Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

SURVEY: How do you feel about clones in the marketplace?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.
View Poll Results: A poll
PRO-Clones:They are generally good for the hobby
49.04%
ANTI-Clones:They are bad for the hobby
25.96%
Neutral-I am neither for or against Clones in the Marketplace
25.00%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

SURVEY: How do you feel about clones in the marketplace?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:18 AM
dawolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SURVEY: How do you feel about clones in the marketplace?

Just a survey since the clones discussion thread seems to illicit some good discussions surrounding clones. Just a simple Pro-clone or Anti-clones.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: SURVEY: How do you feel about clones in the marketplace?

You need a couple more options....

* I am against clones in principal, regardless of their effect on the hobby.
and
* I am neither for or against them, I see them as a simple inevitability.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:43 AM
dawolf

Foxy,

I did consider multiple options but I opted for simplistic yay or nay instead. Just to see what side of the fence everyone is on.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You won't get a vote from me then, since neither of your current options reflects my position. I understand what you mean, but I don't think black/white will adequately reflect many of the more considered opinions. Poll is easy to edit to add those options, I can even do it for you if you'd like. Your choice, of course...

At least add a neutrality vote.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:08 PM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

Me neither, although i'll often play devils advocate in clone discussions and voice opposing opinions i'm not really all that bothered about them.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:36 PM
dawolf

Fair enough, a Neutrality vote sounds good.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

Good move. Intresting how the poll is going. I think we may at one time have frowned more on illegal copying but those overbearing anti-piracy adds just get everyones back up and just make you want to rebel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTbX1aMajow
Old 03-26-2008, 08:04 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[&o]I believe they are the worst thing that can happen to the hobby. It puts a stand still on development while yeilding a low quality product with no support. In the end its our own fault for allowing our over priced labor to force production over seas. []
Old 03-26-2008, 09:04 PM
fguniverse

I agree with you to some extent ,not that I'm PRO for clones ,I think the overall quality can leave a bad taste in a new large scale enthusiast,but at the same time you allow more options to get involved at an affordable entry level.
If the quality was up to par ,I think we would see the bigger companies trying to compete at a less expensive level and maybe adjust prices.
I am one to believe ,you get what you pay for ,also to some extent.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:45 PM
HaveBlue

in this particular poll I'd have to vote "pro" clones...I like having cheap 1/5 th scale cars in the market..it broadens this expensive hobby to get more people involved, I mean I wouldn't want to spend $2000-$4000 dollars just to find out this really isn't for me, if I bought a $600 xrc and then found out out I didn't like large scale ,would be easier to live with than a couple of grand..what I am against is quality manufactures getting ripped off..thats the crux of the clone argument

the other thing to remember is once you are hooked your cheapie clone no longer cuts the grade so most either update with manufactures parts cause they fit as they are copied..or you save and save so you too can own a hpi baja, FG, lauterbacher or what ever make your partial to so in a couple of ways I think it does benefit the hobby
Old 03-27-2008, 12:06 AM
TIM MT

Just a question but what if a cheap clone turns you off of 1/5 scale before you have a chance to really try out a quality built machine??? Most of what I put my FGs through every week would damage a clone and then I would go home unhappy and frustrated needing to buy new parts, instead I go home, check over my machine and maybe fix a few cracks in the lexan, tighten some screws and recharge the batteries. Totally different impression on me than if I had a machine that broke every week. Just a thought...
Old 03-27-2008, 12:26 AM
quarterscalelegends

Better question is, what if a cheap clone keeps real manufacturers from designing new cars and bringing awesome stuff to the market place. HPI is the first company to do something new with 1/5 scale in over 10yrs and that took a huge investment. Now look at all the clones. People need to realize that everyone can not afford everything out there. large scale is for sure an expensive hobby. The prices HPI offers are amazing values for what you get. If you want to play you have to pay. Supporting the clone mfg's is just plain disgusting.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:50 AM
HaveBlue

Ive got the best of the best in my evo and Ive got cheap clones..funny how my clones didnt't break as much as you make them out..and the clone was the smartech traveller..I bashed that in sprint races twice amonth..nothing broke that wouldn't on a marder..which was usually ball links... I just saying I would rather invest $600.00 to find out if I like something rather than $2000.00
besides the proof is in the pudding..our club started the XRC class to get more people into the hobby..and it boosted numbers we now have more in the xrc class than the open class and some race both..more people can now afford to have some 1/5th scale fun

well quaterscale who has it stopped...none them want to stop making money and established companies have been around to long to chuck in the towel..you say its disgusting supporting clones..mate it boils down to money thats how life works and this isn't limited to just our hobby ..its everything..not my advocation... just how things are in general

besides you can all debate this till the sun goes down ..its not going to do a thing..clones are here along side the main guys..those with the bucks will buy the good stuff those who dont will settle for a cheaper clone

Old 03-27-2008, 01:48 AM
PAPE

I personaly dont think it maters what any one sais because every one thinks they are right in there own way but I will say that I have seen most people here come to conclusions about this subject without really having any idea how all the clone and no clone rc's work. if any one reads this that is against clones please reserch a bit more how this works and I know most people will think they already know what they are talking about and not really care for my post
Old 03-27-2008, 02:52 AM
bentley marshall

gezzzz u guys still going on about this they are here to stay get over it !!! i have 1 clone car and one gen fg truck they are both as good as each other they all have there ups and downs [8D]
Old 03-27-2008, 11:33 AM
quarterscalelegends

I know exactly how clones work. Most of the time they are built off the exact same tooling as the originals, sometimes they are even built at the very same factory. The problem is that the chineese manufactures are inventors of nothing but duplicators of everything. What this creates is a product that is made without the understanding of why its made this way. That is what I mean by cheap quality.

No one has thrown in the towel yet because this is still a new trend. FG cars were basically clones of the Yankee cars. FG did very little improvements over the years. When clones started to show up of the FG cars it was not a huge impact due to the fact the FG car was a clone itself. Now HPI comes to the market with a 100% new car that is their design. Millions spent in tooling and R&D just to have exact copies of their cars put on the market within 2 years. How do you think this motivates HPI to develop another new design? Do you honestly think the next new design will come from a chineese manufacturer? Of course it wont, because they dont invent, they copy. The large scale market is pretty small and vulnerable. It will be hard to get funding for marketing at HPI to develop another large scale car when sales are erroded by clones on the market. It would make more sence to build another small scale car that will sell to a much larger market.

Where can you buy a clone of a $2000 car for $600?
Old 03-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

I can think of quite a few chinese inventions such as toilet paper. Think of where you'd be now without that huh! Trying to figure out how to use the three sea shells.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:09 PM
fergus91

i have a bit more bad news on the clone matter, i know a guy who has been in contact with the compeny involved, aparently there will be a baja ss clone on the market within a few months
Old 03-27-2008, 01:22 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that different from the king motors Baja thats floating around ebay? Is it just the same thing in kit form?
Old 03-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

Can you get that guy to contact the cloner and get him to improve the ballends on the SS shocks then? Thats one of the SS' main weaknesses.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:41 PM
fergus91

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Is that different from the king motors Baja thats floating around ebay? Is it just the same thing in kit form?
sort of, its being made by king motors, and i think it will be the same as the ss kit rather than a 5X in bits
Old 03-27-2008, 03:15 PM
gunner221

your always going to get copies of anything that sells its the nature of the beast and should be seen as a compliment.

something to do with jumping on the band wagon
Old 03-27-2008, 03:32 PM
W00KIE

ORIGINAL: Lunar Wolf

Trying to figure out how to use the three sea shells.
LOL uummm rat burgers,,,

I got my cloney yesterday

Just getting rid of the purple as we speak

<link to competing RC site requiring registration removed>
Old 03-27-2008, 04:07 PM
gunner221

so where can this Baja Clone be brought from in the UK ?
Old 03-27-2008, 05:24 PM
jtnktz
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: fergus91

ORIGINAL: sheograth

sort of, its being made by king motors, and i think it will be the same as the ss kit rather than a 5X in bits

Just so you all know, it is going to be the SS kit. Exactly like it bagged and everything. Also coming out with yet another marder clone as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.