Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Smartech Thunderbolt review video...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Smartech Thunderbolt review video...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Smartech Thunderbolt review video...

Well, finally ready...

I have exactly the same performance issues as Hellya had. The engine just does not rev with this thing for a pipe. The performance is 'just' acceptable. Try to focus on the handling.

The high speed is wound right down til the spring stopped it. I'm gonna buy the carson pipe hellya recommended, and see what happens. I hope it opens up a bit with more tanks through it.

Also, bear in mind that the video will be much higher quality than youtube when posted on the review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK2jzhmN36c

Pipe...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63570.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	962412  
Old 06-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Foxy

Default RE: Smartech Thunderbolt review video...

Oooooops, wrong vid. Edited. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK2jzhmN36c
Old 06-02-2008, 07:40 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the power seemed typical for the stock pipe, it did seem to handle well but thats hard to determine when it's not really putting out much power with the sluggish performance from the stock pipe....the gear noise is pretty odd on those they sound like they are constantly rattling around. I'm curious as to how well that tiny stock air filter performs also, you snap any photos after running it that day? You had some good dust kicking up wonder if the engine digested any or the air filter actually did its job.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:54 PM
hellya

Badz take a look at my photos in my thread...the stock filter isnt very good.... esspecially if you run it in grass.... draws air from the rear cloges easy and chokes the engine

Looks like you had some fun in the sun Foxy
Old 06-02-2008, 09:08 PM
clubin

That jingling has got to be adressed by the mfg. it is annoying. Deffinetly more power would be better, well put together vid Foxy.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:51 AM
Foxy

I'll get some photos of the filter and carb, cos I too am curious if it has eaten any of that dust, which is finer than flour. It's a really good test, that dusty area, as you can see, it throws up CLOUDS! Temp on the day was 38*C (100*F), and summer hasn't even really got going here yet. It's gonna be a hot one this year. Expecting 46*C plus (114*F) beginning of august.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:34 AM
HaveBlue

I hate the jingling too, that makes it sound cheap but even more so I dont know if its just me , but that engine seemed to be labouring with the 4WD..seems like it needs to be opened up to suck some air and then a good pipe to let it unwind

To me it seemed to be a bit better in hellya's video when it was retuned, but then again I think hellya modified things a bit, like de stuffing the exhaust box and I dont remember if he did anything further(+ I'm to lazy at the moment to go back over that thread..I'll do that later)
Old 06-03-2008, 04:41 AM
dimag093

The buggy definitely lacks of power.That engine struggles to move the car .Needs a pipe the least
I expected more grunt from that 36mm bore [&:]
Other than that,it looks like a smooth run.Jumps will clarify balancing [8D]

ps: Jingle bells - Jingle bells.......
Old 06-03-2008, 05:20 AM
Foxy

I think I managed to squeeze a touch more speed out of it than hellya's first couple of vids, but there's no doubt it's labouring.

Another point I forgot to mention... that surface is much looser than the surface hellya was running on, so the diffs are unloading, again making it slower. It's a significant point that. Most of the wheelspin is coming from whichever front wheel is the lightest at the time. What this car really needs, is sealed oil filled diffs, with 20,000 in the front, 50,000 in the center and 10,000 in the rear, and a pipe. Then it would rip.

Watch the video without sound, and it looks much faster, seriously. The sound of the engine labouring deceives the brain into thinking it's going slower.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:31 AM
QIK-RX4

As most of us here in Aust found out. Lock the centre diff and you will solve the problems of it off loading to the front. As you put more power into it you will find it ends up becoming front wheel drive. Then you will find the bearings will die and the plastic diff housings will flex and then you will be where all us titan owners are....... Waiting for alloy upgrades.... [&o]
Old 06-03-2008, 05:39 AM
Mudgy

Mate I watched with the sound down and up - that donk is far from singing.
Even with sound off, I still reckon a 1/8 buggy or truggy would kill that. Sure, it's big, and scale speeds, blah blah, I see a slow car. just my 2c, don't attack me for this, its Horses for courses, whatever floats yer boat.
Good bang for your buck
Old 06-03-2008, 06:24 AM
HaveBlue

the engine is a larger bore engine which is moderately under ported with restrictive breathing both in and out, while gains are availble to help it unwind a bit the immediate problem arises in balancing the distribution between the front and rear drive.. maybe what foxy suggested for the diffs might do the trick(a make shift viscous solution?).probably will help to an extent..

The fact that you are on a loose surface makes the performance of the engine even less attractive because if its loosing grip and neither diff is locking than the engine should be free to rev or at least alleviate the larbouring by unloading to the free wheel, at least a little...it didn't seem to this at all its almost like it peaks power(under ported for capacity)and then flat lines which I believe is indicatative of engine thats stiffled and wants to breathe

**The motor issue isn't a big headache.. you can get reasonable performance from the base unit without having to go to another engine**..but I would like to get the buggy to sort that one out..comeon smartech where is it!!!!

I got a couple of idea on the diff bias..but I'll save that for later

Old 06-03-2008, 07:08 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Mudgy

Mate I watched with the sound down and up - that donk is far from singing.
Even with sound off, I still reckon a 1/8 buggy or truggy would kill that. Sure, it's big, and scale speeds, blah blah, I see a slow car. just my 2c, don't attack me for this, its Horses for courses, whatever floats yer boat.
Good bang for your buck
No, I completely agree with you, out of the box it is a 'slow car', no two ways about it, and the review text concerning how it drives (which I have now finished, another 1600 words) reflects that. The review will be updated later today.

It needs a pipe, maybe a better filter, and something done about the diffs. As you correctly say though, none of this changes the fact that it's a good value car. The purchase of a decent tuned pipe is something we all expect no matter which car we buy, but I still urge Smartech to do SOMETHING about the out of the box performance, which is 'sluggish', though not entirely unacceptable.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: QIK-RX4

As most of us here in Aust found out. Lock the centre diff and you will solve the problems of it off loading to the front. As you put more power into it you will find it ends up becoming front wheel drive. Then you will find the bearings will die and the plastic diff housings will flex and then you will be where all us titan owners are....... Waiting for alloy upgrades.... [&o]
Your diff case flexing is also due to the large wheels. If you lock the diffs completely with those monster wheels, AND put a strong motor in it, I'm not surprised some of the plastic parts are starting to give. As I say, rather than locking (which I will do if I have to), I'd rather try to find some kind of viscous solution, cos a little centre diff action is desirable. Anyway, time will tell, I will continue to improve the car, wherever possible using genuine Smartech options, and I'll keep you all updated.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:52 AM
QIK-RX4

Foxy,
Like just about all people that own a 1:5 I upgraded the engine. Funny thing is I went from a 28cc to a 29cc..... All the Titan and these other buggys / truggys are is a normal 1:8th just made bigger. Plastic isnt going to hold up. I have the same engine in my Baja and it hasnt broken a think since i put it in. Smartech need to make it stronger to start with.

Running the larger wheels doesnt realy have anything to do with it. When the titan did run it made those buggys you guys are testing look like slow electric toys. One day I will be able to get alloy, got no idea when but it will run again and last this time.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Smartechracing

1. For our " Thunder Bolt " and " Titan " RTR version, we have another choice which equipes Zenoah 23CC engine and Futaba OEM transmitter, please note.

2. We will have upgrade version for Thunder Bolt soon.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2008, 08:02 AM
Foxy

I know what the issues are man, I have a $4k baja and a $2.5k FG MB pro too, neither of which suffer from the same problems as the smartech. The baja has just as many issues out of the box, just not relating to performance, every car has different issues, and I expected to find different issues with a 4wd vehicle. Gas cars always have weaknesses in the drivetrain stock, and being 4WD, I expected more drivetrain issues. None of this was a real surprise to me.

The thunderbolt is lighter and has a lower final drive than the Titan, but hey, listen, I'm not arguing with you, I know exactly what you mean, I'm just saying that the bigger wheels is playing a role, especially when you up the power. I expect you're right that I will have the same issues you have if I put a 29cc torque monster in it, but I'd be more tempted to go the 26cc Zen route, I like top end.

I have a couple of engines I'm gonna try in the thunderbolt, but first up will be a pipe on the stock engine and silly putty in the centre diff. I'm also thinking about a self locking FG HT diff for the centre, but 114E is tough to find at the moment. Guess I'll be digging around the back of the sofa tonight.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Smartechracing

1. For our " Thunder Bolt " and " Titan " RTR version, we have another choice which equipes Zenoah 23CC engine and Futaba OEM transmitter, please note.

2. We will have upgrade version for Thunder Bolt soon.

Thanks
What are the retail prices for those cars?
Old 06-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: badz
wonder if the engine digested any or the air filter actually did its job.
Filter is working admirably. I'm still gonna put an FG one on there though.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:21 PM
aluminum crusher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the review Foxy 1 but like you said it does not rev high at all...any RC car should handle well at zombie speed. LOL
Old 06-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Foxy

Well, stock it had to be for the review, but I do plan on showing you all what it's capable of, and I will keep track of the budget too. Already ordered is an FG air filter kit. ($30). Next will be a pipe ($120ish), then $3 of silly putty for the center diff. Then we'll see what it does with a ported engine. [>:]
Old 06-03-2008, 01:33 PM
aluminum crusher

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Well, stock it had to be for the review, but I do plan on showing you all what it's capable of, and I will keep track of the budget too. Already ordered is an FG air filter kit. ($30). Next will be a pipe ($120ish), then $3 of silly putty for the center diff. Then we'll see what it does with a ported engine. [>:]
OK cool that will be sweet can't wait to see how that will perform, how long before you do this? It seems like every RC that you buy these days you have to put in an xtra 500.00 plus dollars to get it to run correctly...what's the point???
Old 06-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Foxy

Couple weeks, have to raise fundage for the pipe. I already have a reasonable engine sitting around doing nothing.

As for spending an extra $500 on hop ups, well, it's either that or spend $3k straight off on an elcon or an FG comp. I honestly believe that the Smartech will be the cheapest 4x4 to get up to a good level that's available at the moment. I'm looking forward to seeing what Redcat come up with too.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:42 PM
dgav407

Foxy, try 500,000 weight silicon oil in the center and front diff - it's almost as good as using a limited-slip diff. You will notice an immediate improvement in front end traction - this is especially true when running on dusty terrain.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:43 PM
aluminum crusher

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Couple weeks, have to raise fundage for the pipe. I already have a reasonable engine sitting around doing nothing.

As for spending an extra $500 on hop ups, well, it's either that or spend $3k straight off on an elcon or an FG comp. I honestly believe that the Smartech will be the cheapest 4x4 to get up to a good level that's available at the moment. I'm looking forward to seeing what Redcat come up with too.
Well said keep us posted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.