Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

King Motors Baja Review with pictures

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

King Motors Baja Review with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 01:40 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: King Motors Baja Review with pictures

ORIGINAL: beckiesbajas

coleman fuel 50 octain these engines like 92 octain and up, its your choice, i would run premium fuel and you km baja will do wheelies

I want to stay away from the smell of gas in my house, if at all possible
I've read around page 36 that the colman fuel runs as good as 91-92 octane gas but without the smell
but no comments about break in with this fuel...?
Old 01-06-2009, 01:43 AM
benckiesbajas

well dont store you baja in the house and use what eva fuel you baja engine needs
Old 01-07-2009, 10:55 PM
hotrodlincoln886

what would be the minimum ounce servo i could put in a baja
Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 PM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

just get this servo: http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.2548/.f

it will take a little modding of the radio box to fit. also, you will ned to dremel one side of the alloy servo horn off.

update on my baja:

i bought and installed my new hitec 5745 sero and i am VERY impressed with it. it has more torque AND more speed then the stock servo. i modded it to fit and it's working great. i got it after hearing that most people use that servo in their bajas (real and clone) once the stock one is finished. i didn't get a chance to run my baja yet, but tomorrow, i'm going bashing. [>:]

i still need to install my new rear shock tower brace that i need screws for. (the baja ss comes with the needed screws and if you have the rtr or KM baja, you have to get the screws seperate. i will hopefully get the needed screws tomorrow. Also, the choke lever i bought doesn't seem to fit on my baja. isn't it supposed to just slide right on?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:31 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

The one you posted has 249oz torque on 6 volts the stock one in the SS has 347oz torque on 6 volts. The one you listed is only .01 faster.

Stock servo
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMZD2&P=Z
The one you posted
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.2548/.f
Check the specifications.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:44 AM
speedy.d

can any one tell me what the inner diameter of the rampage mt tire is thanks
Old 01-08-2009, 02:52 AM
benckiesbajas

ORIGINAL: hotrodlincoln886

what would be the minimum ounce servo i could put in a baja

Old 01-08-2009, 06:15 AM
rckiwi

ORIGINAL: 46u

The one you posted has 249oz torque on 6 volts the stock one in the SS has 347oz torque on 6 volts. The one you listed is only .01 faster.

Stock servo
The one you posted
Yeah the spec's say one thing but in real life they don't seem to match what it says! The Hitec 5745MG servo is full metal gear and digital, is a far better servo then the stock HPI one! Only now since the 5T they are full metal gear!
Old 01-08-2009, 08:09 AM
lords

ORIGINAL: rckiwi

ORIGINAL: 46u

Stock servo
The one you posted
Yeah the spec's say one thing but in real life they don't seem to match what it says! The Hitec 5745MG servo is full metal gear and digital, is a far better servo then the stock HPI one! Only now since the 5T they are full metal gear!
And to add with the hpi servo 5B/SS, you had to buy the medal gear option and that didn't include the servo arm gear...
and when it comes to quality and well known, I do think Hitec takes it...
Old 01-08-2009, 09:21 AM
scarletboa

i have never been lucky with servos and the ONLY servos i've tried that haven't given up or are in the process of giving up are my hitec servos. i used to have three original XTM mammoths and they all had hitec standard platic geared servos stock. not one out of the 6 servos had any problems. Once my savage steering servo dies, (which will be soon) i'm going to get a hitec servo to replace it. whenever any of my stock servos fail, which most of them do, i but hitec. even the cheaper hitecs are good.

I noticed something funny today. My LHS owner is completely against knock-offs. He always gets the expensive namebrand. I took a closer look at the pipe on his Baja 5b SS and i noticed that he has the KM tuned pipe. I asked him to confirm it and he said that he prefers it over the DDM rear dom because it is lighter, louder, and doesn't melt his rear bumper.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:46 PM
RD PoorBoy

Ok talking about servos will the Futaba 3pm 2.4GHz radio work with the stock km servos?
Old 01-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Bat Fastard
My Feedback: (8)

I replaced the stock servo (km servo) with a Hitec 5745mg and there is a huge difference in performance. The stock servo is just not in the same class as the Hitec I dont care what the specs say.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:38 PM
hotrodlincoln886

ok i got my baja today had to track down the ups driver and i was late for work but i got it. so here are some questions. 1. how do i make the suspension softer and not so freakin bouncy. 2. do choke levers from ddm work on the km seeing as my baja didn't come with one. and 3. what in everybodies opinion what should the first upgrade be.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:04 AM
scarletboa

my shocks were like that too. what you need to do is take them apart, drain the oil, drill the pistons out because they come way too small. this will make them much smoother and less bumpy. i would like to know if the DDM choke levers too. i already have one and either i'm not putting it on right or it doesn't fit. i've been using my pliers to operate the choke. the first upgrade in my opinion, should be the KM tuned pipe. it almost doubles performance on the stock engine. the stock can mufflers are WORSE then the ones on the real baja 5b. gutting the muffler can and removing the stinger helps if you can't get a tuned pipe. The second upgrade, get a better rear shock brace. mine bent after a 1-2 foot jump. it barely got of the ground. get either the hpi 4 bolt brace or get a turtle racing brace. the $47 one offers the best strength ad it also protects the tops of the rear shocks. The phatdaddy one is $25 and is VERY sturdy. It just doesn't protect the shock ends in a really bad rollover. The stock radio system really isn't too bad. i'm using it in my recently rebuilt t-maxx (i call it the weakmaxx) and it is not bad at all. just be sure to get a failsafe. i prefer the duratrax failsafes or the venom failsafes. a better clutch spring would help also. the stock one engages WAY too early. even the baja 5b stock 6000rpm spring is an improvement. i got the 8000rpm spring and my low-end bog is now gone; at the cost shredding the stock tires. i have the really gnarly hostile MX tires though for off-road. Benkie, if there are any other immediate upgrades you would recommend, i'm open to any other good upgrades.

my upgrades to far:
prefilters for PS and air filter.
phat daddy rear shock brace
hpi high response 8000rpm clutch
KM tuned pipe (makes a HUUUUGE difference)
Hitex 5745MG servo. (much better than stock)
Old 01-09-2009, 04:50 AM
benckiesbajas

ORIGINAL: RD PoorBoy

Ok talking about servos will the Futaba 3pm 2.4GHz radio work with the stock km servos?

yes you can set the futaba 3pm 2.4 to run for analog or digital servo,s
Old 01-10-2009, 05:36 PM
hotrodlincoln886

will the hpi shock repair kit work with the km baja shocks. i have on in the front that is leaking and obviously want it to stop.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:42 PM
benckiesbajas

will the hpi shock repair kit work with the km baja shocks. i have on in the front that is leaking and obviously want it to stop.

yes hpi will fit and also will leak nthese are a better option

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.4564/.f
Old 01-10-2009, 08:47 PM
scarletboa

update on my baja:

i finished off the tread on the stock tires and in the process, i managed to tear one of the foams. what could i use to replace the tire foams. the tires will only be used for tarmac. i have my MX tires for everything else.

also, does tire weight matter much on-road? i was thinking about using duct tape as replacement. just make a bunch of layers of tape on the inside of the rim where the foam is supposed to be.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:52 PM
benckiesbajas

the balance might afect it more then weight
Old 01-11-2009, 04:16 PM
hotrodlincoln886

ORIGINAL: scarletboa

my shocks were like that too. what you need to do is take them apart, drain the oil, drill the pistons out because they come way too small. this will make them much smoother and less bumpy. i would like to know if the DDM choke levers too. i already have one and either i'm not putting it on right or it doesn't fit. i've been using my pliers to operate the choke. the first upgrade in my opinion, should be the KM tuned pipe. it almost doubles performance on the stock engine. the stock can mufflers are WORSE then the ones on the real baja 5b. gutting the muffler can and removing the stinger helps if you can't get a tuned pipe. The second upgrade, get a better rear shock brace. mine bent after a 1-2 foot jump. it barely got of the ground. get either the hpi 4 bolt brace or get a turtle racing brace. the $47 one offers the best strength ad it also protects the tops of the rear shocks. The phatdaddy one is $25 and is VERY sturdy. It just doesn't protect the shock ends in a really bad rollover. The stock radio system really isn't too bad. i'm using it in my recently rebuilt t-maxx (i call it the weakmaxx) and it is not bad at all. just be sure to get a failsafe. i prefer the duratrax failsafes or the venom failsafes. a better clutch spring would help also. the stock one engages WAY too early. even the baja 5b stock 6000rpm spring is an improvement. i got the 8000rpm spring and my low-end bog is now gone; at the cost shredding the stock tires. i have the really gnarly hostile MX tires though for off-road. Benkie, if there are any other immediate upgrades you would recommend, i'm open to any other good upgrades.

my upgrades to far:
prefilters for PS and air filter.
phat daddy rear shock brace
hpi high response 8000rpm clutch
KM tuned pipe (makes a HUUUUGE difference)
Hitex 5745MG servo. (much better than stock)
what weight shock oil is evryone using for a good all purpose ride IE pavement,dirt grass, gravel, jumps, all that fun stuff.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:23 PM
srt10

what weight shock oil is evryone using for a good all purpose ride IE pavement,dirt grass, gravel, jumps, all that fun stuff.

Awesome question.. I want to know this one to..
Old 01-12-2009, 01:00 AM
scarletboa

i use 40 wt in the front and rear. the front may feel a little stiff but this is good for steering.

I WAS PULLING WHEELIES TODAY!.........that is....until i wrecked the clutch bell plate thing, upper rear plate, and spur gear. i think the clutch bell is toast too.[:'(]

DO NOT WHEELIE USING SPEEDBUMPS! landing with the wheels spinning makes it wheely but it kills your tranny. i'm looking at a $50-$80 pricetag for this fix. (or at least i would if a fellow baja owner wasn't so nice. he has a tricked out 5t and has the plates i need and a spare spur and is giving all 3 to me for an even $20. i still need to check the CB.)

i still managed 3 tanks today though. this thing is a money pit and is quickly climbing to the cost of the real 5b.

$505 shipped for the baja and pipe
$70 for the steering servo
$65 for the outerwears PS and airfilter covers along with the turtle racing phatdaddy rear shock brace
$120 for the hostile tires with hpi rims, foams and beadlocks.
$50 for the repair i now need.
and that doesn't include the upgraded radio i put in.
$810.............i could've had a b5 ss for that price....

kingmotor was probably not the best choice for me. i still have a ton of parts that will give soon including the diff, the dogbones and outdrives, the engine, and much much more. i think this KM baja was a big mistake for me. It is great for people who don't bash though. well, i'm in for the KM ride now and i will just deal with it .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................................[:@][:@][:@]
Old 01-12-2009, 01:50 AM
srt10

ORIGINAL: scarletboa

i use 40 wt in the front and rear. the front may feel a little stiff but this is good for steering.

I WAS PULLING WHEELIES TODAY!.........that is....until i wrecked the clutch bell plate thing, upper rear plate, and spur gear. i think the clutch bell is toast too.[:'(]

DO NOT WHEELIE USING SPEEDBUMPS! landing with the wheels spinning makes it wheely but it kills your tranny. i'm looking at a $50-$80 pricetag for this fix. (or at least i would if a fellow baja owner wasn't so nice. he has a tricked out 5t and has the plates i need and a spare spur and is giving all 3 to me for an even $20. i still need to check the CB.)

i still managed 3 tanks today though. this thing is a money pit and is quickly climbing to the cost of the real 5b.

$505 shipped for the baja and pipe
$70 for the steering servo
$65 for the outerwears PS and airfilter covers along with the turtle racing phatdaddy rear shock brace
$120 for the hostile tires with hpi rims, foams and beadlocks.
$50 for the repair i now need.
and that doesn't include the upgraded radio i put in.
$810.............i could've had a b5 ss for that price....

kingmotor was probably not the best choice for me. i still have a ton of parts that will give soon including the diff, the dogbones and outdrives, the engine, and much much more. i think this KM baja was a big mistake for me. It is great for people who don't bash though. well, i'm in for the KM ride now and i will just deal with it .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................................[:@][:@][:@]

Hey man its all good..
I have not seen a 5B SS for only $810.. and don't forget shipping.. $810 would be a great price though
Lets see 5B SS
$810 +
$65 for the outerwears PS and airfilter covers along with the turtle racing phatdaddy rear shock brace + (does not come with SS)
$120 for the hostile tires with hpi rims, foams and beadlocks + (does not come with SS)
$50 for the repair i now need = (well you get the picture)
$1045 +
$75 shipping =

= $1120 for the Baja 5B SS, and more..
Old 01-12-2009, 02:08 AM
Dan H

I got my Baja SS for $680. Tower Hobbies $180 off with HPI $50 rebate and free shipping.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:11 AM
srt10

ORIGINAL: Dan H

I got my Baja SS for $680. Tower Hobbies $180 off with HPI $50 rebate and free shipping.

Good job man...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.