Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Boost Bottles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 01:18 PM
turbodremz23
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost Bottles?

I know the MIP boost bottles made a small difference on some of my nitro cars, but do they really do anything for large scale, and if so is really worth $40?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95365.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	984428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81687.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	984429   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26253.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	984430  
Old 07-05-2008, 07:07 PM
DarkSoul Racing

Default RE: Boost Bottles?

Lunatik did a dyno test on another website where he tested these, and at best, it did nothing, but at some point, the engine actually lost power. i am sure if you shot Lunatik a PM he may post the results, or they may actually be up on his site.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:58 PM
nothinbetr2do

don't waist your money, if you buy one of those that's all you'll be doing.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:49 PM
turbodremz23

I went back and looked at some other threads about these and decided not to bother with them...

I guess with the ones I have used on my nitro cars, I had seen some gains, but they were for specific engines, not a "universal" application
Old 07-06-2008, 12:15 AM
splcrazy

Could superchargers work on a baja5b or turbo from the exhaust
Old 07-06-2008, 12:18 AM
turbodremz23

i would assume that it would make some difference if there was a supercharger or turbo small enough...but even a small IHI turbocharger is bigger than the engines..

there would have to be a small scale version similar to the RB Innovations superchargers..
Old 07-06-2008, 02:46 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NOS has been found to be extremely effective, but makes tuning a nightmare, since you want one tune for when the NOS is on, and another for when it's off. These are still in development.

I don't think a turbo is really feasible, but I've often wondered why there are no superchargers. I think basically, the answer is that a 6 hp top of the line engine already puts out too much power for most of our cars to stand, so there's actually no need to add more.

One of our members, Monaroman, did some testing on a DIY NOS system, and posted videos, quite effective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaSjoo6uKPU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIhK_UlJ6nY
Old 07-06-2008, 09:31 AM
DarkSoul Racing

If you look at how a 2t engine works, it is basically already a compressor (supercharger). Air/fuel is drawn into the crank case, the piston compresses it on the downstroke, and when the transfers open, it is blown into the combustion chamber. To add essentially another compressor (supercharger), you have to consider a couple of things. What is the supercharger going to do with its charge while the intake is closed? There is no plenum to store it, so you would need to add a "storage plenum". Now you need to find correct volume and so on, which would be virtually impossible since the volume (pressure) the supercharger generates would change based on RPM, so now add a blow off valve (more complexity, more money). So if we solved the first set of problems, how do we keep the added pressure from blowing the cylinder off? There are now a/c 4 bolt heads (and even our 4 bolt marine conversions), but even those can have base gaskets blown out without an added supercharger.

I personally don't see this as a viable means of adding HP to a 2t, not to say it cannot be done, but I doubt that the added benefits would be worth the cost to do so.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:31 PM
splcrazy

what about twin piston heads , my air compressor has a twin cylinder head lol
Old 07-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

yeah i know a guy who tried a boost kit. From a stand still it'd bog for a while then suddenly take off as it should, totally killed low end throttle responce and gave no other noticable improvement, wasn't an issue that could be tuned out either. Was to time & money.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:41 PM
hellya

Anyone whos tried this says it works... Nos kit...I would like to see a dyno on this Lunitic (hint hint)

http://www.oneillcart.com/cgi-bin/sh...ry%3D%26sku%3D

Video http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rccar/...sterbeetle.wmv
Old 07-06-2008, 06:48 PM
turbodremz23

I looked at the no2 kits from RB Innovations. didnt know there was another company that offered one.

MY question about these kits is, are they actually using nitrous oxide, or co2 cartridges? cause if it is no2, when all the cartridges are gone, you need to order more right? I have easy access to no2, and even have a few sneaky pete bottles that are refillable and arent very big at all...

I might have enough parts to build my own system, but would have to rig a mount to my KM for the bottle and solenoids..then calculate the size of jetting to use to not blow the engine up, or run it too lean...

anyone know what kind of jetting is used for the rc nitrous kits? voltage? etc...
Old 07-06-2008, 06:52 PM
hellya

you know the deal add the heat to the cylinders and [X(] just have a few head kits laying aroung until you get it dialed in
Old 07-06-2008, 06:59 PM
turbodremz23

i think my CY may be the test dummy for this...not the Zen...

mabey the CY will come in very handy..

once its rebuilt and broke in i will start some bench testing with pictures and video..
Old 07-06-2008, 07:00 PM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: hellya

Anyone whos tried this says it works... Nos kit...I would like to see a dyno on this Lunitic (hint hint)

http://www.oneillcart.com/cgi-bin/sh...ry%3D%26sku%3D

Video http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rccar/...sterbeetle.wmv
im intersted in that nos kit , but since they have an option for buying more catriges , looks like to me that when they get empty you cant re fill them and must keep buying cartridges from oneils
Old 07-06-2008, 07:01 PM
hellya

this thread might help http://www. hpibajaforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16422&highlight=nos+kit (remove the spaces)
Old 07-06-2008, 07:22 PM
turbodremz23

yes I have seen that..been watching his progress for sometime now.

but I have everything needed, and even have a couple small solenoids that can operate off a lower voltage instead of 12v.

I was thinking of using the circuit board from an old servo, and placing leads where the servo motor should be and running the solenoid off the servo's pc board. I think the voltage output should be enough to trigger the solenoid and give a nice shot..but I need to test the voltage output vs. the solenoid.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:46 PM
splcrazy

i found this site boostinductionsystems.com ,
Old 07-06-2008, 08:07 PM
turbodremz23

thats the company that makes the boost bottles that i posted pictures of at the top of the thread...
Old 07-06-2008, 08:58 PM
splcrazy

how do you trigger the nos to go in the baja motor , all i see is the boost bottle with a tube threaded into the manifold ?
Old 07-06-2008, 09:49 PM
turbodremz23

your looking at just a boost bottle..

the no2 setups have a solenoid with the no2 cartridges
Old 07-06-2008, 10:25 PM
hellya

Here a dyno for this engine with and without nos

Complete 26cc heli engine fitted with nitrous oxide system. This is a serious engine, complete brand new 26cc heli engine(never been fitted in a car, only dyno tested) fitted with a professional nitrous oxide kit. Dyno tested up to 12 bhp!.
Basically a complete motorcycle nitrous kit, including a 0.5kg nitrous bottle, solenoids(wet system), range of jets etc(additional 2.5bhp upwards…). The nitrous system alone costs over £500
Custom made nitrous controller pcb, engine rpm input with throttle servo connection, automatically operates n20 system at full throttle and between 8000 and 18000rpm.

Obviously this engine cannot be used in any racing series!, but as a fun/demo engine fitted in a monster truck or similar, it would be outrageous!.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75855.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	985326  
Old 07-07-2008, 02:05 AM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

Unless your going to fit a wet NX kit then there really is no point other then to run extreemly rich one minuite then to have some power the next. The real deal will be to run normal then run really powerful.

Dry kits are only suitable for modern cars with oxygen sensors that can richen the mixture when they detect more O2, which the NX will fool the sensor thinking its detected - unfortunatly our hobby engines don't have oxygen sensors...
Old 07-07-2008, 02:23 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats the real trick, the mixture has to be adjustable on the fly basically.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:32 AM
splcrazy

how are the solenoids activated and does all the stuff nessasary to complete the install come complete ? do yous all reakon i should put on a nos kit on my already 7to 8 plus HP baja engine lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.