Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

TQ / Shenqi Hummer ?

Old 07-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Kaz the Minotaur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TQ / Shenqi Hummer ?

Hello. I am looking at getting this truck:

I've seen the brand advertised as both TQ and Shenqi? Are parts available easily? Are parts from other brands compatable? What tuned pipes fit? What parts seem to break first? Thanks.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:41 PM
brent1972indy

Default RE: TQ / Shenqi Hummer ?

DO NOT BUY THAT TRUCK!! I did and it is pure junk. Had to dump a ton of money in it. Get the Duratrax firehammer mt instead. It will be cheaper in the long run. TRUST ME!
Old 07-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Kaz the Minotaur

Is there a lot of after market support for the Firehammer? Parts availability? Is there a good selection of tuned pipes that fit? Where is a good place to get the Firehammer? Is it 4X4?
Old 07-04-2008, 07:42 PM
davido666

I just bought one on ebay and mine is still running fine. Just give it a once over when you get it. My truck was missing one engine mount bolt so I ran over to the hardware store and bought one. I won mine for $305 on ebay plus 109 shipping. The only problem I have had is the rear drive shaft that turns the differential was not spaced right and the bearing on the inside of the truck fell out. The bearing support for the clutch bell bearing and drive shaft was not made correct. The bearing hole for the drive shaft was to deep. I have a new one on order from duratrax but it is on backorder. I had to reshim the shaft and set it up for now. I found that some of the set screws were striped that hold the gear on but I fix that. Most of the duratrax firehammer MT parts will fit the truck. I have heard that it is the same plant that make both trucks. My LHS can get me spare parts for it from duratrax. Also watch the C clips that hold on the spur gear and clutch bell gear. The metal is soft and when I put the clips back on the fell off. I just got a set of harder c clips instead. I have order the upgraded duratrax two stage filter and I am going to replace the one that came on the truck. It does not seal that well around the carb and it can let dust in. The engine starts very easy and runs great. I just run a good 2 cycle amsol oil with the gas. I like the battery holder that came with it. It holds 5 double A batteries. I put in five 2100 nimh cells and use my recharger to recharge the pack. I used electrical tape aroung the pack to hold the cells in. Look on www.towerhobbies.com for firehammer prices of the parts. The parts are a good price. I added a failsafe with the stock radio that I had kicking around. Later I want to install my DX2.0 radio when I have time. I took my truck out with some guys who have FG's and HPI baja's and I kept up with them and went home with no broken parts. I figure for what I payed for the truck I can afford to buy spare parts and still be ahead. My LHS sells the duratrax firehammer MT for 999.00 Canadian and when you add tax to that I made a great deal. So far I like the truck and I am happy with it.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Kaz the Minotaur

Thanks.

Do you know if any decent pipes fit it with out hacking up the Hummer body?
Old 07-04-2008, 08:40 PM
davido666

I kind of like the sound of the stock exhaust. The one guy I was racing with said it pipe made it sound like a hotrod and it sounds mean and deep. I understand a ddm for the firehammer will fit but I don't know if you will have to hack up the body. The hummer body is really wide and there is about a 1 inch clearance between the body and frame at the rear.
DDM "Dominator" Chrome Torque Pipe for:
FG MT5 Monster Truck
FG Monster Beetle
Duratrax Firehammer MT
XTM Grizzly
DDM Inventory Item fd140
from www.davesmotors.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65112.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	984174  
Old 07-04-2008, 11:09 PM
brent1972indy

The humvee shengqi is junk. The body is brittle and will need replaced after a couple flips. The wheels are trash and the centers will break out on you. The plastics are very low grade and all of my plastic parts have been replaced with the firehammer parts. Also replaced my wheels with firehammer wheels. Had to replace the junk engine. The radio that comes with it is something I would not trust with my sons walmart batmobile and replaced it right away. I am currently broke down replacing the junk differential. My "use to be" shengqi is now 75% firehammer mt, 10% FG and 15% shengqi and I have only had it for 3 months! Do the math...85% of it has been replaced because of junk china parts. They are not made in the same factory. I put a ddm torque pipe on and had to cut out the hummer in the rear. I now have an fg monster beetle body for it. So for real dude...I went thru hell with that truck and so will you and so will davido666. Notice how he said "I just bought one on ebay". His problems will come very soon just as mine did. Spend the extra money and get an FHMT or even a used one. Read thru some of my posts and follow the bullsh*t I went thru with that truck.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:55 AM
Kaz the Minotaur

Thank you.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:40 AM
davido666

I was just saying I have had it for two weeks and I have been using it. You must drive hard with your vehicles. It all depends on the way some people drive and on how some people maintain the vehicle. I will admitt the body is a little weak. I did flip the truck 360 over the front end and I did crack the body. But you must remember it is a hobby and these vehicles will break and if anyone tells you different they are lying. I was out with some guys who had a baja and three FG's and all there vehicles stop and broke something while I was there and mine was still going when I left. It all has to do with how hard you bash and how well you drive.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:46 PM
mbe301

I've run mine for over a month, average 15-20 min a day. No big problems so far (besides a head bolt that was 2mm to short and snapped out, if I hadn't caught it, probably would of wrecked the engine, found a few others that would be problems but easy fixes) But I also checked everything over a few times (a must, true of most RTRs). Still a good deal IMO. I can get a tuned pipe, head kit, steel pinion, a few other goodies, and still be less than the Firehammer. The radio is probably no good, but I've got my spektrum in it (didn't trust the stock radio enough to even fire up the engine, throttle twitched everytime I turned left) If you like to work on them, buy the TQ. If you want to actually run it almost right out of the box (should still check all screws etc.) get the duratrax. The TQ body is pretty bad and will most likely break the first time you roll (or broken in shipping and UPS can buy you the backup shell). Fibreglass tape and goop fixes that. Keeping in mind the TQ's quality control will be lower than Duratrax, you may get one well assembled, you may also get an almost complete pos... So save some money (with risk, possibly lots) and get TQ or pay more (with peice of mind, better support from staff at LHS and Duratrax replacement program) and get the Duratrax. So ya, clear as mud.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:37 PM
davido666

Thats so true. I paid $415 US (450 canadian with exchange and tax) with shipping and for me to buy a firehammer in town it would have cost me $1130 canadian with tax. Even if I have to buy parts I am still ahead at this point. By my math I have 680 dollars left to buy parts and upgrades.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:36 AM
Bratch96

ORIGINAL: davido666

Thats so true. I paid $415 US (450 canadian with exchange and tax) with shipping and for me to buy a firehammer in town it would have cost me $1130 canadian with tax. Even if I have to buy parts I am still ahead at this point. By my math I have 680 dollars left to buy parts and upgrades.

Exactly.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:18 AM
Mr Terminator

Dont let Smartech see you saying that the Shenqi Hummer and the Firehammer are made in the same factory,they get real upset as I know when all I said is that they are similar.The come back they gave me was ,WE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH SHENQI....
Old 07-06-2008, 09:20 AM
davido666

Way to funny.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:50 AM
davido666

Just an update on my humvee.
So far I have not broke anything. I replace the air filter with the duratrax 2 stage one. Today I was trying to tune the carb a little better because I was not pleased with the top end. I was tuning it and opening it up on the road when the green silicon extension blew off the exhaust and when that happened it took off like a rocket. With the green extension off it made a huge difference with performance.
Here is a video of the weekend with the other guys. My hummer still had the extension on and I want to take it out on sunday again and try it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6rmxVtBtAU
Old 07-16-2008, 10:53 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Kaz, I have owned a Firehammer buggy for three years. I have enjoyed it and bashed it hard. Stock parts are very easy to obtain from any Duratrax or XTM dealer or Tower Hobbies.

Aftermarket hop-ups is an issue in my opinion. Smartech makes the Duratrax Firehammer and XTM Racing buggy (as well as Carson buggies and trucks in UK). You can use a lot of FG hop-up parts but not all. There are some specific Smartech/Duratrax clone parts but only a handful of suppliers sell the parts and very few are in the US.

If you are concerned about aftermarket parts availability and have the budget I'd recommend an FG or HPI Baja. There's a lot of support for these vehicles (especially HPI here in the US).

If you are concerned about cost of FG and HPI Baja then check out the ads here on RCU. You can pick up a used gasser for $600 - $1000. These will have some wear and tear but you'd be surprised how well these vehicles hold up to bashing and how (relatively) inexpensive it is to repair broken parts. The gasser engines are very robust and usually won't give any trouble.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:01 PM
CFLARGESCALERACING

CHECK OUT THE REVIEW AT WWW.MYSPACE.COM/CFLARGESCALERACING, IT MAY HELP
Old 10-01-2008, 02:23 AM
splcrazy

have you seen the 1/4 scale hummer at oversizerc , it sounds good for the price but i dont see any spare parts for it and i dont buy nothing unless i see a spare parts support
Old 10-01-2008, 01:49 PM
migurami23

Kaz I don’t know if you made the decision on the shengqi humvee, however keep in mind that you get what you pay for. not to say any ting negative of davido666 but he mention that the day he went bashing with guys that have FGs and HPI bajas all there vehicles stop and broke sometime while he was there and his was still going until he left.but if you see the video the only cars that were jumping and bashing and having fun were the FGs and the HPI bajas the humvee was just running in circles and only ones did it go for a small jump,so of course the other cars broke they had a legitimate reason. What aim trying to tell you is save your money and get a better car and you will be happier in the long run. Remember you get what you pay for.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:59 PM
mbe301

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_77...tm.htm#7722590

Good choice Kaz!
Old 10-01-2008, 06:11 PM
davido666

ORIGINAL: migurami23

Kaz I don’t know if you made the decision on the shengqi humvee, however keep in mind that you get what you pay for. not to say any ting negative of davido666 but he mention that the day he went bashing with guys that have FGs and HPI bajas all there vehicles stop and broke sometime while he was there and his was still going until he left.but if you see the video the only cars that were jumping and bashing and having fun were the FGs and the HPI bajas the humvee was just running in circles and only ones did it go for a small jump,so of course the other cars broke they had a legitimate reason. What aim trying to tell you is save your money and get a better car and you will be happier in the long run. Remember you get what you pay for.
The guy shooting the video did not get any of the shots of my jumps. There were to many vehicles for him to follow.[:@]
Old 10-01-2008, 06:50 PM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: Mr Terminator

Dont let Smartech see you saying that the Shenqi Hummer and the Firehammer are made in the same factory,they get real upset as I know when all I said is that they are similar.The come back they gave me was ,WE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH SHENQI....
The Ironic thing is Smartech was a company that made a clone ripoff of the T-maxx, yet they get mad when their product is cloned. Very funny.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:49 PM
davido666

All that matters is I can buy duratrax firehammer parts real cheap at my LHS and FG upgrades will fit it if I want to get them. I am still waiting for a front body mount but i glued the one I have on it (part is on backorder). I had one to many roll overs and bad landings. I will try to go out this weekend and try to get some footage. I just put a DDM exhaust on it and I want to see how it will run. The 23 engine really opens up on it when I took it out on the street.
People jump all over vehicles when they don't work for them. The thing to remember how many people have bought a firehammer or a smartech and have no complaints about it. Just remember they all break. There is no perfect vehicle out there.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:58 AM
mbe301

Or they want people to know they're different companies... never seen them get mad at being "cloned" though.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Kaz the Minotaur

I got a RedCat Racing Rampage a while back and I am happy with it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.