Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

First 5B SS run... Wow...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First 5B SS run... Wow...

I took the 5B SS out for the first time. Of course I had a large audience from work so I didn't break it in per the manual. :-)

I rolled it a few times and just started beating on it with no breakage. I was (and still am) shaking. Wow!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 12:04 PM
csp1971

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: First 5B SS run... Wow...

Great adrenaline rush huh?
Old 04-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol. He's hooked boys. Better to just give your credit card to DDM and be done with it. lol.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Dale Gribble

I still haven't given up Nitro yet there...
Old 04-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Foxy

Its only a matter of days now....
Old 04-09-2008, 12:21 PM
FastEddy
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

I still haven't given up Nitro yet there...
Thats ok, Some people are a little "Slow" but youll catch on soon enough.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:36 PM
DIABLOTAC78

if you break something and order for upgrade parts you will never stop. then you will get tired of tuning the nitro and you will sell them or put them as a shelf queen. welcome to large scale bro
Old 04-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Osirisf16

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Why you saying that? Not everyone that buy a giant scale will 100% give up nitros. For example ME, i haven't give up, but in the opposite, i'm trying to buy another nitro and that will be THE NITRO Can't wait untill 2009!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 01:44 PM
TurtleRacing

Congrats and Welcome The shakes go away temporarilly, they will be back!
Old 04-09-2008, 02:25 PM
beer=food
Banned

fun aint they !
Old 04-09-2008, 02:29 PM
DarkFire989

I really want my baja now[>:] I think I will end up selling my Nitro Truck once I get the baja.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Dale Gribble

I had a one in a million shot today... I am still taking it easy on the buggy and did a little jump on a gravel mound... The buggy rolled and then it wouldn't do anything but idle... I scratched my head for a second and then saw that a rock actually lodged into the end of the pipe!!! What are the chances of that?! I pried it out and it was fine, so no biggie.

This thing is HARD to jump and will take getting used to. I kept making it tumble nose over tail on small jumps. It looks like the only way to keep the nose from diving at all is to stay on throttle all of the way through which means for better or worse, you are committed by the time you hit the base of the jump- if you let off, it's gonna roll. I had this buggy tumble a good ten times in 1 tank. It doesn't drive like anything else I have ever driven. It didn't break or bend a single part which is REALLY good.

A few more things I immediately noticed about the 5B is that it will need significantly more room and larger objects to jump compared to 1/10 and 1/8 scale stuff. Also, the HPI tuned pipe is way too loud and kind of annoying to be honest. All of the braking in the rear of the buggy isn't sufficient. The buggy is way too large for rear braking only. The rear tires will actually lock and skid and the car will still continue forward for many feet before it finally comes to a stop due to the size and weight of the buggy. I am going to play with ABS on my transmitter to see how I can help it.

Other then that, it is cool for sure. I can't wait to put some more tanks through.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

I had a one in a million shot today... I am still taking it easy on the buggy and did a little jump on a gravel mound... The buggy rolled and then it wouldn't do anything but idle... I scratched my head for a second and then saw that a rock actually lodged into the end of the pipe!!! What are the chances of that?! I pried it out and it was fine, so no biggie.

This thing is HARD to jump and will take getting used to. I kept making it tumble nose over tail on small jumps. It looks like the only way to keep the nose from diving at all is to stay on throttle all of the way through which means for better or worse, you are committed by the time you hit the base of the jump- if you let off, it's gonna roll. I had this buggy tumble a good ten times in 1 tank. It doesn't drive like anything else I have ever driven. It didn't break or bend a single part which is REALLY good.

A few more things I immediately noticed about the 5B is that it will need significantly more room and larger objects to jump compared to 1/10 and 1/8 scale stuff. Also, the HPI tuned pipe is way too loud and kind of annoying to be honest. All of the braking in the rear of the buggy isn't sufficient. The buggy is way too large for rear braking only. The rear tires will actually lock and skid and the car will still continue forward for many feet before it finally comes to a stop due to the size and weight of the buggy. I am going to play with ABS on my transmitter to see how I can help it.

Other then that, it is cool for sure. I can't wait to put some more tanks through.
2 upgrades will fix your complaints.... A front brake kit and a Silenced Pipe.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Snaut Rocket

Hey dale how was the build.
Was it difficult.
Or just as easy as any other build.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Nitro Fumes

I just got mine today! Hurray! I just laid out all those parts bags. Looks like fun. I still need a few things for it.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Dale Gribble

ORIGINAL: Snaut Rocket

Hey dale how was the build.
Was it difficult.
Or just as easy as any other build.
Rather then repost it, here is my build thread on another forum. It should give you some ideas.

[link=http://rcdriver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1543]http://rcdriver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1543[/link]
Old 04-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Snaut Rocket

Wow looks like a tiring build.
I think I could whip it out in a day and half.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Great build thread... I look forward to building mine when it gets here. Yes... I'm yet another FG convert
Old 04-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had posted about this nose-heavy thing a while back and got some good advice. In the end, I used the theory of other's success to try to tune my suspension a bit better to help with light jumps. Here's what I did from the other post:

I stiffened the front spring pre-load (15mm between shock cap and retaining ring vs the stock 9mm setting). I left the front damping at the softest setting. This allows the front end to drop quickly when hitting a jump (or ramp) and then rebound during the launch to help keep the front end up.

I left the rear spring pre-load alone, but increased the rear shock damping to the second firmest position (second smallest hole....see note below). This is similar to what someone else suggested, but without changing the oil viscosity......just use a stiffer damping shock setting. This helped keep the rear end from bouncing when landing.

All in all, a major imprpovement. The skill to make the 5B stay level and land smoothly is significantly reduced.

Note: I found adjusting the shock damping difficult to do by the book. In the end, I simply took the shocks apart to line up the damping holes the way I wanted them.

Hope this helps.....tis easy to try and costs zippo!
Old 04-16-2008, 04:14 PM
newpat

Hi guys!
i got a Savage X about 1.5 months ago, and i'm already looking at the Baja 5B... i just need a house and a garage to fit it in! this thing looks so awesome!!!
i'm not a mechanic whatsoever, but still able to get my nitro to run OK... my question is, the Baja being a gasser, is there any tuning to do? or is it more like fuel it up, pull the starter 2-3 times and rip the grass off all around???
i love my RC but tuning is just a pain in the b*** !!! i never heard of tuning a lawnmower engine, but i am not sure if the Baja is the same...
i'm gonna keep an eye on these large scale cars forums now

thanks!!!
Old 04-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Foxy

Have a read of the largescale FAQs I wrote at the top of the forum, it's all covered, break in, tuning, oil mix, etc.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:22 PM
newpat

ok... i guess i could have started there
i just get too excited when i hear / read about the Baja... and i havent ran one yet

thanks,
Old 04-17-2008, 11:09 AM
tizdaz

ORIGINAL: Osirisf16

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Why you saying that? Not everyone that buy a giant scale will 100% give up nitros. For example ME, i haven't give up, but in the opposite, i'm trying to buy another nitro and that will be THE NITRO Can't wait untill 2009!!!

very true! ..im soon to be getting an LST2.. will use my LST2 for hard bashing & my FG MB Pro for general bashing ..no matter what people say, you cant bash a largescale like a nitro & get away with it!!