Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

What motor???

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:32 AM
truckguy121

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What motor???

Hey all,
I'm looking to build a 1:4 scale 4x4 monster truck. I'm new to the RC world and learning more each day. I would like some help on choosing the right motor(gas/nitro). I would like it to have gobs of torque for climbing, pulling, and getting through mud but also would like a top speed of some where around 25-30mph. Any suggestions on what brand/size would fit this application best??

Also, who makes a good fromt and rear axle for 1:4 scale 4x4 and decent shocks as well.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What motor???

I would suggest a 30.5 CY with a strong low end pipe to start with, like an X-can, as they are relatively cheap options, and if it doesn't work, it will be easy to sell on. If it was inadequate (which I highly doubt depending on overall weight of your truck, these big bores have tons of bottom end), then you would need to look at increasing the displacement further. There's a vid on youtube of an FG with an alleged 35cc engine in it, though I don't know what brand it was. When he gunned the throttle it was straight flipping over backwards. As for axles, I've no idea I'm afraid. Might be worth poking your head into the crawlers forum for that, but again, I don't really know, as I'm not into crawlers either!!

Um, hope I helped... a little?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Dave ESPI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What motor???

welcome to the builders debacle......... Shocks, and rear axles are the failing point of a lot of large scale scratch build projects.

There is a guy on this forum who supposedly is making new skellenger rear ends, but still needs to finish the machining process.

its been a year or so now, and have not seen any completed rear ends, but he has a lot of irons in the fire. Hopefully we will see something before x-mas.