Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Can the 5B wheelie with the 23 engine?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Can the 5B wheelie with the 23 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can the 5B wheelie with the 23 engine?

Only changes I've made are the addition of the HPI pipe and the 8000 rpm clutch-spring. Changing the spring took out that last tiny bit of hesitation, and it sure spins the tires nicely on a launch (and on grass, dirt, etc.). On pavement, it doesn't spin, but there is no bog or hesitation.

One thing I havn't done is reverse the clutch-shoes (leading vs trailing shoes). I suppose they'd grab quicker.....

Anyway, I've seen a lot of videos with the Baja doing wheelies. Do you think any of them have the stock 23cc engine?

ps: I'm not really into wanting a wheelie machine, but if it's possible, it would be kind of nice.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Can the 5B wheelie with the 23 engine?

Not a chance in the world it'll wheelie on the 23cc. Only hard ported high CC in high grip conditions with a top pipe.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Argess

Oh well......I am satsified with the slap-wheelie thing....(hits a small, unnoticeable bump while accelerating and the front comes up).
Old 04-17-2008, 01:16 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Not a chance in the world it'll wheelie on the 23cc. Only hard ported high CC in high grip conditions with a top pipe.
mine did with a ddm dom pipe on blacktop with the stock engine on first tank of fuel too....I only ran about 1/2 tank through and tore them down for bore kits though(i have no patience and ddm is too close to me)...but my stock 23cc came alive really well with just the ddm dom tuned pipe, i don't see a jetpro pulling it up for a wheelie but the dom has some kickass bottom and midrange grunt to it....jetpro is more topend, mine will stand up with the jetpro and the 29cc ported engine but doubt it would have with the stock 23cc
Old 04-17-2008, 01:22 PM
tizdaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why do you want it to wheelie anyway! ..it would annoy me doin that all the time i gave some throttle!! ..one of the reasons why ive not got a tuned pipe for my FG yet, i dread the thought of havng to put a wheely bar on it & chances are i never will (put a wheely bar on that is!)

What i will probably do when the time comes is try fit some sort of skid plate on the back (like that of nitros) instead of having wheels dangle down so it looks a bit better
Old 04-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: badz

ORIGINAL: Foxy

mine did with a ddm dom pipe on blacktop with the stock engine on first tank of fuel too....I only ran about 1/2 tank through and tore them down for bore kits though(i have no patience and ddm is too close to me)...but my stock 23cc came alive really well with just the ddm dom tuned pipe, i don't see a jetpro pulling it up for a wheelie but the dom has some kickass bottom and midrange grunt to it....jetpro is more topend, mine will stand up with the jetpro and the 29cc ported engine but doubt it would have with the stock 23cc
You must have some really sticky black top, but yeh, I know the rear dom is a torque monster. It really helps that it hangs the weight off the back too.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Argess

Well.....you are right. I don't want a wheelie machine. (Note my PS in the original post). I made the post because:

Number 1....I was wondering if it was possible because of the number of on-line videos I've seen. If they were all stock, then I'd wonder about my tuning.

Number 2, a little wheelie action won't hurt much.....i.e. if I had to stop it on an up-hill slope and then nail it to make it wheelie ...that would be OK. But I agree....an under-geared MT for example, is fun for a little bit, but then becomes a pain when you want to drive it in a more normal fashion.