Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

1/3 scale trophy truck build

Old 04-01-2008, 09:07 PM
The_Lost_Otter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/3 scale trophy truck build

ya it will be a beast. it will proply have a 50cc motor with motor work done. and be a full cage setup. 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4 brake line. if any one is willing to sell me a welder cheap, pm me. right now, tires suspion and an axle are the proplem. if you gat ideas tell me. if your in pheonix AZ. you can be apart of it. but guys help me with this
Old 04-01-2008, 09:15 PM
bigmodman

Default RE: 1/3 scale trophy truck build

wow, that brake line sounds a bit small. dontcha think? shoot i am using 1/2 and 3/4 in tubing for my cars.....
Old 04-01-2008, 09:15 PM
DarkFire989

that sounds sick, 1/3 must be huge! good luck with it. and yeah welders are not cheap. I bought one to build my offroad go kart and it was like 400.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Soloratov
My Feedback: (1)

Tires - use ones from a lawn tractor. Should be able to find plenty that are the right proportional size. You'll want to just copy the swingarm design currently used in the trophy trucks, and that allows a straight axle, either from a small tractor, or a go kart. You can then use the method provided by 1/4 Scale Berretta, and use gas shocks from car trunk lids, modified to accept an external spring for shocks. I have chain drive diffs from a go kart if your interested. Not sure about the engine though, 1/3 scale will be quite heavy, I'm working 1/4 scale Hummer and I am planning to use a 90cc ATV engine. All depends on gear ratios though.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:05 AM
DarkSoul Racing

If you are interested, i used to be heavily into pocket bikes and still have a few Polini and BZM motors that might be just the trick for your application here. They are both water cooled, I have the radiators and water pumps for them. The Polini makes about 8hp (40cc 3 port) and the BZM I have is a 40cc 5 port design rated at about 12 hp. Both use an 80mm clutch very similar to the Zen / CY clutch, just bigger. These motors are more than capable of pushing 200 pound up to about 55 mph very quickly, so more than enough I think for your project. Normally these motors sell for between $800 and $1000 each, I would let either go for $800 with the radiator ($150 normally), the water pump ($75) and a bunch of extra clutch parts (probably another $100-$200 worth of stuff) So thats easily $1200-$1300 worth of stuff for $800. All the parts are brand new, and I think I even have some carbs laying around for them that I will also throw in ($75).

Shoot me a PM, or email at [email protected] if you are interested and think they would work for your application.

Here is a good picture to show the size difference from a Polini a/c motor to a 26cc Zenoah-

And on the left of this pic, is a w/c BZM cylinder, and on the right is a Polini a/c cylinder.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:33 AM
brice_arnold
My Feedback: (6)

Yeah, maybe consider using 3/8 and 1/2 .049 wall chromoly tubing for the frame.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:16 AM
The_Lost_Otter

some one sent me a pm saying that i can build a frame with out welding.? if your gpoing to sell something pm me, that guys post got deleated for the motor.

or you can email me at [email protected]
Old 04-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Soloratov

Yeah you can certainly build a frame without welding. I am. Just depends on material. Only hard part for you is the shape. It's harder to create nice smooth shapes without welding tubing, something I am sacrificing due to my 0% welding knowledge.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Dave ESPI

Check your local want-ads digest or CRAIGS LIST for a welder. People are always buy/selling there.

Sounds like a good project, and it will hit the same roadblocks everyone does.... wheels, suspention, diff, and that stuff, so good luck
Old 04-02-2008, 02:54 PM
The_Lost_Otter

tires- the little off road ones from wall mart or maybe from a 50cc quad. no diff chain driven. i will post some of the demisions in a minute
Old 04-02-2008, 03:18 PM
The_Lost_Otter

[link]http://www.hermanmotorsports.com/herman_motorsports_truck/index.php[/link]

well thats the truck. and i want it to handle like one. if you watch the vid the suspion moves and the truck looks like its rolling on the street. if there are bigger shocks then the bajas tell me. if not i will use 2 shocks in the rear, one spring and the other just filled with heavy shock oil.

i got some of the sizes from another truck and the wheel base would be 62 "
Old 04-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Q.S.

You stated your W/B will be 62'' correct, Then based on that real trophy truck spects, Your truck will be 1/2 scale, NOT 1/3 scale. That real truck has a 125'' W/B

125 divided by 3 =41.6''
Also as stated above, If it were me i would go with the 3/8 to 1/2 chromoly, Rather than the fuel/brake line material, I am also building a 1/4 scale Beretta, thats made from fuel/brake lines, It is a fairly strong matal, but chromoly will hold up much longer and in some cases cheaper than fuel line.

Have you looked on ebay for a tig welder? You may also want to check out www.harbourfreight.com they have a few welders there as well, I bought a mig/tig welder from them over 5 years ago, and i have never had any issue with it.

BTW: I am also building a Trophy Truck, It's 1/4 scale though,
Old 04-02-2008, 06:02 PM
jackle

I'd hate to see that thing out of control, might kill someone! Make sure you use a failsafe & remote kill switch
Old 04-02-2008, 07:31 PM
The_Lost_Otter

i could use a 100cc race bike motor, but the shiftting and clutching.... dont need to use the cluth when i shift up but down yes. is that site have pics of your build?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:44 PM
The_Lost_Otter

ok so use the cromoly srteel, 80cc motor-might change. 6-8 baja shocks. took a messure ment of a lt-80 quad axle would work pretty well.

still need to work on the....
stearing-ideas? i got nothing
a-arms-idea but not really sure
rear end-confused might look at a trophy kart on that setup
motor-i want the race motor but might be to hard because i would have to use all those servos just got an idea but its either no brakes or stearing

any thing else i missing? tell me
Old 04-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Q.S.

Not yet,, I'm re-designing all my site pages, There are a few threads here though on both of them, All of my new build progress will be on my forum now, you can join it if you want to follow my progress, You will need to be a member and logged in to viev any of the pictures,

Here are a few shots of the wood prototype at various stages of the build, It is still under construction,
Old 04-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Soloratov

Look into the CVT driven motors for the mini-atv's. I had the same issue with shifting, and that was the answer for me.

Do you have access to metalworking machines? You could make your own a-arms. Nothing here on the shocks though, have yet to address that issue myself. With steering, it will be interesting due to size. My choice was a pitman style, mostly because I could make it myself, and I felt it was stronger for weight issues. Again, not sure what you have access to, but because of size, I'd bet you could salvage a lot of the steering parts from a mini-atv, along with the engine, brakes, and the rear end you are looking at.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Q.S.

Here is a link to a gearbox/rearend that may also work for your application as well, I'm currently researching alternative gear ratios for them, The stock unit comes with a 3.5.1 ratio, Model number is 106-3956 Price is $44 www.partstree.com They are gearboxes for a self propelled mower,
Old 04-02-2008, 09:16 PM
bigmodman

on the shocks, i would use the lift support idea like qbs said. and that rear he posted is a good rear. i am fixing to purchase 2 of them for my 1/4 scale crawler project. if you really want a multi speed motor, you could just purchase 2 more servos to use for the shift lever, and the clutch.

vantec.com has the heavy duty servos for that. heck the have it for steering too!
the steering i would use some radius rods and some rod ends and make a custom servo horn to attach them to.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:37 PM
The_Lost_Otter

qsb- is that just wooden dowls? that wouldnt be a bad idea for a mock-up. i think i know how i am going to do the stearing.

do you think i can get it to shift and cluth at the same time on one channel?
Old 04-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Q.S.

It's wood tubes/dowls, This is just the prototype, once done i will build all the weld jigs from it, I will build a wood prototype chassis like this for all 11 of our cars were designing, It will be a fully TIG welded chromoly chassis.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:20 AM
The_Lost_Otter

i think i found a good way to make the frame- dura-fix. you just use a torch and thats it
Old 04-03-2008, 08:40 AM
bsrman14
Banned

ORIGINAL: QuarterscaleBeretta

It's wood tubes/dowls, This is just the prototype, once done i will build all the weld jigs from it, I will build a wood prototype chassis like this for all 11 of our cars were designing, It will be a fully TIG welded chromoly chassis.

Foam board is a faster and cheaper wasted expence.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Q.S.

Yeah!!! I would think foam board would be a little unstable to build them solid wood welding jigs around,

This wood prototype chassis was very cheap to build, I have $26 in it.
I don't think that will break the bank, So to speak
Old 04-03-2008, 06:38 PM
The_Lost_Otter

my dad said he would buy me another car at the end of next week. the lhs has a carpet track and i might get a carpet racer. but i want to finish this build fast. going to get wood tonight so i will get some pics up in a bit

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.