Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Hobbythek purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:13 PM
brent1972indy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbythek purchase

Which diff. conversion do I get for my shengqi/fhmt? Will my existing internal gears work? Also, is there a special tool I need for re-installing the internal gears?

http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/lsh...35fg_6512,.htm

or

http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/cgi...14276361-23277

I think I will also order the coarse pitch pinion and ring gear and also the large alloy motor mount from hobbythek.
If I buy all this expensive German stuff I better never hear grinding gears again.[:@]
Old 06-24-2008, 12:44 AM
Cal-Torque

Default RE: Hobbythek purchase

Get it from Krikke
They won't charge you Euro tax, and they're probably cheaper to begin with.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:43 PM
brent1972indy

anyone else?
Old 06-24-2008, 06:35 PM
frumpy

hellya should chime in here soon,I think he can answer this
Old 06-24-2008, 07:29 PM
looker2756

My idea is .... I'll bring you another SS to the track. Your dumping money in a bad design. The Redcat is so much better if your looking for a monster truck. Sorry dude, that truck is never going to be much more than it was when you got it.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: looker2756

My idea is .... I'll bring you another SS to the track. Your dumping money in a bad design. The Redcat is so much better if your looking for a monster truck. Sorry dude, that truck is never going to be much more than it was when you got it.
It may not be the best quality, but it's an FG clone. Kinda hard to justify saying the FG is a bad design. [&:] Spend a bit of cash on hop ups, and it'll be better than a stock redcat. Agreed, if he had bought a redcat in the first place, it would be cheaper to have a good truck by the end, but since he has it now, he might as well spend the little required to get it up to FG spec.

As for redcat being a great design, I'm not saying it's not, but there's no long term feedback yet. No RC is perfect out of the box. The thing that the redcat has going for it, is Darin's great support and a bunch of great hop up makers. The design is similar to all the other Chinese cars, albeit mostly original.

Besides, the Redcat is a 4x4. Apples and oranges. One thing's for sure, the Shenqi will be faster with the same engine. Less drivetrain and no right angles in the drivetrain. Much more efficient 2wd, with the sacrifice of handling of course, but I find 2 wheelers more fun off road.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:29 PM
hellya

the bottom link is the right one......... order all you need in 1 shoot shipping starts @$60

BTB did a pictorial I borrowed these from him
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24207.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	977901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75132.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	977902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97778.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	977903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94120.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	977904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15284.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	977905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10592.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	977906  
Old 06-24-2008, 09:37 PM
looker2756

I'll know I have more experience with the Smartech & the Redcat than pretty much anyone here. I sell both models & know the real differences. Although I can not share them as I will be told I'm pushing something. The FG models are of what I consider Good quality as well, but your still talking 4x4 vs 2 wd. I can't say much about the shengqi. Other than I have seen & drove Brent's truck & was attempting to help him in making a good decision.

Representing Largescalerc
Old 06-24-2008, 11:02 PM
hellya

dont forget a steel clutch bell pinion too i believe that largescalerc/innovativehobbies sells them $22
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40605.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	977941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12118.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	977942  
Old 06-25-2008, 02:55 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: looker2756

I'll know I have more experience with the Smartech & the Redcat than pretty much anyone here. I sell both models & know the real differences. Although I can not share them as I will be told I'm pushing something. The FG models are of what I consider Good quality as well, but your still talking 4x4 vs 2 wd. I can't say much about the shengqi. Other than I have seen & drove Brent's truck & was attempting to help him in making a good decision.

I understand, I was just a little taken aback to see you say the truck sucks and he should get a redcat! I understand your motivation to help though, no worries.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Big Boys Toys and Hobbies

I have those in stock and I am in The United States!!
Old 06-25-2008, 03:40 PM
looker2756

I did not say his truck is junk. I was simply making a comparison. Say your building a Drag car. Start with an old Ford Pinto & an Old Mustang. You will spend way more time & money on the Pinto to still not have a very good racer. The Mustang on the other hand is half way there already. With a few good mods in the right places, You have a Real race car. This is my point to these vehicles as well. If you start with a beginner model & attempt to turn it into an EVO FG model. It won't happen without tons of money & tons of work. Still probably not achieveing the level of performance of a engineered racing machine.

Brent, You can spend the money, but it will never keep gear failures out completely. This FG wide ring gear sits on my desk every day. Notice the missing tooth ! This come off a Drag FG we built here & the rest of the gear is like Brand new. We still have no clue as to why the tooth broke off ...

Old 06-25-2008, 05:34 PM
brent1972indy

ORIGINAL: Big Boys Toys and Hobbies

I have those in stock and I am in The United States!!
Those? I need the alloy large engine mount for the fhmt. If you have that then cool. Wherever I can get that (probably hobbythek) is where I will get the layshaft pinion and alloy diff.