Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

My strictly unofficial Baja 5B SS thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

My strictly unofficial Baja 5B SS thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 09:02 AM
ArildS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My strictly unofficial Baja 5B SS thread

I am starting a Baja 5B SS build thread. Didn't find one, and this beautiful RC really deserves one here on RCU.

As I am a very busy person I may not be able to finish the RC in a flash, but I would really like comments and post from other builders so we can enjoy this cool RC together. Owners of Bajas as well as any other poster is welcome to comment.

Also I would really like to see some body paint jobs if you guys out there have some ideas as to how I should paint mine. I have 3 clear bodies. Please post your pictures

EDIT:
There was a 5 page thread already made a while ago as the mod made me aware of.
I certainly did not mean to barge in the door as the MOD kindly put it
There are also many ohter threads dedicated large scale RCs so if you guys out there feel strongly this thread wont be needed then let me know.
The Baja 5B SS is certainly not brand new, but I imagine build threads have been started of old RCs before.
I've also renamed the thread as the MOD didn't appreciate it being an Official thread. It is certainly strictly unofficial.
My intention is to post great pictures of this car first as I build it and later as I drive it for any posters appreciate.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:08 AM
ArildS

Default RE: Unofficial official Baja 5B SS thread

Box art. The box is somewhat higher than the TXT-1 box but a little bit smaller in one other axis.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84347.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	968576   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43417.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	968577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58073.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	968578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84607.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	968579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Am73574.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	968580  
Old 06-11-2008, 09:17 AM
ArildS

The most important part. The power plant. It's a bit more significant than the Tamiya silver cans
HPI packed the engine smart. It was crammed into a cardboard box totally immersed in air filters [8D]

Name:	Qo39597.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	968583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51967.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	968584  
Old 06-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will have one of that one of these days...

Nice "used" Baja 5B SS, by the way...
Old 06-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Foxy

There are already a number of helpful threads about this car, here are some of the more memorable ones which may help you out...

Baja SS first sighting... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6166477
A random SS discussion... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7415510
Yet another random SS discussion... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7349899
And another... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7054534
SS V RTR as a base model for modding... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6749939

Dave's 5 page build thread... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6757935

Picture threads...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7009349
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6448629

And the daddy of the large scale picture threads...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2489993/tm.htm
Old 06-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Foxy

Oh and by the way, the build isn't tough for most modellers, but the car gets MIGHTY heavy toward the end of a 9 hour build session!!

Be liberal with the threadlock and the transmission grease.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:50 AM
ArildS

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Oh and by the way, the build isn't tough for most modellers, but the car gets MIGHTY heavy toward the end of a 9 hour build session!!

Good tips there on the threadlock. I imagine the Baja will need it. I guess you mean the blue one (not permanent).
Old 06-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Foxy

Default RE: My strictly unofficial Baja 5B SS thread

You will want some red, but mostly blue. Engine bolts which go through the bottom of the chassis, I would recommend red, and the same for the clutch bell screw, but it's your choice. Blue will do the job in those areas, but may need regular checking. Bear in mind, anywhere you do use red, will need a lot of heat to get the screw out again. I consider a small pentorch essential equipment for baja disassembly.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:13 AM
frumpy

Just a quick comment here,Lunchboxer how the hell do you amass 30,000+ posts since 2006?Do you ever sleep?lol
Old 06-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Lunchboxer

Dedication..... (joke)

ORIGINAL: frumpy

Just a quick comment here,Lunchboxer how the hell do you amass 30,000+ posts since 2006?Do you ever sleep?lol
Old 06-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Nitro Fumes

It sure gets heavy when you start to put the sub-assemblies together into the final assembly.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:53 AM
ArildS

I notice everyone saying this car is heavy. That means a lot of momentum when driving it. Any idea about which parts break in crashes? Which hop ups are recommended etc.?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Foxy

Upgrade what you break. First breakages will likely be dogbones and if you jump, shock shafts. The car is actually a really solid RC, it's tough to break in all but the most serious accidents.

Your first hop ups/extras should be a set of outerwears (one for the filter and one for the pullstart cover), and a set of axle extenders, as the rear rims rub on the arms at full suspension compression and extension. Not only do they solve this issue, but the extra stability from the wider stance is very helpful in preventing rollovers when cornering, which is why I personally also recommend the front set as well as the rear.

Apart from that, as I say, upgrade as you break. Fully assembled the car will weigh about 12 kilos and travel at around 70kph. Pretty awesome, which is why a lot of people invest in engine cut off failsafes too, as a runaway Baja could do serious damage to property, and people.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:46 PM
DIABLOTAC78

get the turtle racing upper brace and then add also a diego front chassis brace . this will help on frontal crash ahh and a ds bumper. and be carefull of your bank account cause this is addicting
Old 06-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Dave ESPI

Welcome to the SS club. [8D]
Old 06-12-2008, 08:34 AM
ArildS

I'm going away for the extended weekend but just had to check out the tires and rims. I'm told the Baja 5B SS is a relatively simple and fast build. The bead locked rims though, take time if you screw all hex screws by hand. I would recommend using only hand power too as it is easy to tighten too hard.

I've shot some pics with some DF03 Avante Mk II wheels for comparison to those as new to large scale as I am.

Name:	Bz76782.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	969096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64423.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	969097  
Old 06-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Foxy

Yeh, when I change the tires, I bring the wheels inside and do it while watching TV or something, otherwise I'd kill myself from the boredom. lol

PS. Nobody said it was a fast build. But it is easy.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:26 AM
ArildS

Yeh, when I change the tires, I bring the wheels inside and do it while watching TV or something, otherwise I'd kill myself from the boredom. lol

The manual says to use 'Rubber Cement' to glue the front tire foam together. Do you know of any other type of glue that can be used?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:33 AM
ArildS

One other thingy. How many tanks of fuel would you say it takes to wear down the rear wheels on dirt ground. Or to put it another way: How many sets of tires should I stock up for the summer
Old 06-12-2008, 10:25 AM
ArildS

Here is a very cool video from the twin Baja project by Brice_arnold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk8X_gEsMU4

I don't think you get a cooler mod than that.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Foxy

Buy a set of Proline badlands as soon as possible (if you still have the pic of my baja, those are the badlands on the rear), and an appropriate set of front tires too (like the dirt buster front blocks for dirt running).

Tanks of fuel to wear away a set of rear badlands through regular dirt running... hm... there's something I never really considered. I suppose it depends how abrasive the dirt is. I'd have to guess, and say, I dunno... 50? As for fronts, they'll last a loooooong time. My new front 'block' pattern dirt busters happen to be sitting on my desk right now, so I snapped a pic, here it is... I really like the way they make the front of the car look so much more aggressive, and on loose surfaces, I'm sure they'll be a hell of a lot better than the stock front ribbed tires.

By the way, nearly forgot, hostilehobbies MX tires are totally insane on the block pattern, they have the most aggressive tread you have ever seen on an RC, check them out. They also last a long time, but can be tough to find in stock (everyone snaps them up, every batch), and are pretty pricey, but probably worth it. They're more for soft ground running I suppose.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: ArildS

Here is a very cool video from the twin Baja project by Brice_arnold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk8X_gEsMU4

I don't think you get a cooler mod than that.
We saw it when he did it (personally, I was afforded a glimpse (thanks guys) before RCX). Yeh, it's pretty cool, but not as cool as the 4x4 that was stolen from him. (search for 'stolen baja prototype')
Old 06-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: ArildS

The manual says to use 'Rubber Cement' to glue the front tire foam together. Do you know of any other type of glue that can be used?
Didn't notice this post. You should use rubber cement, it's easy to find. It's that glue that smells great, that you use when building plastic static models. You know, the clear stuff? It's good cos it will retain a little bit of flexibility, and slightly melt the insert material to itself, but if you really don't want to go buy a tube, I guess you could get away with regular CA (superglue).
Old 06-15-2008, 04:19 PM
ArildS

Have any Baja 5B (and 5B SS) owners noticed that the tires smell quite strongly? I am talking about the stock tires here. Mine smell so strongly of hydrocarbons that 'the wife' have ordered me to put them in the garage until they 'sublime' to a more manageable smell level.

LOL. Can't do anything but laugh about this, but they do really smell quite strongly.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:24 PM
ArildS

Didn't notice this post. You should use rubber cement, it's easy to find. It's that glue that smells great, that you use when building plastic static models. You know, the clear stuff? It's good cos it will retain a little bit of flexibility, and slightly melt the insert material to itself, but if you really don't want to go buy a tube, I guess you could get away with regular CA (superglue).
I found something called 3M Scotch-Weld, which is a strong and fast spray glue. It will glue PP and PE plastics in a safe way, AND the insert foam material according to the reseller. This is more like general information, but I imagine Baja owners will find it useful when they glue their front tire inserts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.