Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

melting spur gears on a 5b?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 09:55 PM
kryptonite5b
My Feedback: (-2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default melting spur gears on a 5b?

i have a few diffrent options to fix this problem, but just wanted other sugjestions. first of all, it is not stripping from jumps or anything as its an on-road baja 5b. it is simply just getting really hot and melting. im running an 18 tooth pinion and heat sink. i was thinking about getting the rc4wd super speed set. or i can just keep the gear ratio i have and vent the gear cover. its kinda weird couse its never happened so often. i had the same spur gear for 2 years and just recantly have replaced 2 of them from melting. i checked to make sure all "fast eddy" bearings are still good and nothing is binding past the lay shft eather. why would it get soo hot all of a sudden? if i put metal gears on, it that going to transfer the heat to my clutch carrier wich is still plastic.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:22 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Default RE: melting spur gears on a 5b?

One of the aluminum clutch holders may help the melting. It dissapates the heat faster than the plastic.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:24 PM
jasrx

your clutch might be slipping causing the whole thing to get hot?
Old 06-09-2008, 04:36 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try reversing the clutch shoes, it will make it engage a touch earlier, but will reduce slipping, thereby reducing heat transferred to the pinion from the clutch. Next suggestion would be a vented clutch bell and an alloy CB carrier, then finally, steel gears.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:29 AM
vertigo performance

When the plastic carrier heats up it flexes allowing the spur/pinion mesh the tighten and loosen causing the gear to strip
Old 06-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Monsterman--HBF
My Feedback: (28)

Go to Daves Motors and get yourself the Enclosed Clutch Bell Carrier and a Turtle Racing Steel Clutch Bell you will never have a problem again.. I am running the same set up with no probs for months now..
AdA is the maker of the enclosed cb carrier btw...

Good luck bud

Old 06-09-2008, 08:41 AM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

TemGonads finally has the RAMTech enclosed clutch holder in stock now. DDM should hav ethem in a few days.

[link=http://www.teamgonads.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9115&Category_Code=hpiram&Product_Count=12]TGN clutch holder[/link]
Old 06-09-2008, 10:38 AM
vertigo performance

There is a new clutch bell coming next week to market, it is vented and will not hold dirt in, it is designed to force dirt out.
Also there are several options for covers and carriers.

There are 2 different types of covers here

http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product2622.html This one gives the clutch ventilation in such a way dirt doesn't get in and the clutch stays cooler
http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product2613.html This one comes in several colours to suit your cars paint theme

Or just the carrier themselves

http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product2129.html
http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product2217.html
Old 06-09-2008, 02:05 PM
kryptonite5b
My Feedback: (-2)

so i guess i was looking in the wrong direction. it seems that the couse of my problem could be my clutch carrier? hmm. i dont feel my clutch slipping, but it does have about six gallons on it. i think im going to go with the gh clutch carrier and rc4wd speed set as well as a new clutch. i guess the new wheels and tires will have to wait..