Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Big, Bad, Very Fast Bashing truck, which one...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Big, Bad, Very Fast Bashing truck, which one...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 10:15 AM
fellers
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big, Bad, Very Fast Bashing truck, which one...

Hey guys I am looking for a big very bad ***** gas truck to beat on in the big rock quarries around my house. I have a revo and it is cool and all done up for bashing but I want a bigger faster truck. And cheaper to run than nitro.

I have some massive gasser planes and they are a blast. I am a firm believer in bigger is better

Don't really care about the price. I want Quality over anything. If I have to dump a ton of money in reinforcement parts it is not a good deal anymore anyways. I would rather dump my cash in performance parts; or a really sweet engine. I don't want to be fixing something every time I run the thing ya know...

With that in mind what should I get. I don't even know where to start
Old 04-06-2008, 10:20 AM
part-time
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Big, Bad, Very Fast Bashing truck, which one...

the fgs require several parts to make them hold up well about $200 worth. i have not really heard anything bad about the mcds but i dont own one. the mcds are also 4wd and have more ground clearance and bigger tires and a longer wheelbase.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Snaut Rocket

Get a baja 5b ss if you already have a radio.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're all good, and none is perfect out of the box. I have an HPI Baja, and an FG Monster Truck. The Baja was easy to get up and running out of the box, but has a cheaper engine, and crappy electronics (it was an RTR though, if you get an SS, you can put whatever electronics in you want). It's also a nightmare to work on and the diff needed filling straight away. The stock tires are pretty rubbish too, and the plastic beadlocks are a bit weak. Lastly the rear arm rub on the insode of the rims at full suspension travel, so you need a set of axle extenders. Also if you plan on big air, you'll need a fairly expensive shock shaft replacement. This is not optional, the stock shafts are VERY thin and weak.

The FG is usually bought as a roller with a Zenoah 26cc engine, which is a very nice powerplant. I'd say the FGs are slightly tougher out of the box, but they too have some weaknesses. The chassis flexes and messes up your gears. The upper rear arms hit stuff too when the chassis and suspension are flexing. The solution to this is alloy engine mounts, alloy spur and pinion carrier, and alloy upper rear arms. You will need a full set of electronics for the FG, unless you buy a shop's own 'rtr' package.

In both cases, you'll need at least $150 more for a good pipe to get the best out of the engines. It's hard to say which is better, they're both great fun in different ways. The baja is cool, but the FG has big wheels and pulls wheelies. I like them both equally. The FG took more money and effort to get 'right', but has a better engine and is a bit tougher, now that it's 'fixed'. I have ended up spending more on the Baja, simply because there is so much stuff available for it. If you like to hop stuff up, there's no contest, get a Baja, the aftermarket supply is superb, with loads of companies offering stuff you can bolt on. Don't know how much it will help, but here are some vids of my FG and the Baja...

FG - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQHW2SPGb-U - This was when it was a Hummer, it's now a monster beetle.
Baja - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcCA4WsRV7g - This car also looks very different now, and is undergoing a makeover.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Snaut Rocket

Foxy is the SS kit Need all those replacements as the Rtr.
Or is the shocks tougher, and so it the tires?
Old 04-06-2008, 01:55 PM
snoking16

the shocks are tougher the dogbones are tougher...the tires are the same, the beedlocks are tougher, i think, the SS comes with a 26 cc engine and tuned pipe while the RTR is a 23cc and just a muffler.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:16 PM
beer=food
Banned

l want one of these next !

http://www.fgsupply.com/Marder_Model...rent_body.html

Anyone got one, they any good ?
Old 04-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Foxy

Snaut Rocket, to be honest, the SS is little better than the RTR, long term. The main things it has that are worth having are the alloy diff case, the swaybars, the engine, and the metal gear steering servo. Everything else needs upgrading just like the RTR. The shock shafts are just as bad, only the problem is different. When they thickened the shock shafts for the SS, they didn't change the plastic eye at the bottom where the shaft is connected to the lower arm, so where the shaft no longer bends, instead the plastic breaks. Basically, the SS offers some improved stuff, but nothing that you won't still upgrade anyway. Out of the 2 I'd say get the SS, but if you can't get one (stock issues), then the RTR is fine. I started mine as an RTR, never did any big air, and never had a single problem with it.

beer=food, that is the latest evolution of the marder based buggies from FG. It's a very good car, yes, and is supplied with a Zenoah 26cc engine. Better than that CY in your baja; stronger, faster, and longer lasting. There's a few owners on here, but really there's not a lot to say about it. It's FG quality, it's a RWD buggy, it's a good car. All the FG cars are the same chassis, the monsters have different gears, tires and rollcage, the Stadiums have, you guessed it, different gears, tires and rollcage, and the FG Baja? Yup, different gears tires and rollcage (and only 4 shocks and different arms).
Old 04-06-2008, 03:56 PM
bsrman14
Banned

Good luck finding anything with the guts to get the job done you want. The RTR (ready to replace) are low cost entry level machines. THe best is out of production. with the Rtrs you might as well buy all the upgrades and build it from scratch. Quality does come with a price. Too bad no one wants to pay for it now.[]
Old 04-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: bsrman14

Good luck finding anything with the guts to get the job done you want. The RTR (ready to replace) are low cost entry level machines. THe best is out of production. with the Rtrs you might as well buy all the upgrades and build it from scratch. Quality does come with a price. Too bad no one wants to pay for it now.[]
Can I ask you to qualify a few of those statements please, not cos I disagree necessarily, I just want to understand better what you mean? The HPI Baja RTR is a fine RTR, for eample, which are you referring to? Also, the best being out of production, may I ask which cars/manufacturers you are referring to? Also, people are spending ever increasing amounts of money, I don't understand what you mean when you say 'Too bad nobody wants to pay it now'. 5th scale is enjoying a huge boom at the moment...
Old 04-06-2008, 05:51 PM
krayziedxc
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: beer=food

l want one of these next !

http://www.fgsupply.com/Marder_Model...rent_body.html

Anyone got one, they any good ?
no idea. but im converting my monster beetle to a Fg baja desert racer. my parts are coming!! cant wait.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Snaut Rocket

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Snaut Rocket, to be honest, the SS is little better than the RTR, long term. The main things it has that are worth having are the alloy diff case, the swaybars, the engine, and the metal gear steering servo. Everything else needs upgrading just like the RTR. The shock shafts are just as bad, only the problem is different. When they thickened the shock shafts for the SS, they didn't change the plastic eye at the bottom where the shaft is connected to the lower arm, so where the shaft no longer bends, instead the plastic breaks. Basically, the SS offers some improved stuff, but nothing that you won't still upgrade anyway. Out of the 2 I'd say get the SS, but if you can't get one (stock issues), then the RTR is fine. I started mine as an RTR, never did any big air, and never had a single problem with it.

beer=food, that is the latest evolution of the marder based buggies from FG. It's a very good car, yes, and is supplied with a Zenoah 26cc engine. Better than that CY in your baja; stronger, faster, and longer lasting. There's a few owners on here, but really there's not a lot to say about it. It's FG quality, it's a RWD buggy, it's a good car. All the FG cars are the same chassis, the monsters have different gears, tires and rollcage, the Stadiums have, you guessed it, different gears, tires and rollcage, and the FG Baja? Yup, different gears tires and rollcage (and only 4 shocks and different arms).
So foxy what upgrade is required for the shocks.
Is it a cheap one or am i looking to spending 100+ on them.
Becuase 900$ is a lot to spend on something thats just going to need repairs.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Gas jocky

snaut rocket .. this is what you need
http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product2170.html
fellers... 2wd look at FG or HPI Baja5b, 4wd look at MCD or wait for FG's 4wd to come out (summertime?) lots of cheaper trucks avalible now aswell but sounds like you want quality over economy (Smartech, FS etc)
Old 04-06-2008, 10:00 PM
fellers
My Feedback: (6)

Guys I do definately want quality. I don't know who said it above, "people aren't willing to pay for quality" because in my initial post i said price does not matter. If I have to get a rolling chasis that is fine. The motor absolutely has to a ripper and I am willing pay out the wazoo for a really really good BIG one.
I have the spektrum 3PR radio. Getting my own electronics is fine because you always get junk from manufacturers.
The hop up parts i don't want breaking always either ya know...

I like the baja but only being able to get a 26cc engine does not do it for me. Unless I am being ingnorant and a pipe and whatever else I can add will give it monstrous torque and blistering speed.
Ya think speed really gave a person a blister?
LOL kiddin. But I am learning and want to hear anything you guys have to say.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Gas jocky

fellers you can put up to a 30.5cc in the baja or even go better, get a trever simpson reed block and rip your drive train to pieces LOL. For a start check out DDM for engines, they are great people
http://www.davesmotors.com/store/rcengines.html
Old 04-07-2008, 04:57 AM
mikeinoz

MCD all the way dude, you want the best you gota pay for it but its the best. You will be hard pressed to find an actual MCD owner who says they are crap, only non MCD owners who arent qualified to voice the opinion. You also have the benifit of being able to run it as an MT, buggy even on orad if you want just by changing wheels and gear ratio. You just cant do that with any other brand except maybe FG but then its only 2wd.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:30 PM
ahibo

I am also an MCD owner. In the beginning I was skeptical about how the MCD is built but over time it slowly gain my respect for the truck. Just make sure that you thread lock everything and it will be bulletproof!!!
Old 07-03-2008, 07:12 PM
clubin

I am another MCD owner, I have a Baja 1000 that I have purchased everything to convert it to MT, I had the MT tires on it the darn thing will almost skip across water I like it. lol

Get yourself a MCD MT, enough said.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:39 PM
SilverSteel

Go with the new MCD EVO III Monstertruck. This thing has the new EVO III suspension with hinge pins, the tires are BIG and you can adjust the air inside of the tires for your needs. Get it as a roller without an engine and buy you whatever engine you want. The drivetrain withstand even the 30.5 engines.

Greetings from Germany
SilverSteel