Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Finally did my HPI Baja B5 SS first run...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Finally did my HPI Baja B5 SS first run...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Nitro Fumes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally did my HPI Baja B5 SS first run...

It sure has potential. It sure was kicking up dust. But I had a little trouble so I didn''t get to finish the first tank. I was having trouble with the braking and idling and even throttle response. So I was adjusting settings. Anyway what I kept noticing after a few times was the the throttle servo wasn''t in the 90ΒΊ position where I originally set it. Then I noticed that the screw was gone and also the arm I put on was just a little too big on the spline and wasn''t staying in position. So I brought it in, cleaned it up somewhat and now I have to find another screw. One tiny little screw. The smallest screw on the whole car will keep me from running it until I replace it. Either the hobby shop or even Ace Hardware may have it. Of course I have to remove the servo to match it up unless someone here knows what thread size that screw is.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Finally did my HPI Baja B5 SS first run...

Sounds like you mighta used the wrong servo horn. You used the one with an F on it, yeh? HPI servos are just cheap futabas rebadged. The thread is standard. Think it''s a 2.5 dia screw. Not 100% sure on that one.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Nitro Fumes

I forgot to say what servo I have anyway. But you''re right, I did use the wrong servo horn. The servo is a Hitec HS-645MG. I''ll also use thread lock on the screw. Anyway here''s a picture of my Baja along with my only other R/C car, the Losi XXX-NT AD2 which I race only. It''s a little squirt compared to the Baja. I was showing pictures of the Baja to a guy from work today and he was really impressed with it. He''s not into R/C but is quite mechanical as he is a machinist in the shop and is into bikes, especially dirt bikes so ha can appreciate the suspension tech on these cars. In fact he wants to see me run it. I told him as soon as I have it sorted out.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Monsterman--HBF
My Feedback: (28)

Sorry to hear the run ended so soon but hey at least got to run the beast.. Hope ya get back up and running soon!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Nitro Fumes

Well, yesterday I got that little screw I needed for the throttle servo horn. So today I took it out and had fun running it properly for the first time. It sure was dry and dusty out there. That red GA dirt is red dust just kicks up rooster tails. Don't stand behind it what you punch the gas. Sometimes when I ran it away from me and I tail slid it around (you can't turn it without tail sliding it) it would disappear int the dust and I had to let it sit for a few seconds to see which way it was pointed. I sure need a shower after running it too. I cleaned off the car with compressed air after removing the body panels. My local spot for running is close to home and doesn't bother anyone. I seemed to have got plenty of run time on just 1/2 a tank. Of course having always ran nitro cars I never had anything that could run over 30 min. I really couldn't do any full throttle passes as the rear end just wants to fish tail. You have to accelerate it like a grandma. Its supposed to rain on Sat. So maybe Sunday the soil will have the right dampness for traction and keeping the dust down.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Dave ESPI

outerwears intake filter guards are a good idea )