re using RP in your flat tappet engines. Once the rings seat – we recommend going to the appropriate RP Motor Oil as soon as possible for additional protection.

Sincerely,

David

David Canitz

Tech Services

Royal Purple Inc.''

Nuff said !
fact, no Royal Purple products are certified to current ILSAC specifications.
http://www.imakenews.com/eletra/mod_...PM&uid=bdgDHkp
written in 2009
Not to get into any arguements, because that's not what RCU is about..
there is a lot of miss information out there on the web
one of the articles above is from 1995 (old school)
and all of them are on 4 stroke motors that run at much lower rpms.. 3-4,000 rpm vs 12-16,000 rpm
keep in mind that our buggies with the 8k clutch do not even move untill the motor is around 8,000 rpm..
And when we peg the motor and hit the speeds we can get out of our buggies these motors are at 14 to 16,000 rpm
The single ring will seat within the first tank using synthetic oil
Every Gas racer (rc boats) that I know in my area run synthetic 2 stroke oil from the first start up, and not one issue with their motors..

With these high reving engines my choice is not to use petroleum based oil.. That's the way I run!
yes you can use synthetic oils to break in these little high reving motors just fine
Talk with Tony at Warehouse hobbies..
Old 09-24-2009, 11:47 PM
badd_maxx.25

every one that does boats that i know use petroleum oil in their motors for 4-5 tanks
Old 09-24-2009, 11:49 PM
srt10

they must go slower than my friends! lol
and much slower during the first 4 to 5 tanks LOL
Old 09-25-2009, 12:23 AM
johnnyone

ORIGINAL: 93octane

I have been building and racing 2 strokes for 25+ years and have found that a short breakin with petroleum based oil THEN a switch to pure synthetic yielded a better running and longer lasting engine when mixed properly, these small 2 stroke engines really rev out and need a proper breakin and a high quality 2 stroke oil to stay alive, they arent weed wackers! they are far better!

Octane93,
I do agree with you as I also have built many 2 stroke engines and +700 hp drag engines, you do give some good advise here on this little motor.
I will be making mods to the top bearing and possibly re-doing the crank. I just might use beryllium copper for the upper bearing and re drilling the main rod for lubrication, have done it many times in the past.
If I find I do not like the rod I will forge one myself, it's been a long time for me 40+ years but I will make this puppy go and it will smoke the field up. I was at ace hardware today and they have a weedwhacker engine that is very close to this engine .
Don't you just hate it when race guys get involved. I have built all kind of model engines with my machines at work, I might even do a 4 stroke for this baby. But I just want you to know you are correct about break in and lubrication in the first 30 hrs. I'm also going to use a zinc compound in mine for the diff gears.
I also will run 120 octane leaded fuel with 30wt oiljust for kicks the purple gas. My motto is if it ant smokin it ant running.
I have never been one for synthetic oil in a 2 stroke it's just not the same with the new fuels with ethanol.
Johnnyone old School.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:10 AM
johnnyone

No arguments here guy's this is just what I'm going to do as I have always done this. I'm not even going to run this engine in the car, I'm going to bench test it first and give the results to you all. Hopefully we can learn how to make it bullet proof. I just hate paying $500 to have it blow on the third tank of fuel. This whole group of people talked me into making this investment by the comments and problems with this little motor. I can put up with the rest, but if you have no power plant you have no car. This is not a trailer queen for me I'm going to run the CPoo out of it after I test the engine full blast. I could just go buy a CY or a Zen but it would not be any fun to do that. I want to know why this bugger has so many problems and then fix them, hopefully to help all of you with what I find. I have RC nitro cars almost as big as this Baja and they don't blow up so why should this after 3 tanks of fule.
Johnnyone
Old 09-25-2009, 03:42 AM
TACTICAL_RASTA

does anybody know where i could find purple anodised Darksould beadlocks exactly like this?
i have been searching on googleand ebay for a while now,and although i have foundshops that sell these beadlocks, they dont actually have anodisedpurple.

here

and

i think they look a bit pinky in these pictures and id rather the kmbaja be blue/black but i cant re-anodize the pureple to blueso ill stick this purple and black theme.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:45 PM
KeithjV

That actually looks pretty sharp like that.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:43 PM
TACTICAL_RASTA

yea i think so too. i found the same Darksoul beadlocks but in a different colour

There is alot of pics but take a look at this stealth baja

Warning!! BAJA PORN!

:P

Baja p0rn

Alot of pics i know, but i would go as far to say this is a10/10 absolutely sick!

im definately thinking of a black and blue theme, there is a bloke i mentioned earlier who custom paints baja bodys and sells them, thy look like this..

too many ideas!I feel a KMbaja Project coming..
Old 09-25-2009, 06:57 PM
KeithjV

Nice, thats an impressive set up. What kind of pipe is that? Is it more for show or does it actually boost the power too?
Old 09-25-2009, 07:41 PM
strtzpmp

i think thats a dominator with a silencer....could be mistaken
Old 09-25-2009, 08:20 PM
niko64

alright,how do you keep a buggy so clean?not use it.my buggy is always dirty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.