Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Reversing the clutch shoes

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 02:27 PM
dimag093

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reversing the clutch shoes

Hi everyone
I just got a 8000 rpm spring for my Zen clutch
The shoes r still ok(maybe 40% material lost)
Some say mounting the shoes reversed will force the clutch to a more aggressive engagement
I wonder,should i mount them reversed?
Any of u has any experience on this subject?
Any help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Reversing the clutch shoes

Not only they engage more aggressively, but due to less slippage, they last longer.

Did you get the HPI spring? If so, and you're using the stock zenoah shoes on your FG, the engagement will be around 7000-7500, because the HPI SS clutch shoes are lightened. About the reversing, I say try it. I used to do it on a couple of my nitros, IF it made the engagement feel better. Sometimes it ruined take off, sometimes it helped it.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Putting them on backwards helps them grab right away as the reverse design sort of makes them "self-energize", HOWEVER, you sort of lose the advantage of the 8K spring.

I installed an 8K spring on my 5B. Way better launch with the 23cc engine. I had it tuned pretty well, but there was a slight hesitation when nailing the throttle. After I installed the 8K spring, the bog went away and I was quite happy with it.

Then I tried reversing the shoes. Because the shoes now grab the moment the rpms are high enough, the bog is back. When they were not reversed, they'd fly out at the same rpm, but would slip a bit before grabbing tightly. This allowed the engine to build revs a bit and lose the bog.

Basically, reversing the shoes with the 8K spring makes it act close to non-reversed shoes with the stock spring. The good part is shoes will last a lot longer. Bad part is it seems to lower the point at which things grab tightly. What we need is a 10K spring and the shoes reversed.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:46 PM
kryptonite5b
My Feedback: (-2)

i agree with argess. in my opinion he is 100% correct. the only reason i reverse the clutch is to get even wear. sometimes one of the shoe's will wear faster then the other. i constantly clean it and so i just give it a spin. i prefer it on the forward way. not reversed
Old 06-01-2008, 05:29 PM
splcrazy

i have reversed mine also and yeah it grabs agressive dont know about lasting longer though time will tell , i use the high response shoes with red spring . Before i used these shoes with an alloy bell and the shoes maybe lasted 3 runs lol i think that the alloy bell chews the highresponse shoes like butter , so now im back to a steel bell . if they wear out fast again im going back to stock shoes with the red spring